Early Chrysler

Comment

• SnapOnKid
      • Jan 2011

It's a Polyspherical head engine

Comment

• greasybob
        • May 2008

Close enough, it's a 1959 Dodge pickup. The owner tells me it's a 318 Poly but I couldn't find a picture to verify this. With the coolant cross over in front of the heads and the open valley between I thought a 315 Poly maybe. I don't know enough to tell the difference. Canted valves but not a hemi.

Comment

• greasybob
          • May 2008

The things you find. And it wasn't even a Ford. 06 Suzuki XL 7 2.7, only wrecked a couple of threads. Cleaned the threads and the new plug tightened up, checked the rest, all loose.
          Attached Files

Comment

• greasybob
            • May 2008

The Story of PIP and SPOUT

If your a mechanic of the 80's and 90's you probably know all about TFI modules in Fords, either on the side of the distributor or in a heat sink on the fender.
            Had a 92 E150 with 5.0 a while ago. Crank/no start. I first checked for spark. Nope, no signal at the coil either. So probably a bad ignition module but I better check for a crank signal first (PIP). I back probed the TFI for PIP and SPOUT (Spout is the signal from the ECM to the ignition module to advance the timing). I thought I had good signals on both accounts. A new module and still no coil signal. A little more research and I learned that the Spout signal should be at 12 volts to 0 volts, I had 3 volts to 0 volts. So I replaced the ECM. Now were in business, it's up and running, the Spout signal is at 12 volts. So to make sense of this. The engine will run without a spout signal to the ignition module, it has to, this is how you set base timing, with the Spout connector removed. But with Spout signal that has low voltage the Ignition module will not fire the coil. Hmmmm ?
            Another thing that I noticed is that the Spout signal tells the ignition module when to fire the coil which would seem normal but what tells the ignition module when to close the coil circuit (dwell) ?
            In the first screen shot below the top signal is labeled PIP, it should be marked as SPOUT My bad
            Attached Files

Comment

• Tech_A
              • Jul 2014

Originally posted by greasybob
              If your a mechanic of the 80's and 90's you probably know all about TFI modules in Fords, either on the side of the distributor or in a heat sink on the fender.
              Had a 92 E150 with 5.0 a while ago. Crank/no start. I first checked for spark. Nope, no signal at the coil either. So probably a bad ignition module but I better check for a crank signal first (PIP). I back probed the TFI for PIP and SPOUT (Spout is the signal from the ECM to the ignition module to advance the timing). I thought I had good signals on both accounts. A new module and still no coil signal. A little more research and I learned that the Spout signal should be at 12 volts to 0 volts, I had 3 volts to 0 volts. So I replaced the ECM. Now were in business, it's up and running, the Spout signal is at 12 volts. So to make sense of this. The engine will run without a spout signal to the ignition module, it has to, this is how you set base timing, with the Spout connector removed. But with Spout signal that has low voltage the Ignition module will not fire the coil. Hmmmm ?
              Another thing that I noticed is that the Spout signal tells the ignition module when to fire the coil which would seem normal but what tells the ignition module when to close the coil circuit (dwell) ?
              In the first screen shot below the top signal is labeled PIP, it should be marked as SPOUT My bad
              Phenomenal , when is the lecture on EST ? Followed by IGT and IGF ?

Comment

• Witsend
                Banned
                • Nov 2012

So when a Ford distributor shaft or Synchronizer starts to take a Sh@t and starts making a Chirping noise, I believe it's known as A PIP Squeak

Comment

• Crusty
                  • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Witsend
                  So when a Ford distributor shaft or Synchronizer starts to take a Sh@t and starts making a Chirping noise, I believe it's known as A PIP Squeak
                  Bad dog....no biscuit.... LMAO

Comment

• diesel71
                    • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Crusty
                    Bad dog....no biscuit.... LMAO
                    lmao

Comment

• Tech_A
                      • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Witsend
                      HAhaha good one.

I wish i still had pictures of the mutilated synchro's I replaced. I don't know how people drove with that squeak, you can only turn up the radio so loud.

Comment

• greasybob
                        • May 2008

I has a question about Duramax SCR systems, Mr. Rappa, Diesel 71 or anyone else. Why is the DEF injector located behind the catalyst and not in front ? I thought the idea was to get the DEF to react with the N0x in the catalyst to form nitrogen ? Is the front part of the particulate filter also a catalyst ?

Comment

• greasybob
                          • May 2008

I guess it is, the front half of the DPF is another catalyst for the N0x. this info is better than the GM bulletins as far labeling things.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Witsend
                            Banned
                            • Nov 2012

I think it still reduces NOX emissions fine but think it works more effectively downstream as a sort of rinse aid or non stick spray for the inside of particulate filter, so the ammonia steam cleaning process , sh@t doesn't accumulate it's more likely to come off and mixes with exhaust condensate and drips out the tailpipe and just poisons the water instead of both the air we breath and water we drink, so people don't see and breath diesel particulate, but sure drinking the ammonium soot juice from the tailpipe be pretty toxic.

Comment

• greasybob
                              • May 2008

I'm not concerned about the politics of it, I want to know how it works so I can fix it. It's all about the PPM and %.
                              Last edited by greasybob; 11-01-2017, 05:09 PM.

Comment

• greasybob
                                • May 2008

I have 12 LML here that has a low quality DEF message in the cluster and it failed the DEF quality test run with the Verus. It passed the DEF quantity test and I drained and put fresh fluid in it. So it kind of comes down to being a CAT efficiency code. I can post the test data later. A good system should have the down stream N0x sensor showing about 30% of the upstream. This truck seems to run about 50%. A 13 model has a much improved data list than a 12.

Comment

Working...