Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tech12
    • Oct 2010

Flashing used Dodge ECM

In a previous post, Diagnostic Guru mentioned a process in which he described - On Chrysler Vehicles with SKIM, you simply "Unplug" SKIM Module before you program PCM. Reprogram PCM, write the VIN, and plug SKIM back in and your done. If you don't do this, then you will have to use the DRB-3 on Non CAN Chryslers or the WiTech on CAN Chrysler vehicles to reset the SKIM. Remember that J-2534 is simply "Aftermarket" programming and they do not make it easy. I recommend the Factory Tools if you are doing much programming, they are very easy to program with. I followed this process on a 2004 Dodge SX 2.0 and it worked perfectly. This was my first flash on a Dodge/Chrysler with my PTPII. Does anyone have any words of wisdom regarding flashing used modules on a Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep that I can use for future jobs? I find that my customers are usually trying to install used ECMs instead of new and I want things to go smoothly for my part. I have read that 3 plug ECMs (NGC controllers) cannot be re-used and I have read about the hazards of installing an ECM from a SKIM equipped system to a Non-SKIM system. Anything else?
  • Trindaddy
    • Jan 2010

I knew I couldn't be the only one that found that post intriguing! I cant wait to try it. Also, does anyone know where to navigate to see what Chrysler modules are programable and what the latest calibration is for a particular module before you pay for a scrip? Nice work Mr 12.

Comment

• Orevin
      • Aug 2010

Chrysler allows emission related controllers to be reprogrammed, PCM and TCM.

Take your scan tool and look up the current calibration number (Mode $09 works well). Then go to
      TechAuthority, scroll to the bottom of the page and follow the link Related Documents and Links:

cta_01.jpg

There you click on
      J-2534 Flash Availability:

cta_02.jpg

A rather large PDF file will open, here is a direct link to it:
      https://www.techauthority.com/Docume...ailability.pdf

Use the search function of the PDF-reader, plug in the current calibration# and hit enter/search:

cta_03.jpg

If your number shows up in the old part# column, a new calibration is available. Chrysler also lists related TSBs, read them to see if the new calibration will fix the car you're working on (ideally you should have read them already and arrive here because of a TSB ):

cta_04.jpg
      -Kai-
      Chicago, IL

Comment

• Trindaddy
        • Jan 2010

Yes! Thats the page i was looking for! Did they move this? Could they make it any harder to locate? I used to be able to get here months ago, when i last checked, (before i was a programming effecienado). Thanks again Kai, you just may be Flash Gordon! Neil

Comment

• aautomaan
          • Oct 2007

used module flashing

I've done this on a few before 2005 and all that was needed was clear the vin, rewrite the vin, rewrite mileage. i use the PTP II w/ J2534 toolbox 2, downloaded from drew technologies. was able to take new controllers and enter vin and mileage and start up until the other day. 2005 rubicon. entered vin mileage and whooops no start. had to reflash controller, reset skim (toolbox 2 has this option), clear vin (because it popped up with all ffffffff's), rewrite vin, and rewrite sri, i think this is a glitch though because you are resetting a service reminder indicator and after work is done and looking at pids this number comes up in mileage in the pcm (not instrument cluster) but you cannot input mileage because you cannot enter above a certain number (it tells you what the number is). I'm not sure if i was doing something wrong or maybe the tool wasn't doing it right but it took several attempts and finally went through. i'm not sure, but i strongly think, it may be because of the switching on and off of the key (which the tool tells you to do), the last time it worked i did not switch off ignition at all. just click the box when it tells you to turn it off. all was good, started, test drive, no problems.

hth

the more i learn, the more i realize how much i really don't know
          the more i learn, the more i realize what i really don't know
          http://www.hightechautoandtruck.com/

Geoffrey Bell
          Master Technician
          Dale City, VA

Comment

• aamcowc
            • Aug 2011

Used Pcm

Any experience with replacing pcm with a used pcm. Dodge is out of stock on PCM for 03 Intrepid. I got PCM with identical part number and calibration. The key does not have a transponder.

I used Tool box 2 to reset and vin write process. Now the car does not turn over and I cannot get any codes with modis. One problem I had was when doing the calibration update, it did not finish updating the TCM. This PCM seems to have ECM and TCM software in it.

Any ideas?

Comment

• Rich Barton
              • Sep 2007

Originally posted by aamcowc
              Any experience with replacing pcm with a used pcm. Dodge is out of stock on PCM for 03 Intrepid. I got PCM with identical part number and calibration. The key does not have a transponder.

I used Tool box 2 to reset and vin write process. Now the car does not turn over and I cannot get any codes with modis. One problem I had was when doing the calibration update, it did not finish updating the TCM. This PCM seems to have ECM and TCM software in it.

Any ideas?
              Morning aamcowc,

Do you still have the vin from the old car if so run it threw chrysler parts department and see if it was equiped with skim security.

One thing to remember a pcm can have the same part# and have skim security or not.

If it is a security problem you will need to replace pcm and bcm or add skim module and keys to get running.

If it is a software problem retry to flash,there might be some special instructions in the tsb flash to unplug the bcm during flashing or tcm wont load correct.

Good luck.
              Rich Barton
              C.R.B. Repair

Comment

• Rich Barton
                • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Rich Barton
                Morning aamcowc,

Do you still have the vin from the old car if so run it threw chrysler parts department and see if it was equiped with skim security.

One thing to remember a pcm can have the same part# and have skim security or not.

If it is a security problem you will need to replace pcm and bcm or add skim module and keys to get running.

If it is a software problem retry to flash,there might be some special instructions in the tsb flash to unplug the bcm during flashing or tcm wont load correct.

Good luck.
                I found it for you it is in the flash tsb info.
                Attached Files
                Rich Barton
                C.R.B. Repair

Comment

• jm43130
                  • Apr 2008

Just installed a used pcm in a 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan with 3.8 that did not have a skim module. Used pcm had skim enabled and would not start vehicle. I used J2534 toolbox 2 from CarDaq, hooked up PSP2, ran the skim reset and gave me all FFFFFFFFF's in VIN. Then rewrote VIN into pcm. Vehicle started right up and was okay. Evidently on this make-model combo it works.

Comment

• tech12
                    • Oct 2010

Dodge flash

Sweet! Thanks for letting us know!

Eric

Comment

• staarstechengr
                      • Sep 2011

staarstechengr reply

Originally posted by tech12
                      In a previous post, Diagnostic Guru mentioned a process in which he described - On Chrysler Vehicles with SKIM, you simply "Unplug" SKIM Module before you program PCM. Reprogram PCM, write the VIN, and plug SKIM back in and your done. If you don't do this, then you will have to use the DRB-3 on Non CAN Chryslers or the WiTech on CAN Chrysler vehicles to reset the SKIM. Remember that J-2534 is simply "Aftermarket" programming and they do not make it easy. I recommend the Factory Tools if you are doing much programming, they are very easy to program with. I followed this process on a 2004 Dodge SX 2.0 and it worked perfectly. This was my first flash on a Dodge/Chrysler with my PTPII. Does anyone have any words of wisdom regarding flashing used modules on a Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep that I can use for future jobs? I find that my customers are usually trying to install used ECMs instead of new and I want things to go smoothly for my part. I have read that 3 plug ECMs (NGC controllers) cannot be re-used and I have read about the hazards of installing an ECM from a SKIM equipped system to a Non-SKIM system. Anything else?
                      the solution is for you to get a skimm reader from www.getskim.com ,then you raedout the skim number and you use your snapon diagnostics tool to scan the used pcm and goto ecu information you will see the vin number of the used ecu edit it into the skim then reprogram the key and start the car if you are not ok you can mail me on ,staarstechengr@yahoo.com,,,,,,, i have more than 30 chryslers with used pcm it works 100%

Comment

• Steve6911
                        • Feb 2007

Yes, the Dmax has been around for a while and does a great job. However if I remember right the tool is about $1,800.00 The website shows the yearly update cost at $500.00 This puts the cost of the tool way out of reach for the tech that only does a few SKIM cars a year. Work is being done on the Toolbox2 to make it work as it should.

Steve

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
                          • Apr 2011

New here. I have to say that everything worked from what you guys stated. I was able to program a chrysler Town & Country PCM and SKIM successfully with the steps you guys mentioned. I used my VERUS, but made sure evrything had power. Meaning hooking up the battery to my snapon EEBC500, power cable to my VERUS and straight Ethernet cable. I used to use WIFI until one day it failed on me an killed my PCM. So I do everything with cables, a bit of a hassle, but worth it in the end. :-D

Comment

• elzarra
                            • Nov 2013

there is a company (auto computer exchange) that I often order chrysler/jeep/dodge PCM's for jeep grand cherokee with skim and oteher ones like RAM 2004 with skim also. I asked them to delete skim ant they send me a PCM with out skim, all I need to do is disconect the skim and leaved unpluged. car will star every time with skim disconected.

do you know how they do this?

Comment

Working...