Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Matt
    • Dec 2008

Fuel injectors

2011 RAM 3500 6.7L cummins. Customer wants a new set of injectors. I just wanted to do some background research before committing to this job. Do the replacement injectors require software install or any re-calibration procedures that I need to be aware of? I've replaced injectors in earlier cummins without any problems, I just haven't done any 6.7Ls yet. Please advise. Thank you.
  • Glide
    • Jan 2015

You will have to enter the flow numbers that are on the side of the injectors(each injector has a specific number).Snapon scan tools have the capability to do this.

Edit: when I refer to injector number I am talking about the six digit alpha numeric correction code.
    Last edited by Glide; 04-04-2019, 08:58 AM. Reason: to avoid confusion

Comment

• Matt
      • Dec 2008

Thank you Glide. This is exactly the info I was looking for. I assume I just enter this info before I fire it up for the first time after the injectors are installed? Thanks again.

Comment

• Glide
        • Jan 2015

Yes.Go to ECM then special functions,follow the prompts and enter each six digit code in the position it is installed in,1-6.After you have completed this cycle the ignition off then on.
        The truck will run even if you don't enter the correction codes,but it will set fault codes and will not run right.

Comment

• Matt
          • Dec 2008

Thank you.

Comment

• Matt
            • Dec 2008

Ok, so ends up this guy is severely budget limited. Only DTC is P0191- fuel rail pressure sensor circuit. Doesn't misfire. Starts great. The only symptom is intermittent heavy smoke at idle and crank case over full with fuel. Is there any diagnostic strategies I can employ to locate the worst injector and replace just one for now. Any live data/PIDs to observe. Very random. I know this usually ends up bad and I need to say all 6 injectors or go somewhere else! Any suggestions, thank you.

Comment

• kirkbarrow.garage
              • Jan 2015

Only way forward, doing worst one, would be a leakoff test to see worse result and move forward slowly.

Comment

• Matt
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by kirkbarrow.garage
                Only way forward, doing worst one, would be a leakoff test to see worse result and move forward slowly.
                Will do.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                  Snap-on DSD
                  • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Matt
                  Ok, so ends up this guy is severely budget limited. Only DTC is P0191- fuel rail pressure sensor circuit. Doesn't misfire. Starts great. The only symptom is intermittent heavy smoke at idle and crank case over full with fuel. Is there any diagnostic strategies I can employ to locate the worst injector and replace just one for now. Any live data/PIDs to observe. Very random. I know this usually ends up bad and I need to say all 6 injectors or go somewhere else! Any suggestions, thank you.
                  I have 2 thoughts.

1) Don't let his budget become your problem. If you put a single injector in it you'll probably be blamed when the next one goes. Perform your diagnosis and repair independent of customer funds. In the end, the truck needs what it needs, and it's not your fault.

2) You can do a return flow test on it, but it's not easy on a Cummins, and you'll have to replace all the feed pipes to do it. If he's got no money, he won't want to do this either. If it was me, as soon as he said he didn't have the money to fix it, I'd cut him loose.

Joe
                  "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
                  Henry Ford

Comment

• BRIAN617
                    • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Joe Rappa
                    I have 2 thoughts.

1) Don't let his budget become your problem. If you put a single injector in it you'll probably be blamed when the next one goes. Perform your diagnosis and repair independent of customer funds. In the end, the truck needs what it needs, and it's not your fault.

2) You can do a return flow test on it, but it's not easy on a Cummins, and you'll have to replace all the feed pipes to do it. If he's got no money, he won't want to do this either. If it was me, as soon as he said he didn't have the money to fix it, I'd cut him loose.

Joe
                    Agreed, GOOD diesel repair isnt cheap.

Comment

• Witsend
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2012

Not sure what is in the way on a 6.7 Cummins , but the 5.9 common rail fuel injector leaks can often be visually seen.

Comment

• BRIAN617
                        • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Witsend
                        Not sure what is in the way on a 6.7 Cummins , but the 5.9 common rail fuel injector leaks can often be visually seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_w8qjxaPL8
                        I think they're talking about leaking fuel at the nozzle, internal injector leaks.

Comment

• Witsend
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2012

I think they're talking about leaking fuel at the nozzle, internal injector leaks.
                          He mentioned The crankcase is filled with fuel so chances are one is leaking externally under the valve cover. If it was leaking at nozzle the motor probably hydrolock

Comment

• Matt
                            • Dec 2008

Thanks wit & Brian. I am still chasing this one down.

Comment

• Matt
                              • Dec 2008

Does anybody know if I can run the 6.7L Cummins with the valve cover off and do a visual like Wits 5.9 video?

Comment

Working...