Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums Diagnostic Home . Diagnostic Product Index . Customer Care        
Diagnostic SoftwareDiagnostic PlatformsAsk-a-Tech, Automotive Repair InformationTech Central
Go Back   Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums > Member General Discussion Forum > General Discussions > US Member User Group
Home Today's Posts Register Members List FAQ
Thank you for visiting Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums.
You are currently NOT logged in to a registered account. Some functions of Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums will not be available to you if your are not logged in as a registered member. For a limited time only, registrationto Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums to Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums is !! FREE !! Select the    **REGISTER NOW**    link to register for your FREE Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums account!!

Old 03-14-2019, 07:57 AM

Witsend Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Quote:
Correct spark plugs and correct torque are needed for proper spark plug indexing. Another member of the forum stated that incorrect indexing can lead to the plug actually being eroded by the high pressure fuel because the injector can spray directly onto the tip of the plug.
Just another thought.
I can remember years ago on a Honda 750 putting a paint mark on the spark plug metal shell lined up where the metal electrode attaches , and the idea was after torquing down the sparkplugs, I did not want to have incoming air fuel blocked by the back of the ground electrodes.
I also remember F'N up and setting the valve lash in thousandths of an inch instead of hundredths of mm and wondering why the engine sounded noisier than normal
Old 03-21-2019, 05:21 PM

Steve6911 You made it!  You've done a great job ofearning reputation from your peers.  You now have secret access to a new hidden forum!

I just got an email from ATS about their new GDI carbon cleaning machine. Not sure of the cost, being itís from ATS Iím sure itís not cheap but their product are always good

https://youtu.be/5F0qvUFFVdM
Old 03-22-2019, 11:11 AM

Matt Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

I checked out ATS's website and they posted an msrp of $4895 for that unit. My shop budget wouldn't include that even if you moved the decimal point over one notch!
Old 03-22-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
I checked out ATS's website and they posted an msrp of $4895 for that unit. My shop budget wouldn't include that even if you moved the decimal point over one notch!
Sounds like the latest Dealership Snake Oil Flush machine service customers will have to learn to Just say No to. I wonder if they have little plastic washers in the bottom of the petroleum distillates for techs to fish out and get a quarter for each one
Old 03-22-2019, 12:37 PM

Steve6911 You made it!  You've done a great job ofearning reputation from your peers.  You now have secret access to a new hidden forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Yeah I checked out the price after posting the link. My shop is not buying it either, price is very steep but like I said their products are always very good. I've looked at a lot of these machines and haven't seen one that worked well yet, but being its from ATS I'm sure this one works.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:28 PM

greasybob You made it!  You've done a great job ofearning reputation from your peers.  You now have secret access to a new hidden forum!

If I read the web site correctly the machine is $2400. The $4800 includes 12 cases of the chemicals, enough to do 48 vehicles at $50 a piece. https://atschemicals.com/calculator.html

I bought the Blue Point injector cleaner years ago. An injection service can be a tough sell as regular maintenance unless your sure it's going to solve a driveability problem and give the customer a noticeable improvement in performance.

I would also be a bit concerned about what codes get set during the cleaning process and what adaptives need to be relearned, fuel composition, fuel trim, etc.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:06 PM

Think if it were my own Turd I would remove the intake manifold and clean the valves , and while the intake is out figure out the best place to stategically drill and tap the runners to thread in and JB weld little vacuum ports at an angle that I could pop off rubber caps and take a look in with a small diameter sewer camera every 30K. Wonder if Suzie Homemaker ever thought of strategic shot of EZ off oven cleaner on the back of the valves to let it soak overnight to soften the deposits , followed by sea foam, then change oil and filter , spark plugs, then a gallon of pure lacquer thinner in the tank to 10 gallons of gas for a quick Cat fix per Scotty K. Maybe Dorman will sell aftermarket intake manifolds with a removable valve port access plates with gaskets
Old 03-29-2019, 07:56 AM

Matt Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Looks like you could get a basic walnut blasting unit and 20 lb of walnut shells for around $300, which is getting closer to my small budget. Anybody have concerns about residual walnut shells stuck in the combustion chamber causing damage?
Old 03-29-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Looks like you could get a basic walnut blasting unit and 20 lb of walnut shells for around $300, which is getting closer to my small budget. Anybody have concerns about residual walnut shells stuck in the combustion chamber causing damage?
When you perform the procedure you do one cylinder at a time on their compression strokes with the plugs removed. If you get the piston to sweet spot at TDC with the rod's big end with no deviation to the left or right, removing the wrench from the crank pulley bolt before putting compressed air to the cylinder , the piston will generally stay at TDC without being forced to bottom, and what little air leakage gets past the valves should prevent the spent media from getting past while working.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:42 AM

Glide Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
The point of using walnut shells is that if a small amount gets in the cylinder it shouldn't cause damage. I take the time to make sure the valves are closed and made an adapter for my shopvac that seals tightly over the intake port to suck out the debris.