Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jocko
    • May 2010

modis screen

Hey is anybody having trouble reading the modis screen? I Just looked at the new kindle reader from amazon and it is really easy to read and only costs $260.00. Really fustrated the best tool company in the world cannot do any better. Would like someone that engineers these things to check out the kindle.
  • Billcmat
    • Apr 2007

Is the Kindle screen in color? If not, that is part of the problem. Color costs much more, and monochrome (B/W) is easier to display and read.

Willie
    Bill Mays
    Duffy's Repair Service
    Ashland, VA

Comment

• kebo1970
      • Nov 2008

modis

Originally posted by Jocko
      Hey is anybody having trouble reading the modis screen? I Just looked at the new kindle reader from amazon and it is really easy to read and only costs $260.00. Really fustrated the best tool company in the world cannot do any better. Would like someone that engineers these things to check out the kindle.
      what are you having trouble seeing on the modis; the screen looks fine to me. in sunlight alot of things are hard to see

Comment

• bruno50
        • May 2010

modis screen

I agree jocko, I wonder if I have to stand on my head to read the screen everytime I go to a customers car to scan. It ask's for the VIN and I end up with the modis under the drivers brake pedal and my head reaching to the door post to read the VIN and enter it into the modis. Not to mention when trying to look at the data that is happening sometimes in a blink of the eye. And forget test drives with any sun at all. I know Snap On can do better and we should hold them accountable until they do. We spend good money and alot of it, and should demand a good product and support.
        I remember the day when there where only hand tools and Snap On stood behind them 100%. No Questions asked, Now if there is a problem with there computerized tools they tell you to spend more money for there updates and upgrades and software and on and on. One big money pit...

Comment

• crackerclicker
          • May 2008

" It ask's for the VIN and I end up with the modis under the drivers brake pedal and my head reaching to the door post to read the VIN and enter it into the modis."

i'm waiting for manufacturers to use braille for vin numbers

Comment

• Steve6911
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by bruno50
            I agree jocko, I wonder if I have to stand on my head to read the screen everytime I go to a customers car to scan. It ask's for the VIN and I end up with the modis under the drivers brake pedal and my head reaching to the door post to read the VIN and enter it into the modis. Not to mention when trying to look at the data that is happening sometimes in a blink of the eye. And forget test drives with any sun at all. I know Snap On can do better and we should hold them accountable until they do. We spend good money and alot of it, and should demand a good product and support.
            One big money pit...
            Bruno
            As Bill stated it is a color screen not monochrome, a color screen that is good in the sunlight is BIG $$$. The Verus is better in the sun then the Modis, but I know that doesn't help you. As for the test drives, the tool is always recording why not graph the data and return to the shop and view it. You can't safely watch the data and drive anyway. As for the money pit statement, "I" disagree, I have both the Modis and Verus, use and love them both.

Steve

Comment

• kebo1970
              • Nov 2008

modis screen

í'm with SNAP ON on this one. the software has problems and i know the cost of it; if you know of a better product on the market let me know. i can't think of any diagnostic equipment without flaws. the software can use some improvements, but snap on does make a quality product.

Comment

• beetlebob
                • May 2010

Trouble seeing screen

I hope you know that you can adjust the screen contrast and brightness to see it better.Also if your screen is scratched a lot it is hard to see. It all matters on how good you take care of your tools. I live on the coast and it is sunny here and I have no problems after I learned how to adjust the screen and to stop scratching the cover. It can be replaced.$$$. Hope this helps

Comment

• normanatlm
                  • Apr 2009

my screen looks good to me, I usually record the vin on my paper work (ro), along with tag and mileage, get in the car, crank up the ac, and enter my info.
                  went to snop on "10 modes of obd2" class, saw a sweet set up, they had a roll cart with a flat screen attached to modis, that is now on my to "get list" mount that puppy on my roll cart, get some 10 ft leads from asewave, gonna get a flat screen with a built in dvd player.
                  hmm, I got an extra lead for the diag connector too, wonder if snap on will go wireless, of course that will slow up connection (data) speeds.
                  Last edited by normanatlm; 06-05-2010, 05:41 AM.

Comment

• Steve Fla
                    • Nov 2010

modis screen too dim

Go getem jocko, I purchased a modis used. I got it cheap enough and after polishing the screen lense/cover (inside and out) it still sucks. They can find cheap enough screens for blackberrys, psp's etc. that you can see fine and still not make the thing cost $5000. I'm not expecting to see the screen very well in direct sunlight but you definitely need to see the data on a road test. For those of you happy with it are you inside a closed building? The screen looks great in lowlight conditions but not in the real world. I just don't see how much more a better screen could inflate the cost of an allready overpriced tool. this has cured me of buying any other snapon diagnostic tool's. The verus is close to $10,000.00, wtf, that will never happen. Very disappointed with Modis screen and no apparrent solution.

Comment

• kebo1970
                      • Nov 2008

Modis Screen

Your Not Supposed To Look At The Screen On A Test Drive; The Modis Is Recording For You So When You Get Back To The Shop You Can Playback The Data. If You Adjust The Contrast It May Help With The Screen Problem. If You Put Your Tv Outside You Would Get The Same Glare On The Screen; I Try To Use Mine's(modis) In A Shaded Area

Comment

Working...