X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jpgarrido
    • Dec 2006

Verus Pro Hardware questions

Hello,

1) I have a Verus Pro on Demo this week (I am going to buy, nice platform!). I have some questions though. The Snappy web site says this pro unit is supposed to have a 250G HD. Examining the unit it only has 160G. Is this unit an early build or is the web advertizing wrong?

2) The Camera feature is listed as 2Mp. I took a few pictures with it and they come out as 40-70kb. How do you adjust the camera to get better resolution.

3) How do I run the scope and scanner functions at the same time like the advertizing shows? I watched the Level one and two PDF training movies with Jim Moritz (good to see Jim still in the game, he is a real value). In the level one presentation starting at slide 135 they show how to tile the component test window along with the scanner window. In demo mode when I reduce the component tester I come back to the windows desktop not the Shopstream suit screen as the training shows so how do I launch another shopstream app?

Thank you.
    Jim
  • badcoupe
    • Jan 2011

Hit the home button while in either scope or scanner and then select the other. You can make the scope screen where it can be minimized or Maximized from the bottom of the screen so you can use both simutaneously

Comment

• sbreland73
      • Jan 2009

1> It should be a 250GB drive. It has been partitioned to contain the recovery software that restores the unit in case of a software malfunction. If you were to view the drive in the Computer Management Console, you will se that the primary partition is listed @ 166.48GB and a logical partition with two sections. The section you can use is your <D:> drive with 57.06GB and a reserved system backup section with 9.35GB (you won't see this section in Windows). You add this up to get 232.89GB of usable space (a hard drive's size is based on a block measuring system that differs between operating systems).

2> Keep in mind that an image sensor's rated pixel count does not equate to the output file size. Also with jpeg images, there is a high level of compression. The dimension of the image should be 1280x960 pixels. So it is more like a 1.2Mp sensor (1228800 pixels). Actual image file size will vary with the image content. If you snap a photo of a black wall, there is very little real info for the sensor to capture, compared to a bed of flowers with lots of color and detail.

3> You must use the "Component Test" part first, then "undock" that window. To the far right of the menu bar you will see "Meter", click that to cycle you through the dock choices. When you get to where the meter window is smaller, and you can see the "Component Test" screen, then minimize the meter window and go back to the scanner menu in Atlas.

Hope this has helped.
      S. Breland

Comment

• jpgarrido
        • Dec 2006

Originally posted by sbreland73
        1> It should be a 250GB drive. It has been partitioned to contain the recovery software that restores the unit in case of a software malfunction. If you were to view the drive in the Computer Management Console, you will se that the primary partition is listed @ 166.48GB and a logical partition with two sections. The section you can use is your <D:> drive with 57.06GB and a reserved system backup section with 9.35GB (you won't see this section in Windows). You add this up to get 232.89GB of usable space (a hard drive's size is based on a block measuring system that differs between operating systems).

2> Keep in mind that an image sensor's rated pixel count does not equate to the output file size. Also with jpeg images, there is a high level of compression. The dimension of the image should be 1280x960 pixels. So it is more like a 1.2Mp sensor (1228800 pixels). Actual image file size will vary with the image content. If you snap a photo of a black wall, there is very little real info for the sensor to capture, compared to a bed of flowers with lots of color and detail.

3> You must use the "Component Test" part first, then "undock" that window. To the far right of the menu bar you will see "Meter", click that to cycle you through the dock choices. When you get to where the meter window is smaller, and you can see the "Component Test" screen, then minimize the meter window and go back to the scanner menu in Atlas.

Hope this has helped.
        Thank you so much for your very informative responses to all questions.

Glad the HD is not defecient and is up to new specs.

Your comments about the camera make perfect sense. Too bad the camera isn't more like a 5Mp which is pretty common these days.

I did end up purchasing the Verus. After getting rid of the trial software and loading the latest software the component tester/ scanner combo worked just as you suggested.

I also loaded Mazda IDS with the GNA600 and tried to use it along with the scope. The Verus didn't like that. The IDS worked fine though by itself though

Thanks again
        Jim

Comment

• sandt38
          • May 2012

Jim,

If you don't get it figured (scope/PID) out just stop by the shop and I'll show you. It is a sweet feature. I am shocked you opted to buy an aftermarket tool, did the Modis finally kick the bed?

Seth

Comment

• jpgarrido
            • Dec 2006

That's right I forgot you had one, now I have an experienced expert!

No the Modis didn't die. As you know I am out in the sun most of the time and I just got tire of trying to see that Modis scope screen in sun light. The Verus is a whole lot brighter I also hadn't updated my Modis in about a year and a half. So rather than spend $1200.00 on an update I spent $4800.00 on a new unit.

As far as "OEM or aftermarket" I bought the Verus because the Verus is a full PC so the Verus is now both! I loaded Mazda IDS on it with the GNA600 interface. I used it Friday over at H1 to do an 07 CX-7. I plan on loading a Toyota Techstream, Tech2 emulator and GDS2 and use the Cardaq M as the interface.

The Verus is a great platform and I LOVE the scope set up screen. Real fast and easy. I think Snappy has a winning platform here. They ought to intentionally set up thier platform to run OEM stuff. Then make money off of the support and subscriptions.

See you around town Seth.
            Jim

Comment

• sandt38
              • May 2012

Originally posted by jpgarrido

The Verus is a great platform and I LOVE the scope set up screen. Real fast and easy. I think Snappy has a winning platform here. They ought to intentionally set up thier platform to run OEM stuff. Then make money off of the support and subscriptions.

See you around town Seth.
              Trey has been bugging me to show him scopes since I started over there. He wants to learn, so I am happy to oblige. He expressed his concern over setting up time and voltage scales, so I showed him the component test module. While he doesn't have the money for a Verus, he may be contemplating the Verdict.

Not sure if you have used component test much, but in many cases if I am pretty sure where I am going with my diag I will jump on the CT and follow it's pinouts and simple connector end wiring diagrams rather than wait for shopkey to load. I could care less about scaling, but the pinouts are a great feature.

Oh, by the way, the ABS module did fix that Infinity, and it was a plug and play module. I found it odd that I had TCM and ASCD U codes, but everything led me to the ABS module. While the communication noise on the CAN line when I plugged the ABS module back in should have been a dead giveaway, I found it strange that it was just noise and not a dead short or open. To me it seemed like a dirty ground, but I knew with voltage drops and cleanup this was not the case. First time I have seen that. Thanks for taking the time to alleviate my doubts. The last thing I wanted to do was make a $1600 mistake on week 2 at the new shop.

Comment

Working...