Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Enders
    • Jul 2012

PO 420/430 and 332

So last winter I cut out my cats and completely cleaned them out since the computer was telling me they were clogged. I also changed out an ox sensor (bank 2 sensor 1) and everything was good for around 600 miles. Now I'm getting these three codes PO420/430 and 332. I have a code reader and this all the info I can seem to get out of it.

Powertrain Diagnostic Trouble Code Information

MIL DTC

P0420 Catalyst System Low Efficiency (Bank 1)

Stored Codes
    P0332 Knock Sensor Circuit Low Input (Bank 2)
    P0430 Catalyst System Low Efficiency (Bank 2)

Pending Codes
    P0332 Knock Sensor Circuit Low Input (Bank 2)
    P0430 Catalyst System Low Efficiency (Bank 2)

Freeze Frame Infomation

Parameter Description Results

DTC for which Freeze Frame was Stored P0420

Fuel System 1 Status Open Loop - due to driving conditions
    Fuel System 2 Status Open Loop - due to driving conditions
    Calculated LOAD Value 2.35 %
    Engine Coolant Temp 192.20 °F
    Short Term Fuel Trim - Bank 1 0.78 %
    Long Term Fuel Trim - Bank 1 -3.91 %
    Short Term Fuel Trim - Bank 2 0.78 %
    Long Term Fuel Trim - Bank 2 -3.91 %
    Intake Manifold Absolute Pressure 10.96 inHg
    Engine RPM 535.50 rpm
    Vehicle Speed Sensor 0.00 mph
    Air Flow Rate Mass Air Flow Sensor 0.75 lb/min
    Absolute Throttle Position 10.20 %

Monitor Status
    Monitor Name .................................................. ...Status
    MIL (Check Engine Light).......................................ON
    Misfire Monitoring ............................................... Complete
    Fuel System Monitoring ........................................Complete
    Comprehensive Component Monitoring .....................Complete
    Catalyst Monitoring ..............................................Comp lete
    Heated Catalyst Monitoring ...................................Not Supported
    Evaporative System Monitoring ..............................Not completed
    NMHC Monitoring .................................................N ot Supported
    NOxAdsorber Monitoring ........................................Not Supported
    Secondary Air System Monitoring ............................Not Supported
    Oxygen Sensor Monitoring .....................................Complete
    Oxygen Sensor Heater Monitoring ...........................Complete
    EGR System Monitoring .........................................Not Supported
    Boost Pressure System Monitoring ..........................Not Supported
    Exhaust Gas Sensor Monitoring ...............................Not Supported
    PM Filter Monitoring ..............................................Not Supported

I'm not really sure which code I should start with and how to go about fixing this. I'm new to all of this so any help or input would be great. The 420 seems like the main one is it possible another ox sensor is gone?

Steven
  • tecnick
    • May 2012

P0420/p0430 codes are because you cut the cats out.

Those will continue to come back unless you replace them or install foulers.

I would look into the knock sensor code tho. That one is possibly a ballad concern.

Comment

• sbreland73
      • Jan 2009

Steven,
      When you say "cleaned them out" what do you mean exactley? Did you knock all the substrate (honey comb) out and just leave a shell, or did you run soap and water through them? How did the computer tell you the cats were clogged?
      S. Breland

Comment

• sandt38
        • May 2012

Heheheheh... You gutted your cats and you have a cat code?

Replace the cats. End of story.

What kind of car is it? In some cases I will ignore this, as it will not turn on the light. I have replaced knock sensors only to have the code come back in just a few months (with no MIL, of course).

Comment

• Enders
          • Jul 2012

Its a 03 Silverado and ya i cleaned everything out. I never ran any soap or water through them either. Before I cleaned them out I took it into a shop that I trust in town and they said I needed to replace the cats since they were clogged. This was before I got a code reader so I am unsure which codes were indicated.

Strange thing is it ran great for over 600 miles then all of sudden these other codes started showing up. This makes me think they are unrelated, however I'm unsure.

Comment

• sandt38
            • May 2012

I actually saw a clogged cat on a early 2000s Chevy pickup eat 3 engines. The first time it came into the shop it had wiped out the entire right bank of the engine, no compression, so the shop installed a new Jasper engine. While they were warming it up it started missing on the same bank. It wiped out a few cylinders. No compression, so they got another from Jasper. Guess what? Well, Jasper didn't give them another. So I told them to pull the heads off, and it looked like sand in the holes.

The cat had clogged and exploded. Apparently while the engine was running the powdered substrate was getting sucked back in the holes and clogging the rings, and wiping the walls.

Anyways, your cat codes (P0420 and P0430) are quite related to gutting them, which is illegal BTW. The ECM monitors the oxygen entering the cat, then exiting the cat to determine if the cat is completing the burn. In your case it is clearly not completing the burn.

The knock sensor you cannot gut.

Comment

• Enders
              • Jul 2012

I really didn't want to completely gut them but my brother who is a mechanic said hes done it before on three other trucks without any problems. What I wanted to do was poke a hole through them with a bar then drive a few miles with the exhaust off to clean out the broken pieces. But my brother wouldn't listen. Oh well whats done is done.

That's crazy what those cats did to that engine, do you remember how many miles were on that truck?

So I am wondering what affects will there be other then the codes coming up from removing the cones. Is there anything I should be worried about or do I have to put new cats on? The shops around town here wanted $1000-1200 which is what made me just tear them out.

Comment

• sandt38
                • May 2012

It had about 80K IIRC.

$1-1.2K is about right. You should put cats back on it, but I am not going to preach. The biggest issue is that your MIL will stay lit from now on. While it may sound like no big deal you will now have no idea if the light comes on for another, possibly more urgent, reason.

Comment

• Trindaddy
                  • Jan 2010

Ironically, the most urgent of which would be "set" in order to protect the already removed converters, everything else can pretty much be investigated on a symptoms based urgency.

Comment

Working...