Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phill57
    • Oct 2007

Ford ABS Component Tests Incorrect

Just in case someone is unaware, the Ford ABS wheel speed sensor tests since around 2005 are incorrect since they have also gone to two wire digital sensors similar to GM and Chrysler. The component tests in the Verus and Vantage Pro only reflect the magnetic pulse generator concept. Working on an 05 Freestar on the weekend and found this out after much frustration. Come on Snap-On thats only 7 years of incorrect information. (unless I'm doing something wrong).
  • oaeyeo121003
    • Oct 2010

Use ground on ground and yellow to sensor return key on should have 10.4 volts spin wheel and you will see digital signal that changes frequency with wheel speed.

Comment

• phill57
      • Oct 2007

WSS Tests

Yes I know that, Thanks, I have created a preset for these sensors. If you turn on AC coupling and connect both leads across the sensor, you can see the signal pretty clearly. These systems can be a pain to diagnose. On this vehicle I have a RR sensor fault code yet the signal looks good on both. I ended up connecting the RR sensor to the LR harness connector and vice versa. It then set a fault code for the LR so I'm pretty sure it's a defective sensor. I never tried the ammeter test procedure recommended by Ford though.

Comment

• oaeyeo121003
        • Oct 2010

Hmm, i will have to try that. I tried that on a jag once and it did not work as they are hall effects.

Comment

• USpMD
          • Oct 2010

Originally posted by phill57
          Yes I know that, Thanks, I have created a preset for these sensors. If you turn on AC coupling and connect both leads across the sensor, you can see the signal pretty clearly. These systems can be a pain to diagnose. On this vehicle I have a RR sensor fault code yet the signal looks good on both. I ended up connecting the RR sensor to the LR harness connector and vice versa. It then set a fault code for the LR so I'm pretty sure it's a defective sensor. I never tried the ammeter test procedure recommended by Ford though.
          Good post Phill, this is the way I test these in the field for the last 5 years, very quick way to isolate the causal part, just trim off the connector mating tab and switch left to right
          "I wanna help the helpless, but I could careless about the clueless". Dennis Miller

Comment

Working...