Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Modis500
    • Sep 2012

Modis Software/Hardware Issues

Just a quick question for all the current and previous Modis owners out there. I have had my Modis for 4 months now, and it's worked great. However today when I was trying to access a fuel pressure test thru the component tester, I had a pop up that said Modis did an illegal operation and then locked up. This is the 1st time, but sometimes when I try to use the scope after using the scanner, it says it can't turn on scope. What is this all about and should I be worried? It's been good, but have heard a few stories from previous owners about software/hardware issues and $$$$$Repairs! Any help is appreciated
    Tom
    "If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time!"
    Zig Ziglar
  • Modis500
    • Sep 2012

Also, this is the newer style Modis, as this is a 2009 Model
    Zig Ziglar

Comment

• Joe Rappa
      Snap-on DSD
      • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Modis500
      Also, this is the newer style Modis, as this is a 2009 Model
      The Modis programming is pretty clean. What version are you currently running?

Joe
      "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
      Henry Ford

Comment

• Wheel
        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Modis500
        Just a quick question for all the current and previous Modis owners out there. I have had my Modis for 4 months now, and it's worked great. However today when I was trying to access a fuel pressure test thru the component tester, I had a pop up that said Modis did an illegal operation and then locked up. This is the 1st time, but sometimes when I try to use the scope after using the scanner, it says it can't turn on scope. What is this all about and should I be worried? It's been good, but have heard a few stories from previous owners about software/hardware issues and $$$$$Repairs! Any help is appreciated
        Tom
        Not unlike a modis problem I experienced not long ago. You might try
        carefully removing the scope with the modis powered down and battery removed, make sure the terminals are clean, then re insert it and try it. We did eventually have to send ours in for repair and it has been fine since. Whether or not to fix it if necessary is up to you, but I think the Modis is worth fixing, because unlike the Verus, they left the software alone once they had it right, except for coverage updates. A good, stable tool. Too bad they don't still sell them new.
        You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• Nickb
          DSD
          • Aug 2007

I know this sounds silly, but rub a pencil eraser on the contacts of the labscope module. It gets a parasitic voltage from tempurater changes and the plastic on plastic housings create static charge. Has worked for me numerous times. Not known fix, but I know from experince it works. Hope this helps...
          DSD

Comment

• Modis500
            • Sep 2012

I have update 11.2 on it right now, Joe. The message I have gotten twice now has been "Fatal Application Error"....then I have to restart machine to get it to work. It only happens after I had the scanner in use for a few minutes, then switch over to scope to test a component. Sometimes it does it, sometimes not. Apparently previous owner had it in just before I bought it from him, saying the repairs cost him upwards of $1700. Anyway to find out from Snap On repair what type of work they did based on Serial #?
            Zig Ziglar

Comment

• twotone
              • Oct 2009

I have had my Modis for a year now and the only time I received the same message was when I was attempting to communicate with a BCM on a 2003 Impala. As you had said, it just locks up, and needs to be restarted.

Comment

• sledfreek76
                • Jun 2012

Had similiar error with my modis today. working on a VW Passat 1993 with 2.8l vr6 I was attempting cmp component test. cam position sensor. I clicked yes to next screen (scope screen), and a fatal exception error happened. had an 0x-c0000008 code which is a blue screen error. hardware. also when doing a code gather of same vehicle it asked for the 16 pin cable and the s44 key, wtf? its obd1! a 2x2 cable is required, come on snap on, I paid big bucks for this scanner and updates and the software European is full of bugs! Hard to use the scanner/scope when it craps out easily or is confused on what it needs to progress on with the task correctly!

Comment

• Modis500
                  • Sep 2012

Guys,
                  So it happened again as I was watching 4 lines of data on a Tahoe with APP/TPS issue, then the scanner froze. Restarted, did it one more time, and i called the help line. The guy had me do a system restore, and said if it did it again, have my dealer do a " Device Recover"...anyone do this with success? just found out my Modis had a new mother board put in just months before I bought it, so hope I've got some years to go! Also looking forward to stepping up to 12.4, anyone got it yet?
                  Zig Ziglar

Comment

• chaskuss
                    • Dec 2009

More terminals to clean

Originally posted by Wheel
                    Not unlike a modis problem I experienced not long ago. You might try
                    carefully removing the scope with the modis powered down and battery removed, make sure the terminals are clean, then re insert it and try it. We did eventually have to send ours in for repair and it has been fine since. Whether or not to fix it if necessary is up to you, but I think the Modis is worth fixing, because unlike the Verus, they left the software alone once they had it right, except for coverage updates. A good, stable tool. Too bad they don't still sell them new.
                    Thought I'd let anyone new who is experiencing this problem, to know that there is an extra set of contacts between the lab scope [or the scanner module] and the mother board. The sockets that these two modules plug into, do not go directly into the mother board. Instead, they plug into a dual 90 degree connector. This connector then plugs into a riser on the mother board. You will need to open the Modis to access and clean this additional connector. See the thread linked below, for photos showing this 90 degree connector and the riser on the mother board. The last photo on page 2 shows this dual 90 degree connector installed in the riser on the mother board.

Hopefully, this info will save someone an expensive repair bill.

Charlie
                    Last edited by chaskuss; 01-07-2015, 04:23 PM. Reason: Added last sentence of first paragraph.

Comment

• maven
                      • Mar 2014

When I had my MODIS years back I treated all the board edge contacts with Stabilant 22, and I stopped getting similar lockups like this. The MODIS is rugged but can still suffer from poor connections.

Comment

• chaskuss
                        • Dec 2009

Originally posted by maven
                        When I had my MODIS years back I treated all the board edge contacts with Stabilant 22, and I stopped getting similar lockups like this. The MODIS is rugged but can still suffer from poor connections.
                        Great idea. Which one of the 5 variants? See

Comment

• chaskuss
                          • Dec 2009

I think I found the answer. It appears to be Stabilant 22A per

More product info here

Comment

• maven
                            • Mar 2014

22 and 22A are the same, 22A is just a mixture of 22 and isopropyl alcohol solution. Allows it to be much thinner and have a wicking effect so it can be used on assembled connections, the alcohol carries the stabilant and then evaporates away...

If you use the 22A or make your own BE SURE you allow it ample time for the alcohol to evaporate.

While there is some debate over the actual function of the Stabilant (based on the way they claim it works) there is no such confusion with isopropyl alcohol solutions. They DO conduct electricity, and do so along any path they can. It important to allow it to fully evaporate as to avoid this issue. Straight 22 also avoids the problem.

Napa-Echlin sells Stabilant22A under part number CE1, but its stupid expensive. If you want to use 22/22A order it online, kits to make your own 30mL bottle of 22A are under $40.

Though I have never used it DeOxit Gold is also marketed as good choice for for this as well, and is MUCH cheaper and should be available locally at Radio Shack (if you still have any....)

I use DeOxit D or regular or whatever the standard stuff is on all big connector/high current stuff that gets funky around here where we have snowy salted winter roads, along with ocean and saltwater bay within a half mile of each other. Trailer connections, starter power and solenoid connections, stuff like that. But I dont use it on signal circuits or other low current sensitive stuff....dont know why, just trust the 22 and NyeGel 760G for those applications.

NyeGel 760G is available online and GM #12377900 is available at dealers and jobbers obviously, cheapest option and does work great, but will attract more dirt than 22 and is more difficult to apply very thin and evenly since its a thick gel.

Comment

Working...