Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

So which one is the best to use for GM cars? I mean as far as diagnosing. Tech 2 or GDS2???
    I think I would stick to the Original GD scanner than curse twice

Comment

• Crusty
      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by ToltecasChavez
      So which one is the best to use for GM cars? I mean as far as diagnosing. Tech 2 or GDS2???
      I don't care for laptop scanners and would pick my Solus-Pro first, then the TECH-II second ( but for older stuff), then perhaps the Solus-Ultra, and only go to the laptop scanner for newer or the Global-A vehicles.
      MAVEN is more current as to which works well but I prefer the SnapOn scanners for data collection and saving

Comment

• maven
        • Mar 2014

Originally posted by ToltecasChavez
        If you work on predominantly pre 2010 GM vehicles the Tech2/CANdi module is required and almost the holy grail LOL. (CANdi module needed for most 2004-up)

In 2010 GM started switching from its Class2, orginal GMLAN (and UART) networks, and implementing what it calls Global-A. Any vehicle that received new electrical architecture starting in the 2010 model year switched over to Global-A. These Global-A vehicles require the use of a J2534 module and the GDS2 PC software.

(The Drew Tech Mongoose is a great choice for GM PC based software diagnostic tools)

You can use a J2534 tool and the Tech2Win software to allow diagnosis of older vehicles without a Tech2 handheld but the Tech2 is still the superior tool to the Tech2Win PC emulator.

GDS2, Tech2Win are both subscription based services. A Tech2 is yours forever once you pay for it, and requires no updates or subscription to function.

A general rule of thumb is if the DLC has pin2 occupied, use the Tech2, if the DLC has pin 12-13 occupied use GDS2, if 2, 12, and 13 are empty use Tech2/CANdi.

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
          • Apr 2011

That is some excellent info Maven. Thanks!!!

Comment

• phill57
            • Oct 2007

great information!

Originally posted by maven
            If you work on predominantly pre 2010 GM vehicles the Tech2/CANdi module is required and almost the holy grail LOL. (CANdi module needed for most 2004-up)

In 2010 GM started switching from its Class2, orginal GMLAN (and UART) networks, and implementing what it calls Global-A. Any vehicle that received new electrical architecture starting in the 2010 model year switched over to Global-A. These Global-A vehicles require the use of a J2534 module and the GDS2 PC software.

(The Drew Tech Mongoose is a great choice for GM PC based software diagnostic tools)

You can use a J2534 tool and the Tech2Win software to allow diagnosis of older vehicles without a Tech2 handheld but the Tech2 is still the superior tool to the Tech2Win PC emulator.

GDS2, Tech2Win are both subscription based services. A Tech2 is yours forever once you pay for it, and requires no updates or subscription to function.

A general rule of thumb is if the DLC has pin2 occupied, use the Tech2, if the DLC has pin 12-13 occupied use GDS2, if 2, 12, and 13 are empty use Tech2/CANdi.

That's very good information! Thanks for that. clears up a few uncertainties I had. It's unfortunate that the GDS2 was not made backwards compatible to use on the older GM vehicles. Would have invested in that if it was. Still not seeing too many Global-A vehicles in the shop. The Snap-On scanner has worked for most of what I needed to do so far. The industry seems to be moving towards subscription based service. Let's hope that Snap-On doesn't try that.

Comment

• phill57
              • Oct 2007

saved recordings

Originally posted by Crusty
              One of the BEST advantages Snap-On scanner have is the ability to GRAPH nicely (well, for the most part....others are aware of my rants regarding the graphing and glitches but they don't seem to think it's important enough to FIX-!!! DAMMIT-!! )

Graphing AND SHOP STREAM CONNECT together make for EXCELLENT DATA STORAGE AND REVIEW at a later date. Even weeks or months or years later-!!! All in a standard format that crosses virtually all the Snap-On scanners and scopes-!!! THIS is very much SUPERIOR to the majority of "OE" scanners and the "OE-SNOBS" really don't know what they're missing.

This is where we can see, HEY, everything was FINE here two years ago.... WHAT has changed-?? Part of the proverbial WHO, WHAT, WHEN, WHERE, HOW questions we all need to ask ourselves during ANY diagnosis.... and we have our own "known good" data already collected (if one is disciplined enough to gather that information in the first place)

I don't know if the Verus or Verus-Pro is doing this, but, the Solus-ULTRA will ONLY DISPLAY THE MOST RECENT 50 FILES so it behooves anyone to SAVE YOUR DATA COLLECTED ON YOUR PC-!!!

It would be a smart move for anyone with ANY Snap-On scan tool to copy their collected files to a second location and not rely on the machine to save it all and be certain that those files are retrievable-!!!

BACK-IT-UP-!!!!
              Hello Crusty

The Verus platforms save as many recordings as your hard drive has room for. I just upgraded to the Verus Por. Had my original Verus for almost 7 years, (since November 2008). There is a utility that allows you to backup and migrate all your recorded data including pid recordings, customer data files, scanner recordings, screen captures, pictures and saved custom labscope presets. I moved all my history from the original verus to the pro and everthing works great! Also with the Verus and I believe the Verdict there is no limit to the length of scanner recording that you can take.

In case you were not aware the new 15.2 software opens SSC automatically when you review a scanner recording in the Atlas software now. It's pretty sweet.

Comment

Working...