X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Torque Smorque

I noticed when torquing some gaskets to specs with a beam style wrench if you hold it at the specified torque setting for several seconds the wrench will still continue to rotate quite a bit at that specified torque before it wants to a stop tightening holding that same torque. I tend to like to maintain the steady torque until rotation has stopped, but there's no sure way to read the torque with a clicker style torque wrench without digital dispay.
    I come across a lot of bolts in the field that seem to tend relieve and loosen over time. I was wondering if most of you just release the pressure after the wrench clicks or try to maintain steady pressure at that torque setting a little longer to more fully compress the gasket?
  • greasybob
    • May 2008

And thus the torque to yield bolt was born ? My arm tends to know the breaking or stripping point of most bolts. If it's not torque to yield go till you hear the beep or the click. If you have 10 torque to yield head bolts you will likely have ten different numbers on the wrench after the final angle torque, varying as much as 20 lbs at times. If you're worried about it loosening a little blue lock tight. If it keeps moving, are the surfaces and threads clean You're probably deforming something.

Comment

Working...