What if Scanners are incorporated into the vehicles?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

What if Scanners are incorporated into the vehicles?

What if Everything diagnostic after 2021 is built into the vehicles themselves with AI making us jump through the diagnostic hoops like we're some B@tch Robots working for Cortana?
    The Scanner companies hemorrhaging cash all merge together to create The Strap On Autel Launch, a personal transportation Drone where the pilot flies seated in a harbor freight lawnchair in middle of an oversized plastic Autel drone on steroids
  • Jay G.
    Administrator
    • Dec 2006

Wit,
    I will say you do have a creative imagination

Comment

• Glide
      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Witsend
      What if Everything diagnostic after 2021 is built into the vehicles themselves with AI making us jump through the diagnostic hoops like we're some B@tch Robots working for Cortana?
      The Scanner companies hemorrhaging cash all merge together to create The Strap On Autel Launch, a personal transportation Drone where the pilot flies seated in a harbor freight lawnchair in middle of an oversized plastic Autel drone on steroids
      Cadillac did have built in diagnostics with some bi-directional controls in the 80's and early 90's.They worked much better than any scanner until the Tech 2 came out. It was accessed through the heater control.

Comment

• greasybob
        • May 2008

On board diagnostics ? It's just a few more lines of code away. Doesn't Tesla and maybe GM (on star) monitor it's entire fleet of vehicles already. Or atleast could if they wanted to.

Comment

• Crusty
          • Dec 2007

Technically on-board diagnostics has been there ever since the first capability to "set a code".
          It's just a matter of scale.
          In order to be accurate though, a great many more wires would be needed to identify the exact location of any physical failure such as bad ground or corroded connector.
          A great many things can be discerned by self testing systems by subtle nuances in voltages and amperages. A simple example of this is the coil oscillations after the firing event on an old point distributor system.
          Todays systems are extremely capable but dependant upon the quality level of the software written into increasingly capable integrated circuits.
          The "old school" fundamentals are still there though. It goes all the way back to the "Commodore 64" and fax machines. 8-bits to a byte, 8 bytes to a baud.
          The vehicle manufacturers are more interested in putting more glitter and bling into a personal transportation device than actually producing a dependable and reliable piece of kit.
          Same thing with tools & equipment. More "bling" catches more eyes. Just like a flashy glitter spinner on the end of a fishing line. It's called "marketing, advertising and sales".
          Things have improved over the years but "engineers" are reticent to reveal ALL the information they have to have gathered in order to actually produce a device.
          Think back to the end of assembly line test connector under the hood of a 1970's GM vehicle. Engineers said techs wouldn't be able to use the information available at the connector.
          Techs in the field proved that incorrect.

Comment

• greasybob
            • May 2008

Agreed, A.I. at end of the day just seems to be very sophisticated and filtered statistical data.

Comment

• Witsend
              Banned
              • Nov 2012

Other than generic OBD 2, I forsee the customer's prepaying for our 48 hours of On Star Access to the new Sh@t Boxes ,that will provide service information, do diagnostics, key programming, or reflashes, after authorization off an app on owner's smart phones.
              Possibly won't be any more need for Mitchell, Scantool, updates or J2534 for 2021 and up models .Pop a couple bluetooth dongles in the vehicle USB, attach a battery maintainer and have a blue tooth mouse, mirror the In Star Scanner to your $99.95 Android Tablet on bench.
              Last edited by Witsend; 06-07-2019, 01:10 PM.

Comment

• GypsyR
                • Jul 2017

Seems like this came up before, maybe it was another forum I remember though.

Essentially it's already there. The ECM's can feed us the codes through whatever. Most vehicles have touchscreens of some kind. So most of what a scanner does is already built into the car, no one's bothered to to connect the dots with some software, that's all. Cars have wifi, OnStar, Bluetooth, etc, they could just update themselves or notify the owner to do so.

I can see scanners becoming being left behind overnight if OEM's took a mind to implement more onboard diagnostics. We'd still need scopes and things to help figure out communication problems but not code readers.

One odd thing is as Glide has noted. GM already had this way back when but somehow decided not to pursue it. Yet. Tesla is running with it, I'd be surprised if other manufacturers didn't too.

Comment

• Witsend
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2012

Seems like this came up before, maybe it was another forum I remember though.

Essentially it's already there. The ECM's can feed us the codes through whatever. Most vehicles have touchscreens of some kind. So most of what a scanner does is already built into the car, no one's bothered to to connect the dots with some software, that's all. Cars have wifi, OnStar, Bluetooth, etc, they could just update themselves or notify the owner to do so.

I can see scanners becoming being left behind overnight if OEM's took a mind to implement more onboard diagnostics. We'd still need scopes and things to help figure out communication problems but not code readers.

One odd thing is as Glide has noted. GM already had this way back when but somehow decided not to pursue it. Yet. Tesla is running with it, I'd be surprised if other manufacturers didn't too.
                  I think the first thing to go will be the need for a J box for ECU updates. Car will determine if battery maintainer is connected and whether the WIFI connection is good enough. scan the Credit card and everything will update.

Comment

Working...