X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Smart Phone thermal imager

Thermal Imagers are pretty cool and saw Flir one that plugs into an Android smart phone and uses a downloaded app. Looks like it just plugs directly into the bottom of the phone with an extended usb plug to get past the phone cases. The parasitic camera is small and light enough to stay on by the connection and allow for one handed use plugged into phone bottom but not sure if anything other than the inserted plug holds it to the phone and overtime start stressing the phone connection, so I think a cable and a extendable adjustable thermo selfie stick might be a good accessory if you can do two handed.
  • GypsyR
    • Jul 2017

You want to make sure your phone is new enough to have a "USB-C" connector for this. I've yet to see any from Flir that use the slightly older (and MUCH more prolific) micro USB for Android. If you have an Apple it's probably not an issue.

I really like my older Android phone. That's one reason I'm trying to hold out for a Flir C3. The C3 in particular superimposes a picture from a regular camera on top of the IR image so you get a lot better idea of what exactly you are looking at. If you deal with a Cornwell tool truck, they sell the Flirs.

And since this is a Snap On forum I expect it's worth mentioning that Snap On has a handheld IR camera now that about matches the C3's capabilities and maybe is a bit better. But it's about triple the price. I've heard. I haven't actually seen a retail price yet.

Comment

• Witsend
      Banned
      • Nov 2012

You want to make sure your phone is new enough to have a "USB-C" connector for this. I've yet to see any from Flir that use the slightly older (and MUCH more prolific) micro USB for Android. If you have an Apple it's probably not an issue.

I really like my older Android phone. That's one reason I'm trying to hold out for a Flir C3. The C3 in particular superimposes a picture from a regular camera on top of the IR image so you get a lot better idea of what exactly you are looking at. If you deal with a Cornwell tool truck, they sell the Flirs.

And since this is a Snap On forum I expect it's worth mentioning that Snap On has a handheld IR camera now that about matches the C3's capabilities and maybe is a bit better. But it's about triple the price. I've heard. I haven't actually seen a retail price yet.
      Pretty sure they have Micro USB model as well as for IOS phones. Some of the reviews had bad reviews, claiming short battery life and app stopped working for 3 weeks after phone was updated to Turd Plum Pi or something like that.
      Kinda thought the handheld Snap On one had a center spot that actually display temperature in farenheit or Celsius off to the side that I didn't notice on the IR parasitic phone camera.
      My bet is when The Zeus Pro is released, that just below the scope module there will be a molded guide track or clip mount on the case back for an optional modified version of the Parasitic IR phone camera.

Comment

• GypsyR
        • Jul 2017

I looked a bit more and Witsend seems to be right, they do have one for micro USB. I think. It says so but info on their website is surprisingly sketchy. The Flir One (for USB-C) only works on a short list of Android phones. Then they say something about The Flir One Pro works with a micro USB. Or USB-C. But it's not clear exactly how. You use an adapter with one connection or the other I think.
        In any case, if anyone's shopping for one of these "parisitic" versions it would appear the you really want to call and ask if the version you are interested in will for sure work on whatever phone you have before you come off any money.

Comment

Working...