Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Modis500
    • Sep 2012

Using "Injector Disable" to locate misfires

So I found a neat trick the other day while working on an '05 Nissan Murano. Came in with P0305 and a clear misfire condition. I did the swap to another cylinder, however my Solus Pro 11.4 does not give me any misfire data anywhere under Nissan data. So I got to thinking, why not shut off the injector of the affected cylinder and watch RPM drop. I know this is probably a common test amongst the seasoned pros we have on here, but I thought I would share with the newer techs that go looking for misfire counters on their tool, and can't find it. So here's another way to find it if you have the functional test to shut off the injector on the car in your bay.
    I swapped the suspect coil to #2 and went into the injector test and as soon as it would start to miss, I would cut the injector off and watch RPM drop. If there was no drop, then we have found our suspect coil. Just for grins I did it on the other 5 cylinders and noticed a 400-500 RPM drop while doing a 2000 RPM loaded test on the cylinders that were running ok.
    Hope this test helps someone find that misfire before it takes a full drive cycle to throw a code as it was doing on this Murano.
    "If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time!"
    Zig Ziglar
  • diesel71
    • Feb 2008

thanks for the tip, I use to do the same thing on diesel's before we got the cylinder contribution test's. on a diesel you can use this test to find a week injector/cylinder when there are no misfire's or codes. a week injector/cylinder wont drop the rpm a much.

Comment

• KIRA1010
      • Nov 2014

Thanks for the tip, will try.

Comment

Working...