X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

P0320 and tach inop on Hyundai /Kia

I had a 2004 Hyundai XG350L with 65K come in yesterday with P0300, P0304, and P0306, P0320(engine speed input malfunction) and P0500 with No speedometer or tach operation.
    Replaced the VSS connector with leads because of a broken wire at connecter and resolved P0500 and got the speedometer working.
    I replaced the 3 coils and 3 plugs on left bank because of white areas at each of the coil centers next to their surrounding metal brackets indicating spark shorting out , and resolved misfire codes. ( due to only 65k and double platinum plugs I did not decide to pull the plenum and replace the other 3 plugs and spark plug cables for the right bank (cylinders, 1,3,5). checked the crank sensor connector and harness in good shape, cleared codes but check engine light came right back with P0320 Engine Speed Input-Malfunction.
    Did a Google search and found a common replaced part for P0320 and an inoperative tachometer on forums was the ignition failure sensor.
    Went to you tube and typed in P0320 Hyundai and found a video of the fix on a 4 banger Hyundai. Watched video while drinking a beer. Verified power and ground wires with DVOM, verified that car will not start with ignition failure sensor disconnected. Decided not to clear a path for the Counselor and instead drove to Auto Zone and bought a Duralast ignition failure sensor that surprisingly was a small OE KIA /Hyundai sensor with a holograph KIA sticker on the clear bag . Looks like the sensor even has a raised Mitsubishi emblem on it. Put the sensor on , tachometer now works, cleared code and shipped.Here is the excellent video I watched
    if you want to scope one and know what to expect between bad and good. Thumbs up to you guys that make these videos.My customer made the call for me not to bother to scope it, and to just slam a new part , but I insisted to at least verify power and ground to it with a DVOM

Last edited by Witsend; 02-26-2015, 12:43 PM.
Working...