Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kohlmak
    • Dec 2010

Update Hardware

So i called SO and they said its around 3gs to update my older modis with new hardware/software. Seems a little steep but im thinking about it. What benefits will i gain by upgrading? They said they replace the screen and all boards or something. How long does it usually take?
  • McCalls Garage
    • Jul 2010

I just had to have a new motherboard and screen installed and it was 1300. But mine already had the newer board w usb in the l. grip. My screen went blank and I had to send it off, but it came back w updated cables as well...Not sure what else is involved with yours...What software are you running and does that price include the new version? HTH

Comment

• kohlmak
      • Dec 2010

I dont have the USB in the motherboard. I dont understand how it can be $2,995 to update some hardware. It included updated software which is required. I dont understand why i need a new screen and such? what were you saying about cables?

Comment

• McCalls Garage
        • Jul 2010

my screen stopped working and they installed a new board as well, just saying that I got a new board with the 1300.00 price is all. The new cables have red connectors, I can't remember the difference now, but it came with a new cable. SO if u take the retail price of software and the price I paid you are close to 3000.00 dollars. Just trying to share what I paid for a repair that included a new board. I had an older MODIS and I sold it and bought the one I have now and it definitely is faster at turning on and scrolling through screens. The usb is nice because you "don't have" to swap the flash card over to your pc to view files. I was able to buy the one I have now for less than the price of updating my old one so that is why I went that route. Maybe something to consider... The screen issue I think was my fault not the MODIS, so yea I had to pay for the repair of that but still have less in it than updating my old one. HTH

Comment

• crackerclicker
          • May 2008

how old is your modis now, and what software does it currently have? if you are using 4.4 or older, you need the updated plastic scanner module. if you're just updating the software on something newer that 4.4 then you should only need an updated software cf card.
          the hardware update is a new sunlight readable screen with replaceable plastic screen cover, and a new board with the mini usb port (with some other upgrades i'm not sure of).
          it is possible that in the future snap on may decide to no longer support cf card updates, so that is something you may want to consider in your decision.

Comment

• kohlmak
            • Dec 2010

I plan on sending it in and having them give me an estimate on what it will cost. Im pretty sure i have the new case, but have the old board and screen. The new board has the faster processor which i could really use. My screen also has a line of pixels that are out. im using 9.2 right now which isnt that bad. my modis is from 2003.

Comment

• Goosed59
              • Dec 2010

Modis RAM

Is it possible to upgrade the RAM ? Just got a unit back from repair/upgrade (new board, screen and module). The unit has only 48568KB of memory (48MB). If it is possible to increase the RAM, then it would definately be a bonus.

Comment

• Goosed59
                • Dec 2010

MODIS RAM Upgrade

Got tired of waiting for a reply, so I opened up one of the units that I have and took a look (older without the mini usb under the handgrip). Has a sdram slot, that had a 64MB PC100 card intstalled and also has an additional laptop sd memory slot, that was vacant. Installed a 128MB sdram PC100 card. The unit booted up without incident and appears to be functiong significantly faster. The only problem at this point is the macine is reporting the same amount of memory as when it had the 64MB card installed. Is there any way of tweaking this?
                Research on my end shows that the Windows CE operating sytem will handle up to 256MB ram.

Comment

Working...