X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

access to diagnostic menues without communicating with car to car

Seeing what scan tool offers in diagnostic menu for a VIN #entered. For example a guy calls the shop and asks if I can program an immobilizer keys on a 2001 Nissan Sentra. I think so but i don't want to waste his time , so he gives me a Vin and I enter it in scan tool and simply browse everything it offers , or better yet a capability search bar then give him an answer .
  • chaskuss
    • Dec 2009

Me too

Originally posted by Witsend
    Seeing what scan tool offers in diagnostic menu for a VIN #entered. For example a guy calls the shop and asks if I can program an immobilizer keys on a 2001 Nissan Sentra. I think so but i don't want to waste his time , so he gives me a Vin and I enter it in scan tool and simply browse everything it offers , or better yet a capability search bar then give him an answer .
    I'll second your request. I'd find that feature very useful myself.

Comment

• Crusty
      • Dec 2007

I'll THIRD that motion here, but it has been discussed before along with the importance of VIN numbers. Not high enough on SnapOns radar to bother with.

Comment

• bustech101
        • Jan 2015

I'll forth your request.

Comment

• David Green
          • Oct 2009

I'll take the fifth place on that one then .

Comment

• maven
            • Mar 2014

+6?
            You should just be able to download the PDF for vehicle line coverage for the software version you're running, and then just look up a feature that way....should...

Comment

• sbreland73
              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by maven
              +6?
              You should just be able to download the PDF for vehicle line coverage for the software version you're running, and then just look up a feature that way....should...

This you can do already. Click the link below to see:

S. Breland

Comment

• maven
                • Mar 2014

Originally posted by sbreland73
                This you can do already. Click the link below to see:

https://www1.snapon.com/display/1068....4AG_FINAL.pdf
                I know, I meant "you should" as in "I believe its currently possible"...not as in SnapOn "should offer this feature in the future".

Comment

• Crusty
                  • Dec 2007

That's a useless chart. Just advertising promotional claiming functionality.
                  Too generic telling someone it has a capability but it does NOT specify WHICH functions are covered.

Sure, plug into a vehicle, look for a SPECIFIC function......how long have they claimed ABS functions yet it's just recent that they've included the Automated Bleed on GM's. (just one example)

"Not Supported"........yet it's highlighted in the charts....

BTDT.

Comment

• Witsend
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2012

Note Quite there , but better than nothing

Think you still have to power up the scan tool and manually enter the vehicle , but for supported modules listed with a star in front ,you click on the star and it brings you to a simple cut to the chase list of special functions the scanner should support without having to communicate with the module beforehand and open other menus.
                    Last edited by Witsend; 01-25-2018, 09:39 PM.

Comment

• Skip
                      Super Moderator
                      • Apr 2008

Something like this?

Share with Snap-on Diagnostics, the additional features that you need or desire in our tools. What do the factory tools do that you absolutely need in your Snap-on tool.

Comment

• Crusty
                        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Skip
                        That link just takes you to another thread discussing the request for several years and more recently both here and IATN.

A customer calls and asks about something, or, you're researching a vehicle scheduled in for another day and "can I do function X....???" We have NO FRIGGEN IDEA whether our equipment is up to the task or not.

Comment

• Witsend
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2012

Chinaman's listening in?

Over 2 and a half years ago since I suggested Snap on have a feature that you can enter a specific car and see if the scanner offers a special function before the car comes to you without hooking up the tool to communicate with the car to access the menus.
                          As a Craigslist bottom feeder I picked up an almost new replacement for my 4year old Hole Filler Port Freight 08 because what I grabbed also had a Jbox that now I can try to install salvage yard ECMs or whatever to cover my @zz for programming end as cheaply as possible, and what do you know, the Chinaman POS offers a way to check it before someone has a Turd towed here that may need to go to the dealer instead.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Tech10
                            • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Witsend
                            As a Craigslist bottom feeder I picked up an almost new replacement for my 4year old Hole Filler Port Freight 08 because what I grabbed also had a Jbox that now I can try to install salvage yard ECMs or whatever to cover my @zz for programming end as cheaply as possible, and what do you know, the Chinaman POS offers a way to check it before someone has a Turd towed here that may need to go to the dealer instead.
                            Lets us know how this jbox works out for you, have you flashed anything with it yet? What software for flashing comes with it?

Comment

• Witsend
                              Banned
                              • Nov 2012

Lets us know how this jbox works out for you, have you flashed anything with it yet? What software for flashing comes with it?
                              No, just bought it from the shop owner this week. He had 2 he sold off Craigslist that were new sitting around 6 months and just got registered and updated a week ago. All his techs just use the OE tools or his new Verus Edge.
                              I haven't tried flashing anything yet with it and not in any particular hurry to see if it will end up turninng a BMW, Mercedes , or VW dash display into Mandarin either from J files downloaded off a Chinese server. It's hard to say why guy bought 2 scanners , just to let them to sit around, but you never know , Maybe the guy got the deal on the Verus Edge works as a consultant with Snappy and the 2 units were only there Covertly being evaluated and reverse engineered by Snappy there, but nothing on mine seems broke on it yet, other than a 2010 Mercedes Benz auto scan of the 35 modules it communicated with, upon reviewing past car history s, it only showed a list of the first 5 codes of that car it had retrieved from a long list of Farfignueggen module codes it actually did pull. It definitely has a cool factor my Port Freight 08 lacked , but time will tell if there will be a Big Fail Factor that is going to erase any Cool factor. One thing I did read is that you now need to add additional micro SD card storage to be able to handle and process huge BMW updates properly if you run any thing else that is using space:
                              Last edited by Witsend; 07-22-2017, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Working...