13.2 Thumbs down for 3 reasons.... to start with...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TurboJim
    • Jan 2007

13.2 Thumbs down for 3 reasons.... to start with...

First. I have complained since 12.4? About the scanner giving up looking for the S3 after approx 2hrs. ie: Boot up, use the scanner, put it back, do couple other things. Then need to scan. Go back, wont connect. S3 wont beep like its linked. Have to reboot the Verus to restore connectivity. Then its fine as long as it doesn't sit a couple hours. If you use it all day, it'll connect all day. I had hoped this would be fixed, but it hasn't been. I have tried modifying Windows BT settings to no avail.

Second: Dodge coverage is letting me down. Couple instances, most recently an 2011 Ram 3500, no DEF dosing test. Very important test. Nothing that I can see has been added to Dodge. Cmon guys! Youre asking for a lot of money! We need this stuff!

Third, and the most disturbing to me, as I work on a lot of em. Ford 6.0, 2003-2004 VGT learn data. You took everything OUT except RPM???? Are you guys mad? One of the most important data streams on a inferred EBP application and you removed all useful info???? I get it, people probably complained that if they were working on a late 04+ truck the scanner would lock trying to get the data, but jeez guys, Change your UI, remove it from 04+ selected vehicles, don't make the pidlist useless!

Can we patch this guys? I assume the Dodge stuff will take more effort, but PLEASE fix the Ford stuff, and make the BT work again!
    Jim Testa
    Senior Technician
    JD Automotive & Truck Inc
    Dover, NJ
  • diesel71
    • Feb 2008

Originally posted by TurboJim
    First. I have complained since 12.4? About the scanner giving up looking for the S3 after approx 2hrs. ie: Boot up, use the scanner, put it back, do couple other things. Then need to scan. Go back, wont connect. S3 wont beep like its linked. Have to reboot the Verus to restore connectivity. Then its fine as long as it doesn't sit a couple hours. If you use it all day, it'll connect all day. I had hoped this would be fixed, but it hasn't been. I have tried modifying Windows BT settings to no avail.

Second: Dodge coverage is letting me down. Couple instances, most recently an 2011 Ram 3500, no DEF dosing test. Very important test. Nothing that I can see has been added to Dodge. Cmon guys! Youre asking for a lot of money! We need this stuff!

Third, and the most disturbing to me, as I work on a lot of em. Ford 6.0, 2003-2004 VGT learn data. You took everything OUT except RPM???? Are you guys mad? One of the most important data streams on a inferred EBP application and you removed all useful info???? I get it, people probably complained that if they were working on a late 04+ truck the scanner would lock trying to get the data, but jeez guys, Change your UI, remove it from 04+ selected vehicles, don't make the pidlist useless!

Can we patch this guys? I assume the Dodge stuff will take more effort, but PLEASE fix the Ford stuff, and make the BT work again!
    jim, I also work on the 6.0 fords and know that the vgt learn data works. there are a few things that may help, first the data will only work if the 6.0 vehicle has been flashed to the o6e17 calibration. belive it or not there are still some out there that have not been updated to this. If the pcm calibration has not been updated the vgt learn data wont work. when you click on the data and only get the rpm reading ether the pcm has not been updated or the build month of the vehicle is later and dont use the inferred ebp. I belive it"s better to click on the vgt learn data and only get the rpm reading rather than having the scanner freeze-up like you said.

Comment

• TurboJim
      • Jan 2007

Thanks for the reply diesel71. The truck in question has the inferred ebp. its a late 03 and I flashed it myself in about Feb. Then in March, I hung a turbo for a tight unison ring. Hole was wallowed out. Anyway, had the 3 codes...006a,132b and 401?, ..... . Prob from me putting the ebp flash in it... Anyway, at the time I put the turbo on, the vgt learn status worked, and I used it. Went 6 learns, vgt went mature and KOER passed. Week or so ago, I put another turbo in it. Thrust bearing crapped out. Anyway, when I went to monitor VGT_LRN, all I had was RPM. I have 2 04's at the shop I will try, but I fear they are old cals. Local fleet who does nothing unless its broken. you know how that is. I will see if I have any screen captures.

I know you can listen for the learns, and that's what I did on this truck. But sitting in the truck for 1/2hr aint getting stuff done. You now how that is! I'll check the trucks at the shop, and check their software. Maybe I'll give them a free flash to test with. Just not sure of pro date. Think theyre later....5/04 or so. Otherwise I'll haveta wait for one for screenshots/further testing.
      Jim Testa
      Senior Technician
      Dover, NJ

Comment

• diesel71
        • Feb 2008

jim, thanks for posting back, I will check the next one i see to help confirm this is working. i know a week or so back i used the vgt-learn data after installing a new maf sensor on a 6.0 and it worked fine. a few things to keep in mind, aftermarket ficm"s that have been woked to jump-up the voltage seem to cause issues with data readings and gohst codes. a few of the aftermarket chips/tuners can cause this not to work too. some of the programs in the chips will not use all the engine tables to run. so even if it has the inffered flash, it might be running off a table that does not use the inffered table to work.

Comment

• TurboJim
          • Jan 2007

Thanks for the info. The truck in question was not chipped, and had a normal 48v dc board. I did the ficm in it awhile back LOL. Its a landscapers truck who came to me about a year ago with a cold running issue. 26v will do that huh? I also told him at the time that replacing the ficm and updating the software in the truck would likely fix a lot of his woes. Which it did, and I got the whole fleet because of that. I wound up flashing about 10 of his 6.0 trucks, and now he thinks I am a 6.0 and 7.3 god. LOL Anyway, I will keep your info in mind when I see weird info, and will keep an eye out for a late 03/early 04 to check VGT data. The main fleet I work on are 2008+ E350/450's and the early ones are few and far between these days.

Wonder why SO never put cooling fan % as a functional test? Oh and maybe we can get them to put sliders in for ipr/egr/vgt% instead of tapping up and down buttons which is a pain when youre not looking at the button!!
          Jim Testa
          Senior Technician
          Dover, NJ

Comment

• TurboJim
            • Jan 2007

Ok, had a 04/03 sikko, which VGT data worked. So the question begs, did SO goof on 04 (9/03 would come up as an 04, but would have inferred) and not even look at the data stream to see if that data was available? I know the truck that it DIDNT work with had the inferred because *I* flashed it, and it worked a couple months ago, and I used VGT data to confirm the learn process.

There still is the BT connection issue though.....

Also noticed last couple times I tried, 06 Sprinter 3500 2.7, for some reason BT wont connect at all. I have to use the USB cable....weird. Wonder if a module is giving off RF and wigging out the S3 or scanner.... I have a cust with an 07 3.0 that I haven't seen in awhile which always worked fine.... maybe he'll show up soon so I can try on his truck.
            Jim Testa
            Senior Technician
            Dover, NJ

Comment

• sandt38
              • May 2012

Jim, sorry this is late, but have you tried updating the scan module? Mine will randomly quit working, but when I run the SS Update with it plugged in I get an update.

It would be nice if we got some kind of update message, but I have yet to see one.

Comment

Working...