X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ralleman
    • Sep 2016

New to me Modis

Hey Guys
    My friend in Phoenix just received my new to me Modis and it powers up , no error messages so I am pleased
    Got a few questions :

- Charger , can I use a aftermarket battery charger if yes does anybody know specs so I can buy one overhere with a european plug

- CF card for data storage. Can I use any or does it have to be Snap On ? What is the max capacity I can use ? I see them as big as 8Gb but stock was 512 I think.
    Anybody knows the limit sizewise ?

- What would you guys recommend for scope leads , they are in poor condition.
    These seem nice , anybody using them ?
    Modis test drive leads by AES Wave

Thanks Rik
  • Steve6911
    • Feb 2007

Rik

I have these leads, and they are GREAT, but...... as their name says they are road test leads. If you are working up by the engine and that is where the tool is they are WAY to long! They get in the way even if you coil them up. I recommend getting a regular lead set first, then these as an add on.

Steve

Comment

• ralleman
      • Sep 2016

Thanks Steve,
      I didn't think about that. This is my first scope so I will probably spend most of my time under the hood anyway.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
        Snap-on DSD
        • Aug 2007

It doesn't have to be a Snap-on card. Just get a small CF card for it. The Modis is limited by the number of files it can store, and not by the size of the files. You won't fill a card, so don't bother to get a big one.
        Also, larger cards will take longer to become accessible by the unit.
        Joe
        "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
        Henry Ford

Comment

• Crusty
          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Joe Rappa
          It doesn't have to be a Snap-on card. Just get a small CF card for it. The Modis is limited by the number of files it can store, and not by the size of the files. You won't fill a card, so don't bother to get a big one.
          Also, larger cards will take longer to become accessible by the unit.
          Joe
          You're right about a larger card taking longer to be recognized by the machine. A 512, 1-GB, or 2-GB would probably be OK. Most locations that have any CF cards on the shelf seem to have bigger ones and the smaller ones are harder to find but they're out there. I use USB flash drives for my CE operating system equipment. They stick out an inch but they're easier to grab and copy the files to a PC or laptop for reviewing with SSC.

As for the number of files saved, I'm pretty sure that is a limitation of MS-Windows CE operating system limiting the number of files in a folder to be limited to 500. That is a "Windows" limitation rather than the machine itself.

The original "user" folder can be renamed and then a new "user" folder can be created so the files can still be saved and transferred to a PC or laptop. Some of my USB flash drives have three or four folders (renamed to "_USER-month-day-year") so I can easily copy the files to a computer at the shop or one of several at home. The CE machines don't see the renamed folders but they're still there. HTH

Comment

• ralleman
            • Sep 2016

Ok , do I get better performance with a 512MB or can I just get a 2GB ?
            I want to make it run as smooth/quickly as I can.
            Thinking about upgrading memory too.

Is the CF card with the 16.2 prone to troubles ? Can i make a backup without getting authorisation error messages ?

Does anybody know the specs for the charger ? 12V ? Is plus on the outside or center pin of the circular connector

Lots of questions but when my Modis finaly gets here i want to be ready !!

Comment

• Witsend
              Banned
              • Nov 2012

If it were me I would purchase 16.2 or 16.4 update on a card for region in your language that would best cover the USA brand models seen in your country.( Unlike Autel that seems to multi regions of the globe with models I don't see covered on the single card. ). I was able to make backup software for my DS 708 where I was unable to do with my Solus. Something in WinBlos would not allow transfer of some needed file of the copied software that the backup software card needs to work. Before I would even put the new Snap On update card in the Modis , I would try a cloning program like Acronis True image (that others have used successfully to clone a drive of a Verus when upgrading to SSD) to clone the new update CF card . With any platform no longer supported , working back up software is imperative to make while you can, cuz unlike a MT2500 , you can't use the software cartridge from another tool

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                Snap-on DSD
                • Aug 2007

16.2 was the last update available for a Modis. If your Franchisee hasn't started selling 16.4, then you still have a change to update your Modis. If he is selling the new software, you're out of luck. It's over.
                Joe
                "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
                Henry Ford

Comment

• scottmechanics
                  • Jun 2013

Usb

Hello
                  I would recommend getting a USB mouse and keyboard

Comment

• Trindaddy
                    • Jan 2010

The Seiko thermoprinter was a wonderful add-on to the old and great Modis. I still have a PC Link card if anyone wants to screw around with it.
                    And by the way, stay away from Snap-on (blue and red) multimeter leads, revision F! See my other post
                    Last edited by Trindaddy; 01-22-2017, 06:08 PM. Reason: Add "by the way"

Comment

• Trindaddy
                      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by scottmechanics
                      Hello
                      I would recommend getting a USB mouse and keyboard
                      I don't recall a USB 2.0 or 3.0 on the old Modis. We are talking about the original Modis aren't we?

Comment

• Trindaddy
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by ralleman

Is the CF card with the 16.2 prone to troubles ? Can i make a backup without getting authorisation error messages ?

Does anybody know the specs for the charger ? 12V ? Is plus on the outside or center pin of the circular connector

I will check on the charger 4 u tomorrow.

Comment

• Trindaddy
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by ralleman

Charger OUTPUT is :12-17v, 3a max. Check + or - with your meter.

Comment

• scottmechanics
                            • Jun 2013

Mouse & keyboard

Hello
                            The old modis has a USB not sure if its USB 1 ,2,3 on windows ce but it works
                            The good bit about using the mouse is you can run scan tool and scope at the same time or scan tool and saved data ( not on one screen) switch between the 2 like on the verus
                            (Put a vid on YouTube a while back about this )
                            Thanks

Comment

Working...