What test or features would you like to see added to you Snap On Diagnostic tools

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GypsyR
    • Jul 2017

If you haven't heard,the GM 3 days subs are over. It's now $40 a pop for one VIN, 24 hours. But if you have an issue later and need to reflash or something you can do that on the same VIN for up to a year.

Comment

• Steve6911
      • Feb 2007

Its $40.00 per VIN for 2 years.

TIS.JPG

Comment

• GypsyR
        • Jul 2017

Ha. I just attended a seminar where a guy who claimed he was tight with GM said it was one year. Now I have to doubt everything else he told me.

Comment

• greasybob
          • May 2008

I have a 2012 F250 in here and I notice that there is no option in the module menu for the Steering Column Control Module. Having this would aid in diagnosing such things as exterior lighting inputs, horn input, cruise control switches and steering wheel angle sensor which all communicate through the SCCM.
          Attached Files

Comment

• SnapOnKid
            • Jan 2011

I'm still waiting for them to allow access to the troubleshooter without actually being hooked to a car.

Sometimes it's nice to go back and look up a vehicle in your history. Said car may not be at your shop.

Example: I have had customers stop by for 5 min, like on their lunch break, and have me scan there car and see if its something easy like a sensor or a loose gas cap or If they need to come back and drop it off.

Occasionally I have been really busy and literally scanned the car for codes to see if it's something simple like 1 or 2 codes or something more advanced with 10+ codes, and as long as it's safe send them on there way.

Then when I am caught up, I have to use another Source to go look up codes and see if any 1 thing stands out. Trouble shooter on the tool is great for that. I am already in the vehicle history looking at the codes set, But Now the car is gone and so is the troubleshooter access...

Just want to access the resources already on the tool with out being hooked to a car or the internet.
            Last edited by SnapOnKid; 03-20-2018, 12:33 AM.

Comment

• GypsyR
              • Jul 2017

Originally posted by SnapOnKid
              I'm still waiting for them to allow access to the troubleshooter with actually being hooked to a car.
              I think you meant WITHOUT being hooked to a car?

I know exactly what you mean. It doesn't make any sense that we can't pull a car up in our history and look up the troubleshooting for codes on it. I don't know how many times I've wanted to do that. I swear we're using machines designed by people who've never worked on cars.

Comment

• SnapOnKid
                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by GypsyR
                I think you meant WITHOUT being hooked to a car?

I know exactly what you mean. It doesn't make any sense that we can't pull a car up in our history and look up the troubleshooting for codes on it. I don't know how many times I've wanted to do that. I swear we're using machines designed by people who've never worked on cars.
                Good catch. Sometimes spell check gets the best of us....

Comment

• Wheel
                  • Jul 2007

What test or features would you like to see added to your Snap On Diagnostic tools

Since Snap On opened the door by giving us Harley - Davidson on our scanners, I for one am hoping they will give us other motorcycles and powersports scanning abilities at least as an option to add to our present scanners. Lot of these out there, lot of potential money to be made.
                  You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• SnapOnKid
                    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Wheel
                    Since Snap On opened the door by giving us Harley - Davidson on our scanners, I for one am hoping they will give us other motorcycles and powersports scanning abilities at least as an option to add to our present scanners. Lot of these out there, lot of potential money to be made.
                    Good point! I see lots of BMW motorcycles in my area. I also know 2 people that own and ride them.

Comment

• Wheel
                      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by SnapOnKid
                      Good point! I see lots of BMW motorcycles in my area. I also know 2 people that own and ride them.
                      I'd like to use this to get in the bike / 4 wheeler / side by side market, etc. I could make money on these using skills I already have and have worked on stuff like this at a Kawasaki dealership and otherwise in the past.
                      You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• BRIAN617
                        • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Wheel
                        I'd like to use this to get in the bike / 4 wheeler / side by side market, etc. I could make money on these using skills I already have and have worked on stuff like this at a Kawasaki dealership and otherwise in the past.

I've used my scope several times looking at patterns on bike/atv/sxs ignition problems. Cool how it crosses over.

Comment

• GypsyR
                          • Jul 2017

Well I can't perform the cylinder deactivation/active fuel management tests on GM L92 engines because the scanner doesn't have the option to command those solenoids on and off via the "output controls" as laid out in Alldata.

I might note this is a 2007 which has the system in place but which may not actually be enabled on this model. Nonetheless we've found the system to be killing one cylinder by releasing compression any time there is oil pressure. It would be nice to have been able verify what it is doing earlier via scanner per the OEM test though.
                          (Fully updated Zeus)

Comment

• greasybob
                            • May 2008

I may have mentioned it before but I run into DEF and SCR problems quite often. With the Ford 6.7 power strokes a SCR dosing measurement test is required for most diagnostics. So far I haven't seen this test in the SnapOn software. Maybe I'm missing something ?
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Witsend
                              Banned
                              • Nov 2012

I may have mentioned it before but I run into DEF and SCR problems quite often. With the Ford 6.7 power strokes a SCR dosing measurement test is required for most diagnostics. So far I haven't seen this test in the SnapOn software. Maybe I'm missing something ?
                              So if you don't have an IDS , do you try apprentice's Port Freight 08 , buy a sub and pay to do procedure through FJDS or send Diesel Dan back to Ford?

Comment

• GypsyR
                                • Jul 2017

It's a repeat but STILL my number one issue with these scanners. I can't look at the data pids or troubleshooting stuff without being hooke dto the vehicle. I didn't want or expect to READ the PIDs, I just wanted to see if one was available. Specifically whether I can see the MAF data on a 1995 F150 or not. (I can't) I even had the vehicle saved in history and still can't see any of that.

The Windows based Snap On scanners have such potential to be great reference tools if only the ability to look at vehicle information without having to be connected to them was enabled.

Say I'm talking to a customer on the phone with an issue I don't yet know much about on a vehicle I'm not familiar with. If he gave me the VIN I could punch it in and see if I could scan the modules I think I may need to or not. Because scanner coverage isn't 100%.

A real scenario (right now) is that scanner C does not seem to be able to render me the info that I want. The vehicle isn't here but scanners B and A are and have different software versions so I'd like to see if they will help me. No way of knowing. I have to physically drag them to the vehicle or bring the vehicle here and try them instead of being able to just enter the make and model info and have a quick look to see if these scanners have more or differing capability than the others.

I've noticed this sort of thing is actually partly enabled. You can load or input a vehicle right up to the connecting to OBD point and then look up available TSB's for it. (IF your subscription is current.) Full credit for that. One of those features that is realistically rarely used but very handy and great when you need or want it, thanks! (See, I don't ALWAYS complain.) Yes, I know I can look up TSB's anyway but in this scenario I could preload the vehicle, view the TSB's in comfort, and then go to where the vehicle is and plug in with my make and model info at the ready. Not a big deal with auto VIN reading (when it works) but still a kind of convenience where I wouldn't have to back completely out of what I was looking at to continue the diagnosis.

Comment

Working...