Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crackerclicker
    • May 2008

Originally posted by sbebenelli
    If I purchase the EAK0347L01A will that only activate the software in my current VERUS Edge and then I'd have to buy it again if I ever go to another Snap On scan tool?

That right there is the main reason I'd choose a different option if I really needed Harley coverage. You can purchase a stand alone option for around $1400 that would likely work just as well, if not better, and wouldn't be tied to one machine.

Comment

• Steve6911
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Witsend
      Ok , Seriously now, so Basically that ridiculous $695 price of this cable kit to connect Harley Davidson Motor cycles must also contain some security key to unlock the included but Not Free to use Harley Davidson Software? You buy the $695 cable kit that comes with the necessary code to be able to unlock your scanner's Harley Davidson Software like Unlocking Euro? You just can't borrow another tech's Harley cables and expect the so called included Harley Software to work without paying to unlock the software first? Does it at least give you a 30 day trial period to try it before you buy it like Microsoft Word? If I could use trial software and put in Limbo and use 30 different days it last me 5 or 10 years LMAO
      Guys, its very simple. Unlike the Euro software the HD software is unlocked, notice it is not grayed out like the Euro would be if you did not purchase the Euro package. So, you spend the money for the connector package and now you have HD software, and the software is excellent too. Tech support will confirm this and can answer any other questions. I called as just to see and the call was answered right away ( no hold time ) and all questioned answered. The guys on tech support are GREAT and know what they are talking about. Posting here is fine but sometime it takes a while to get the answer, other times 5 guys chime it with 7 different answers. So again Tech support is the away to go!

Comment

• Witsend
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

Guys, its very simple. Unlike the Euro software the HD software is unlocked, notice it is not grayed out like the Euro would be if you did not purchase the Euro package. So, you spend the money for the connector package and now you have HD software, and the software is excellent too. Tech support will confirm this and can answer any other questions. I called as just to see and the call was answered right away ( no hold time ) and all questioned answered. The guys on tech support are GREAT and know what they are talking about. Posting here is fine but sometime it takes a while to get the answer, other times 5 guys chime it with 7 different answers. So again Tech support is the away to go!
        Thanks for clarifying that Harley Davidson software does not require unlocking like Euro Software has to to work. It's just that the high cost for the connector kit required to hook up to the bikes reflects what you would expect to pay to Unlock the software besides just the 2 cables and hook in the kit you get.
        I bet the tool truck drivers could make more money on "Ask Me to Rent" cable kits for like $40- $50 a week once or twice a year to the regular "Car" mechanics that have their own Harley or work on a friend's Harley on occasion. Weekend Warriors dedicated to buying and repairing Harleys on the side would definitely want to buy their own, and maybe could motivate the tool guy to sell his used rental EAK0347L01A cable kit in the winter , Earl Chive special priced at $99.95.

Originally Posted by sbebenelli View Post
        If I purchase the EAK0347L01A will that only activate the software in my current VERUS Edge and then I'd have to buy it again if I ever go to another Snap On scan tool?
        Looks like the software should work out of the box without a need to unlock , so one EAK0347L01A should work on your other Snap On Scanners with the Harley Software and hopefully the cables won't be married to just one serial number for it to work.
        EhwhatzamattaU? What's a nice Italian young man with his name after a Legendary Italian Motorcycle Marque of Benelli doing messing wit H@rley Davidson, Dey coulda been great if they stucka wit Aremachi Motorciclliste Foundation and boughta Laverda.
        Last edited by Witsend; 03-16-2018, 10:28 AM.

Comment

• SnapOnKid
          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Steve6911
          Couldn't tell you but.... Their cars are bad enough, why would you want to work on their bikes too?????
          Frankley I have no desire to work on newer motorcycles at all. Nor does the software offer any benefit to myself or any of the car mechanics that I do know with snap on diagnostic Equipment. The people that I do know with Harleys would not spend the Snap on kind of money for a scanner. They would all just go back to the dealer.

But I do know people that have BMW's and figured If they were going after the motorcycle market, the BMW was a fairly large market and following too. A lot of BMW guys like to tinker with there own bikes.

I have enough issues with the wrong or missing info that's already in the scanner. (Where is Crusty when you need him ) Since 18.2 will be dropping soon, I will wait to report the latest bug I found this week...

Comment

• Crusty
            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by SnapOnKid
            Frankley I have no desire to work on newer motorcycles at all. Nor does the software offer any benefit to myself or any of the car mechanics that I do know with snap on diagnostic Equipment. The people that I do know with Harleys would not spend the Snap on kind of money for a scanner. They would all just go back to the dealer.

But I do know people that have BMW's and figured If they were going after the motorcycle market, the BMW was a fairly large market and following too. A lot of BMW guys like to tinker with there own bikes.

I have enough issues with the wrong or missing info that's already in the scanner. (Where is Crusty when you need him ) Since 18.2 will be dropping soon, I will wait to report the latest bug I found this week...
            LMAO-!!!
            Always lurking.
            Sometimes I see the need for reminders of things such as Voltaire's ""I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.""

Steve alluded to several people coming up with some kind of answer, but the tech support line actually having the answer.
            All well and good but after numerous calls regarding incomplete, or inaccurate values, to the tech line....AND things "reported" yet NOTHING DONE ABOUT IT....
            One gets very tired of the SAME errors and omissions after every release.

Since not everyone has every version of the scan tool offerings, many wouldn't even SEE that the Harley stuff isn't "greyed out".
            I'm glad the Harley stuff IS available, (thanks for clarifying that Steve) but it would be S.O.P for the need to purchase not only the cable but the access to the software too.
            I have a few customers that have the hogs, usually can get things resolved by using a scope and fundamentals.
            The cable "might" be something for me to grab sometime but the price point for Chinese manufactured plastic ends and some wire may not be a sensible R.O.I.

Comment

• SnapOnKid
              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Crusty
              LMAO-!!!
              Always lurking.
              Sometimes I see the need for reminders of things such as Voltaire's ""I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.""

Steve alluded to several people coming up with some kind of answer, but the tech support line actually having the answer.
              All well and good but after numerous calls regarding incomplete, or inaccurate values, to the tech line....AND things "reported" yet NOTHING DONE ABOUT IT....

Since not everyone has every version of the scan tool offerings, many wouldn't even SEE that the Harley stuff isn't "greyed out".
              I'm glad the Harley stuff IS available, (thanks for clarifying that Steve) but it would be S.O.P for the need to purchase not only the cable but the access to the software too.
              I have a few customers that have the hogs, usually can get things resolved by using a scope and fundamentals.
              The cable "might" be something for me to grab sometime but the price point for Chinese manufactured plastic ends and some wire may not be a sensible R.O.I.
              Glad your still around!!!

You will be happy to know an overpriced test light, some walmart jumper cables, and a meter defeated my Brand new from Snap On and already discontinued 10K scanner with missing or incomplete info once again this week...

There first thing I thought was where in the world is crusty when you need him...

Comment

• crackerclicker
                • May 2008

Originally posted by Steve6911
                Guys, its very simple. Unlike the Euro software the HD software is unlocked, notice it is not grayed out like the Euro would be if you did not purchase the Euro package.
                Ok, that's fine, but Snappy is still charging you $695 for a cable and power cord. I don't begrudge them a profit, but good grief. I'll count my blessings I don't need Harley coverage, lol.

Comment

• Witsend
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2012

Ok, that's fine, but Snappy is still charging you $695 for a cable and power cord. I don't begrudge them a profit, but good grief. I'll count my blessings I don't need Harley coverage, lol.
                  Maybe it's just a Typo and it's $69.50

Comment

• Crusty
                    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by SnapOnKid
                    Glad your still around!!!

You will be happy to know an overpriced test light, some walmart jumper cables, and a meter defeated my Brand new from Snap On and already discontinued 10K scanner with missing or incomplete info once again this week...

There first thing I thought was where in the world is crusty when you need him...
                    LOL.
                    Well, I'm not necessarily "glad" the ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE built into the 10K man-made electronic device didn't lead one to the correct solution.

What I AM GLAD to hear is that you used your brain, used the FUNDAMENTALS, and figured things out. No matter how much the engineers protest, V=IR.
                    Electronic devices are as smart as a bag of hammers. ALL they know is zeros and ones.

While "profit" isn't a dirty word, the 10K for a scanner, or 700 beans for a cable, seems a bit over the top.
                    Cataloging, warehousing, and distribution, all add to the price of what would seem to be an inexpensive part.
                    We go thru a LOT of that black stuff that isn't petroleum, and the switch gets turned on and off quite often.
                    Researching the availability reveals that made in china switches that look identical, including the lock tabs & terminals and voltage & current specs, are about $0.01 to $0.03 apiece.
                    Some that also are the same visually and electrically are available here in N.A. for $0.48 apiece if you buy 1000 of them.....
                    Havn't found anyone who carries them in this area though.
                    The companies that made the coffee machines REFUSE to sell me a switch, at ANY price.....
                    The choice they leave me with is, stuff it or buy a whole new machine for a thousand percent margin of the cost of the switch.
                    Nice choice.
                    Another coffee machine into the garbage. Just great for the greenie wienies save the planet concept. (LMFAO-!!)
                    I'll look elsewhere for my next coffee machine....

Same thing happens when customers find that their import vehicle costs much more to keep running, regardless if an indy repairs it or the dealer repairs it.

Same thing happens when the battery operated hand drill or driver, costs more to buy a replacement battery than it costs to buy a whole new drill/driver in a case complete with a new battery.
                    People will look elsewhere.

Comment

• Steve6911
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by crackerclicker
                      You are looking at it the wrong way, it is not just for the cable, but for the use of the software too. So $695 is not a lot of money for this level of scanner. They just omitted the unlocking part, one less step. You can’t use the software without the cables. Here is an example of another HD scanner, after checking it out I think you will see $695 is a great deal !!!

Comment

• greasybob
                        • May 2008

Make sure you read the book first though. No, really it's a good book !!!
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Witsend
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2012

You are looking at it the wrong way, it is not just for the cable, but for the use of the software too. So $695 is not a lot of money for this level of scanner. They just omitted the unlocking part, one less step. You can’t use the software without the cables. Here is an example of another HD scanner, after checking it out I think you will see $695 is a great deal !!!
                          I figure a paper clip , a can of Hog Wash , Timing light , Tecumseh Reed tachometer , and some medium strength thread locker be as technical as you would need to get.

Comment

• Steve6911
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Crusty
                            LMAO-!!!

Jay

I did not "alluded" to anything, I said it straight out. It is fact, look back on many posts on these forums. Techs stating that their tools do not boot up or not working correctly or they do not know something about them. Members respond trying to help and they may actually give good accurate info, maybe not. But how long did it take to write the post and wait for replies. What if there are multiple steps in the fix and now it takes days for responses to go back and forth. What if a tech does not see a bidirectional test he needs on a newer Me/Be and another tech tells him to ID the vehicle as a different year, you take the chance on crashing the entire vehicle, I have seen posts like these. The tech support guys may have been able to solve the problem with 1 10 minute call and you are on your way. Look at this post, James thought that the cable was $695 and then you may have had to purchase the software on top of this. In the time it took him to write that post he could have had the correct answer with a call to tech support.

As far as calling Tech support for bug fixes ( missing data, broken tests, incomplete module scan ETC ) the guys at Tech support do their job.
                            YOU KNOW the process as well as I do. It is not up to them to fix the software, they report it to the powers that be and it goes off to the developers from there. If there is a known work around they will give it to you and try and help any way they can.

As far as people not having current software so they wouldn't see it was greyed out. I apologize for that, however if you went to purchase the HD software the Snap-on dealer would have told you what you needed to do to get it. However this just proves my point that if you need technical info you should call tech support because posts here maybe inaccurate or incomplete.
                            Last edited by Steve6911; 03-18-2018, 12:15 PM.

Comment

• Witsend
                              Banned
                              • Nov 2012

As far as people not having current software so they wouldn't see it was greyed out. I apologize for that, however if you went to purchase the HD software the Snap-on dealer would have told you what you needed to do to get it. However this just proves my point that if you need technical info you should call tech support because posts here maybe inaccurate or incomplete.
                              For someone that has a newer Snap On update with Harley coverage and wants to check their own or a friends Harley and not be using the Harley Software at a regular shop to make a living fixing bikes, is this Harley adapter cable set something that could work just fine if swapped, shared , borrowed or rented to techs with a SnapOn platform with the SnapOn software, or did they actually figure out how to Marry a Cable adapter thingy to only one single scantool?

Comment

• Steve6911
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Witsend
                                For someone that has a newer Snap On update with Harley coverage and wants to check their own or a friends Harley and not be using the Harley Software at a regular shop to make a living fixing bikes, is this Harley adapter cable set something that could work just fine if swapped, shared , borrowed or rented to techs with a SnapOn platform with the SnapOn software, or did they actually figure out how to Marry a Cable adapter thingy to only one single scantool?
                                Call tech support, they will give you all the answers

Comment

Working...