X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Indirect TPMS after 2007 is still out there

I thought it was only the older GMs that made due without TPMS sensors and illuminate a tire pressure warning based on wheel speed sensor input to the ABS controller and after 2007 all cars in the USA had to have TPMS with actual tire pressure sensors, but I had a 2013 VW Jetta (Mexico built) the other day that had the ABS and TPMS warning lamps on . The scanner pulled a ABS code for LF wheel speed sensor but no TPMS module detected.Using my TPMS tool, no TPMS sensors were detected. I filled tires to specs and advised customer the ABS and TPMS light are both related and both warning lamps are on because the ABS controller not seeing any LF wheel speed signal. Just when you think a Farfignueggen car is gonna screw you with some sort of TPMS with a Low Nitrogen Ratio lamp to contend with and reset, they throw you a curve ball and actually simplified some BS on something for a change.
  • Crusty
    • Dec 2007

That's surprising. Indirect tire pressure inference has been around for much longer than the congress mandated ACTIVE TPMS.
    And contrary to some statements, stability control wasn't waiting in the wings for "active TPMS" to come around.
    The same cats are being skinned, they're just skinned in various ways.
    The same results are being achieved, they're just achieved using different methods.
    It's also a PROVEN fact that the more complex ANY "system" is, the more prone to failures they are.
    Convoluted systems are problems given a place to happen.
    Einstein and Hawking have iterated that there is an elegant beauty in simplicity of design.
    I can fix the "new" stuff Steve. I just don't think it's "smart" to implement a convoluted system when fundamental designs can achieve the same results.
    There are more and more "smart" people with their "smart" phones, walking into traffic and getting run over by "smart" cars ..... real smart.... their foil hats didn't tell them that a 4,000-lb vehicle has more mass and momentum than their Nike designer shoes.
    Active or indirect, the dumbing down of driver skills and people relying on technology to save them is only going to make for more candidates for the Darwin awards. Do we have to implement "active" shoe sole warnings when the sole comes loose and flaps with each step-?
    There seem to be some manufacturers who have gone back to "indirect" TPMS systems but that's probably because of improvements in IC chip capability compared to 15 years ago, and much better than IC and transistor development over 4 decades ago.
    We see all three set ups up here. Active, Indirect and None. A flat tire will stop all three, sensors or not, idiot lights or not.

Comment

• Steve6911
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Crusty
      I can fix the "new" stuff Steve.
      I never said you couldn't Jay, never said I
      "liked" working on these systems either. All I said was "my feelings were" if I don't tool up and try to keep up, I may as well just get out of the way and become a lube tech. Again this is for me in my area. I NEVER slammed you or your ability or anyone else here for that matter. And yes there are some silly systems on cars these days, I am finishing up a 2017 Mercedes E300 and being its cold I turned on the heated arm rests and then seat massager while the scanner took about 18 minutes to read out all system codes, Next year this car will have a aroma module for the full spa experience while driving, now those are silly useless systems "to me" but again ppl want this junk and I can learn to fix them and my shop makes money or it goes to the dealer.

Oh, and as for the foil hat..... it wouldn't be James if he didn't have one!!!

Comment

• Witsend
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

Oh, and as for the foil hat..... it wouldn't be James if he didn't have one!!!
        An Aroma Module , So is this the same as a my ventilated seats idea tied into the Evap system and controlled by the F@rtsfignueggen Module or something more convoluted than that?

Comment

• crackerclicker
          • May 2008

Active wheel speed sensors (ie. magneto resistive) are exceptionally more accurate than traditional wheel speed sensors. These can make indirect systems more cost effective than using TPMS sensors.

Comment

Working...