Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mt2500
    • Aug 2016

Former Tech, Avid DIYer, Have MT-2500 question

I have the red brick with both the old cartridges (to 99) and almost the latest programmable one, could be 8.something. All I'm missing is the CAN adapter. I drive older Ford cars, and it is fine for my needs right now. I also use Forscan, which is a near dealer level FREE scan tool that works with the cheap OBD adapters. The author is always adding applications.

Brick kit cost me $250, probably paid for itself 10X over. I use it also to bleed fluid every 3-4 years in older cars, and I have no problems.

Anyway there is one application - the 95-02 Continental - I'm having a hard time reading ABS data. Tried it on two cars, and one car had an abs pcm change so that makes three. I was able to do it with FORSCAN(can't read the wheelspeed pids on this application, but that may change), by forcing it in test mode and then swapping the brick when in data mode. Otherwise brick will stay blank or for the old cartridge say not connected. No data read.

It seems that in all versions of the software (old and new cartridge-legacy and softmode) they don't put it into test mode before reading the data. I tried starting the bleed process, disconnecting and reinserting the connector but it times out. Theoretically two mt2500s on a splitter would work.

I know this is old stuff but I'm surprised Snap on would have such an issue. They are supposed to be perfect for what these things used to cost. I sold my original years ago but I paid an ungodly amount for it in the mid 90s. That is one thing I dislike about this field and why I'm out.

Wish there was a way to trigger the tests manually like on forscan. Wonder if the Verus would fail too, may call up an old colleague to test.
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

If some Rabbi hadn't taken off with my d@mn Forescan ages ago , I wonder how much deeper I could be scanning now? Guess I should just be thankful I still get circulation between my ears
    Last edited by Witsend; 08-03-2016, 12:37 PM.

Comment

• mt2500
      • Aug 2016

Originally posted by Witsend
      If some Rabbi hadn't taken off with my d@mn Forescan ages ago , I wonder how much deeper I could be scanning now? Guess I should just be thankful I still get circulation between my ears
      Rabbi(Mohel) took off your FORESKIN, and left you with a RED BRICK! But I don't know what this has to do scanners.

I guess talking about an MT-2500 today makes as much sense as talking about your bris at 8 days old.

Went for inspection today, the guy saw the brick and looked at the version and wanted to give me 400 bucks for it. He said nothing is faster, he sees many older cars and it would save him time over the day. He said it would be used at least 5X a day in his shop.

Comment

• Witsend
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

I think if Brick has European coverage it still could be worth at least $500. don't trade it for an old Solus (does graphing) that you can't buy, sell, swap the software cards between another solus. Solus will become a wheel chock if the CF card gets corrupted.

Comment

• sbreland73
          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by mt2500
          Rabbi(Mohel) took off your FORESKIN, and left you with a RED BRICK! But I don't know what this has to do scanners.

I guess talking about an MT-2500 today makes as much sense as talking about your bris at 8 days old.
          Yeah, that guy is WAY out there, somewhere other than where we are.

Folks that used these devices are getting as scarce as the tool itself, but there are still a few. Given more time, someone may be able to answer your questions.
          S. Breland

Comment

• Joe Rappa
            Snap-on DSD
            • Aug 2007

The only folks that have a prayer of answering a coverage question as specific as that would be tech support. Because that scanner hasn't been supported in so long, I doubt they still have info on it.
            I think you already have your answer though. It was tired on 3 ABS controllers, on 2 cars, and another scanner was able to do it. Sounds like there is a software error for that application on that update.

Joe
            "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
            Henry Ford

Comment

• Witsend
              Banned
              • Nov 2012

Why I love sbreland 73 so much

I guess because his screen name reminds me of the 3 V-65 Hondas I once owned.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                Snap-on DSD
                • Aug 2007

I love the V65 Sabres of that era. I had a CB900F that I rode for 20+ years. I wrecked it hard a couple of times, and put it back together each time. I'd like to find a nice CBX one day.
                Sorry for the hijack mt2500.

Joe
                "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
                Henry Ford

Comment

• Witsend
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2012

My first new bike was a silver 1980 CB750F that I had mounted a silver Vetter Windjammer fairing that probably saved me a broken leg when a gal in a big Olds 98 turned out in front of me. After I got $1300 from my insurance I took off the big ole Windjammer and just tossed on a National Cycle Plexiglass windshield. (The rest of the check I later put a deposit down on a new 82 GS 1100 E, because I couldn't afford the radical looking Katana. Before I traded in the 750F , I pull out of the forest preserve with a buddy on the back after I misplaced the key and came back a little later with spare, and didn't see the cable blocking the lot entrance after the Rangers locked things down.We both Went over the handlebars, popping the plexiglass shield off. The bike was stopped damage free by the cable snapping up across it's head pipes like a aircraft carrier arrester cable, tilting the wooden posts downward , and both of us just laughed it off with a few scapes and bruises After that I usually wore a Helmet and boots

Comment

Working...