X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Ah ca ca!

Took off the AC accumulator, disconnected one of the heater hose with tube, jacked up the back of trans as far as possible and smacked the trans dipstick tube real good with a 2x4 and was able to pop the tube between the back of the head and firewall. Sucky set up indeed
    Attached Files

Comment

• Witsend
      Banned
      • Nov 2012

Damn thing drove fine the other day, started ticking like a bomb today and missing on a cylinder 5 (non AFM cylinder)Gonna have to fire my @ss for being a F@ckup and not torquing down one of the rockers.Lucky for me it hadn't left the shop yet or was something more than it turned out to be
      Last edited by Witsend; 05-03-2017, 02:23 PM.

Comment

• SnapOnKid
        • Jan 2011

We always delete the AFM and DOD junk.

A proper tune goes a long way too.

Comment

• Witsend
          Banned
          • Nov 2012

I put a brand new Dorman AFM solonoid assembly on this ,and kind of glad I went to the extra trouble of pulling the short block out, Peace of mind pulling the pan off (while still)right side up and thoroughly getting that quarter inch of nasty scummy settled nasty oil that never drains out, installed new pickup tube o-ring ,( I heard the oil pick up tube o-rings also degrade and fail),new rear main seal, resealed all the main cap side bolts with Permatex pipe sealant (side bolts do appear to weep some oil just above the pan). Just hard to believe that something so dependent on fresh clean filtered oil with a just a tiny catch screen and uses such a small shallow engine oil filter. Should be using something the size of a Ford FL1-A
          The inoperative #1 cylinder AFM lifter on #1 didn't appear physically collapsed and shorter, but when pulled from the lifter guide, it came out in 2 pieces, where the others were still all together.
          Told the guy to stick to full synthetic oil and consider a Range AFM Disabler to reduce alleged oil consumption and lessen risk of a future AFM lifter failure. Got to Wonder in disabled mode if the roller cam lobes of the AFM lifters are even seeing any oil?

Comment

• SnapOnKid
            • Jan 2011

The issue with these, is the oil change intervals combined with today's additive packages. You really should do every 3000 with conventional and not push it past 5000 on synthetic. The oil can go further but the trash doesn't get filtered well at that point. That's what builds up and deystroy those components.

Your can actually get better milage deleting that junk and tuning the engine calibration.

Comment

• Glide
              • Jan 2015

[QUOTE=SnapOnKid;56690]The issue with these, is the oil change intervals combined with today's additive packages. You really should do every 3000 with conventional and not push it past 5000 on synthetic. The oil can go further but the trash doesn't get filtered well at that point. That's what builds up and deystroy those components.
              QUOTE]

Yup.Synthetic oils and oil life monitors are the problem.A good quality mineral based oil and 3000 mile/5000km oil changes are the answer.

Comment

• Crusty
                • Dec 2007

[QUOTE=Glide;56700]
                Originally posted by SnapOnKid
                The issue with these, is the oil change intervals combined with today's additive packages. You really should do every 3000 with conventional and not push it past 5000 on synthetic. The oil can go further but the trash doesn't get filtered well at that point. That's what builds up and deystroy those components.
                QUOTE]

Yup.Synthetic oils and oil life monitors are the problem.A good quality mineral based oil and 3000 mile/5000km oil changes are the answer.
                Gotta laugh. I agree with you.....I've been saying the hype on synthetic has been B/S since 1973, and that the extended intervals is smoke & mirrors designed by the manufacturers to sell another vehicle.....LOL
                Appears that makes two things we agree on...

Comment

• Glide
                  • Jan 2015

Oil life monitors were developed to appease the tree huggers and to give the auto manufacturers tax credits for doing so.Same as the recycled plastic intakes used on 3.8 buicks for a few years.Funny thing is,the GM replacement intakes weren't made from recycled material...
                  Does anyone in the class know how oil life monitors work?

p.s. to Crusty: It's not that I don't agree with you as much as the tone of your posts irks me,just sayin'

Comment

• BMW JEDI
                    • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Glide
                    Oil life monitors were developed to appease the tree huggers and to give the auto manufacturers tax credits for doing so.
                    Yup. Lifetime fluids = Tax $$$$

Comment

• Witsend
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2012

Every 6 months or 6K for a newer engine with full synthetic if it doesn't look real dark before hand. If it does, just change the diminutive oil filters at 3k and and add a quart. Full Synthetic oils have been proven to go twice as as long. Oil filters really need to be twice the capacity to go twice as long , but instead they halved the size that they were 25 years ago. Seemed to me Amsoil had a Toilet paper filtration systems you slammed 6 rolls of Charmin in it and you were Golden for another 20K

Comment

• Crusty
                        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Glide
                        Oil life monitors were developed to appease the tree huggers and to give the auto manufacturers tax credits for doing so.Same as the recycled plastic intakes used on 3.8 buicks for a few years.Funny thing is,the GM replacement intakes weren't made from recycled material...
                        Does anyone in the class know how oil life monitors work?

p.s. to Crusty: It's not that I don't agree with you as much as the tone of your posts irks me,just sayin'
                        There is a "tone" in a typed forum-??
                        I need to turn the speakers up....

Comment

• Glide
                          • Jan 2015

LOL,yeah,it's kind of like a dog whistle.Peeps from ON can't hear it.

Comment

• Dr Dave
                            • Nov 2010

valves acceptable and not?

unless you know which valves are acceptable or not ..use factory? and who likes just acceptable /

Comment

Working...