Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kvr901
    • May 2010

Old Snap-Link software for MT2500

I used to be a mechanic, but been out of the business for 25 years. I have a Solus Pro and a Vantage Pro, but for two of my older cars (1987 and 1995) I need to use an MT2500 for a couple of things. This is for personal use.

Off and on I've been searching for the Snap-Link software for about 6 years. Finally found it for $5 dollars today, and took a gamble.

It doesn't want to install, because it has been installed previously and says to call some 877 phone (which leads me to Snap-On technical support) to get some code to type in. It is Friday evening after hours, so I can't reach them.

Does anyone have the code? Am I screwed, or can someone help me?

TIA
  • kvr901
    • May 2010

I called Snap-On Diagnostics on Monday, but they were unwilling to help.

Where should I look for some help with this?

Someone somewhere must be able to help.

Comment

• Steve6911
      • Feb 2007

Jens

Sorry to say I think you lost your $5.00 gamble. Snap-on stopped support of the Mt-2500 several years ago. Snap-link was designed to work on Windows 95, 98 and NT. Mircosoft hasn't supported these OS's for years. Maybe look for a PC geek with time on his hands

Steve

Comment

• kvr901
        • May 2010

Not unlike many other mechanics (I'm a former mechanic) I have well over $50K (possibly nearing $100K) in Snap-On tools. I think Snap-On should be willing to give me a hand with this.

I think Snap-On diagnostics "we don't support that anymore" is pretty lame.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
          Snap-on DSD
          • Aug 2007

That software was designed to run in DOS 5.0. It unstable on Windows 95. It's not supported anymore because there are no platforms left to run it on. It was a cool program 20 years ago but any operating system that it ran on isn't supported anymore either.

So you know, the floppy that it came on as a single install disk. Once it was loaded on a computer once it couldn't be done again. Tech support can't help you with that. There was no way around it. However, it could still be run directly from the floppy. So as long as the disk is still working and you have a computer/operating system that will run something that old, then it will still work. If I remember correctly, all you have to do is run the .exe file.

Do you have a serial port on that PC or are you going to try using a USB to serial port adapter?

Joe
          "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
          Henry Ford

Comment

• Witsend
            Banned
            • Nov 2012

Found a Snap On Snap Link -link in case anyone wants to know what it once was looks like the harbinger of Shop Stream Connect

Comment

• kvr901
              • May 2010

Originally posted by Joe Rappa
              That software was designed to run in DOS 5.0. It unstable on Windows 95. It's not supported anymore because there are no platforms left to run it on. It was a cool program 20 years ago but any operating system that it ran on isn't supported anymore either.

So you know, the floppy that it came on as a single install disk. Once it was loaded on a computer once it couldn't be done again. Tech support can't help you with that. There was no way around it. However, it could still be run directly from the floppy. So as long as the disk is still working and you have a computer/operating system that will run something that old, then it will still work. If I remember correctly, all you have to do is run the .exe file.

Do you have a serial port on that PC or are you going to try using a USB to serial port adapter?

Joe

I have several older computers. All have serial and LPT ports.

I don't have the software in front of me as I type this, but it is version 5 on CD. The documentation is copyright 2000 or so. There is a 3.5" key diskette. (BTW the write protection tab is engaged, so I am curious how anything was written to the disk. Briefly reading the installation manual I didn't see anything about engaging write protection after use).

This version is for several Windows versions including Win 95, 98, and NT. (This is not a DOS version).

When trying to install it a dialog box pops up saying "This Snap-Link 5.01 key diskette has already been used!" It says to call Snap-On tech support. And, it shows a "The override request code: 18190'

There is box to check. When checked a field is displayed into which the user can "Enter the password from MRIC Tech Support"

Comment

• Crusty
                • Dec 2007

Just a WAG but I wonder if the files could be converted to be read by SSC-?? Witsend is pretty good at messing with stuff. Or maybe someone at the SSC group in SnapOn might know of a way......
                I've never messed with the Snap-Link so I'm not familiar with how files might be created.

Comment

• Witsend
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2012

Just a WAG but I wonder if the files could be converted to be read by SSC-?? Witsend is pretty good at messing with stuff. Or maybe someone at the SSC group in SnapOn might know of a way......
                  I've never messed with the Snap-Link so I'm not familiar with how files might be created.
                  LOL, also pretty good at messing stuff up too like Tudor LeTurd .Help Mr Install Wizard Help!.....
                  Trizzle Trezzle Trazzle Trome. Way past Time to go Home (and download Shop Stream Connect for free on a modern PC and use your Solus Pro Instead of MT2500) LOL

If I had a lot of time involved triing to get an old program to run on an old ratty PC and still had an old floppy key diskette from an old Mitchell repair program, I would probably be tempted to try (fry?) anything.
                  Last edited by Witsend; 07-22-2015, 07:17 AM.

Comment

• sbreland73
                    • Jan 2009

Upgrade.
                    S. Breland

Comment

• Crusty
                      • Dec 2007

I would use my Solus-PRO too but for some reason he says

"I have a Solus Pro and a Vantage Pro, but for two of my older cars (1987 and 1995) I need to use an MT2500 for a couple of things."

I have run across some things that the Solus-PRO will not do on older vehicles so if he has found some things that still needs the old faithful, and he has one, why not...

Shop Stream Connect is a fantastic program and If SnapOn didn't have it, I wouldn't have even considered their equipment years ago.
                      The crew at SSC have made some very dramatic improvements in the last three years too.

Comment

• Wheel
                        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Joe Rappa

Joe
                        You are thinking of the Scan Grafix program Snap On originally sold. I had pretty good luck with it even with xp. It would give you a screen full of pids in text form or graphs - crude, but still helpful. The software company that wrote scan Grafix later came out with a Windows version called Scan Grafix plus, which could open all the older program's files and do more with them. I don't think Snap On ever offered this program, opting instead to offer the Snap - Link program that we've been discussing. There was an almost identical version of this program included with my Shopkey subscription on disc at about this time called Scan - Link.
                        You can also use the print feature of the brick and print the screen or frame (text only) to the AESwave program which is still available.
                        Except for Scan Grafix plus - which I still regret not buying - I have put all these programs to good use.
                        You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• billkitt
                          • Aug 2013

Anything?

Was anyone able to come up with a solution to this Key Diskette issue? Before anyone starts yelling at me (ha ha) we have every piece of Snap On diagnostic equipment known to man and I have every possible method of viewing scope patterns, OBD2 data, emissions etc. That's not the issue. Since I teach this stuff, I have found it very useful for students to actually see timing marks, spark kvs, coil saturation, and relationship between mis-fire, timing and emissions etc. That's why I would like to get this Sun 450 back running again. Also, if anyone does have that old machine and can take a picture of the hose routing in/on the emissions bench, I would pay for it. Every peice of hose is brittle and rotted out. I gave up on that months ago.

Thanks in advance

Bill

Comment

• Crusty
                            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by billkitt
                            Was anyone able to come up with a solution to this Key Diskette issue? Before anyone starts yelling at me (ha ha) we have every piece of Snap On diagnostic equipment known to man and I have every possible method of viewing scope patterns, OBD2 data, emissions etc. That's not the issue. Since I teach this stuff, I have found it very useful for students to actually see timing marks, spark kvs, coil saturation, and relationship between mis-fire, timing and emissions etc. That's why I would like to get this Sun 450 back running again. Also, if anyone does have that old machine and can take a picture of the hose routing in/on the emissions bench, I would pay for it. Every peice of hose is brittle and rotted out. I gave up on that months ago.

Thanks in advance

Bill
                            Maybe someone in this group may be able to help.....

engineanalyzers@yahoogroups.com

HTH

Comment

Working...