Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tecnick
    • May 2012

Bug Report

4 times now I have gotten what I call "the black screen of death" it only happens when the tool sits for 5 min or so without me touching buttons or the screen. 3 of the times on a test drive recording data I would look over and the screen would be completely black and 1 time it happened right on my toolbox but that time it had a yellow tint to it.

When it happens I touch thenscreen and it makes the windows error sound every time I touch it but the screen never turns back on. The normal LED lights are on and it still is connected to the scan module. The battery is above 1/2 every time as well.

I end up having to hold the power button and force a restart to get it working again. No other issues have been noticed but this. I'm on software 12.2 Verus Wireless
  • tecnick
    • May 2012

Today I noticed the screen flashes like a floresent light bulb :-/ wonder if the touch screen is failing....

Comment

• TurboJim
      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by tecnick
      Today I noticed the screen flashes like a floresent light bulb :-/ wonder if the touch screen is failing....
      Nah, I see that happen once in awhile. It'll blip. Unless yours does it continuously

And I HATE when mine locks like yours. Black screen, unresponsive, always when you just logged a sh1tload of data to review

Think theres also a S3 firmware bug. Sometimes, if you "switch vehicles" with the S3 plugged into a new vehicle already, it will get out of "sync". On a Chrysler auto-ID in particular, the vin will be jumbled, and it reads the wrong digit for the year, in all vehicles sometimes you'll get "An error has occurred", sometimes you'll get "No codes to display". I remedy this by simply unlugging the S3 from the DLC, plugging it back in, let it reconnect BT, then its fine.
      Jim Testa
      Senior Technician
      JD Automotive & Truck Inc
      Dover, NJ

Comment

• brads
        • Feb 2009

12.4 software

12.4 has lock up problems too
        4 times now I have gotten what I call "the black screen of death" it only happens when the tool sits for 5 min or so without me touching buttons or the screen. 3 of the times on a test drive recording data I would look over and the screen would be completely black and 1 time it happened right on my toolbox but that time it had a yellow tint to it.

When it happens I touch thenscreen and it makes the windows error sound every time I touch it but the screen never turns back on. The normal LED lights are on and it still is connected to the scan module. The battery is above 1/2 every time as well.

I end up having to hold the power button and force a restart to get it working again. No other issues have been noticed but this. I'm on software 12.2 Verus Wireless

Comment

• tecnick
          • May 2012

Update:

I was helping a friend at his shop and he has a newer Verus than mine (maybe 2 months) his black screened on me too.....

I called snap-on and they told me its a "Power settings" problem. They installed a patch that keeps it awake no matter what. It hasn't locked up yet but the screen flickered quite a bit this morning

Another awesome thing it did today was on boot up it hung up at the black screen with " _ " in the top left. I had to reboot because it locked there.....

Really great tool but really sucks all these little things keep happening....

Comment

• tecnick
            • May 2012

Originally posted by TurboJim
            Nah, I see that happen once in awhile. It'll blip. Unless yours does it continuously

And I HATE when mine locks like yours. Black screen, unresponsive, always when you just logged a sh1tload of data to review

Think theres also a S3 firmware bug. Sometimes, if you "switch vehicles" with the S3 plugged into a new vehicle already, it will get out of "sync". On a Chrysler auto-ID in particular, the vin will be jumbled, and it reads the wrong digit for the year, in all vehicles sometimes you'll get "An error has occurred", sometimes you'll get "No codes to display". I remedy this by simply unlugging the S3 from the DLC, plugging it back in, let it reconnect BT, then its fine.

It drives me crazy when switching vehicles it won't resync with the S3. Ive had to do USB just to even get it to connect after switching no matter how many different ways I try..... ahhhhhhh!!!!!

Comment

• sandt38
              • May 2012

To stop the errors and synch issues just return all the way back to the home screen before disconnecting the module and changing vehicles. I have found that if I do this I almost never have synch issues. I can't say I never have them, because I don't always remember to exit all the way and can't always recall if I did switch, but if I make a concerted effort to do this I can't recall a sync or lock up issue.

Comment

• tecnick
                • May 2012

Originally posted by sandt38
                To stop the errors and synch issues just return all the way back to the home screen before disconnecting the module and changing vehicles. I have found that if I do this I almost never have synch issues. I can't say I never have them, because I don't always remember to exit all the way and can't always recall if I did switch, but if I make a concerted effort to do this I can't recall a sync or lock up issue.

When I switch vehicles I hit the "switch vehicle" icon at the bottom of the screen to end communication. Simply going to the home screen doesn't free up the S3

Comment

• sandt38
                  • May 2012

When I switch vehicles I hit the "switch vehicle" icon at the bottom of the screen to end communication. Simply going to the home screen doesn't free up the S3
                  I know. As I stated go all the way back to the home screen and change vehicles. I guess I should have clarified that after going to the home screen you need to select the "change vehicle" button.

Comment

• funrazor23
                    • Mar 2011

I have been dealing with this for over a year. I have spent a ton of time on the phone with tech support. I did the power settings, they sent me a new battery, sent it in and got a new hard drive. and still same thing. they gave me a loaner to use and guess what SAME THING! I always record video of it and send it to my rep. lucky for me he was there this morning to see it in person. LOL. the only thing that bothers me is he always says I have tons of them out there and nobody else is having problems. ********. I tell him every time hit the fourms and tell me that im the only one that has this issue. they make it seem like I am doing something. Im on the verge of trying to get my money back and maybe finding a modis and get a pico setup. just want my issue fixed and its been like 15 months and crappy customer service. when I sent it in for the hard drive to be replaced they kept it for a month and didnt leave me anything to use. cmon snap on you charge a arm and a leg for your products and the other arm and leg for the updates. this should not be a issue. sorry op. this is a touchy subject for me

Comment

• astgarage
                      • Jan 2008

Turn off your screen saver

On the Verus wireless I had the screen would also go blank after sitting a few minutes in battery mode. What I found is turn off the screen saver, and in power saving setting have the monitor shut off after x number of minutes , I set it to 5, and I know longer had that problem. I now have the Verus Pro and it hasn't had the problem yet.

Comment

Working...