Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums Diagnostic Home . Diagnostic Product Index . Customer Care        
Diagnostic SoftwareDiagnostic PlatformsAsk-a-Tech, Automotive Repair InformationTech Central
Go Back   Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums > Snap-on Diagnostic Products > Diagnostic Platforms > Solus/SOLUS PRO User Forum
Home Today's Posts Register Members List FAQ
Thank you for visiting Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums.
You are currently NOT logged in to a registered account. Some functions of Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums will not be available to you if your are not logged in as a registered member. For a limited time only, registrationto Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums to Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums is !! FREE !! Select the    **REGISTER NOW**    link to register for your FREE Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums account!!

Old 04-25-2018, 09:54 PM

knightsam Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Default Jeep Wrangler replacement PCM VIN change

Hi all,
Forgive me for starting a new thread here. Iíve done some research and read conflicting things on threads in this board (perhaps because the functionality of Snap On tools has changed over the years?) and was hoping to get some advice from someone here!

Iím close to tears trying to get this car back on the road (details below). Any tips would be extremely welcome.

Car:
Jeep Wrangler 4.0, Manual, 2001.
Manufactured in USA and exported to Australia.

Issue:
ē Original PCM was damaged (by myself) when trying to open it up to see if it had any obvious circuit board faults.
ē Replacement PCM was bought from breakers yard. Exact same model number.
ē Car will start and then die after 2 seconds due to a SKIM issue (engine code: p1685 SKIM invalid)
ē I am lead to believe that I must change the VIN on the replacement PCM to my carís original VIN. 1st question: is this true? Would this fix my issue?
ē I am also lead to believe that a Snap On Solus Pro will have the functionality (VIN read/write) that I require. 2nd question: is this true?
ē I have found someone selling a Snap On Solus Pro in my city (Sydney, Australia). The seller tells me it is compatible with Australian and American cars. I am considering buying it, fixing the SKIM issue, and keeping it in my garage to use as a diagnostic tool. 3rd question: is this recommended?

Thanks in advance,

Sam
Old 04-26-2018, 04:10 AM

greasybob You made it!  You've done a great job ofearning reputation from your peers.  You now have secret access to a new hidden forum!

I have not seen a VIN erase and rewrite function for Chrysler products in any Snap On scan tools. I use the SKIM and VIN rewrite functions that are part of the Pass Thru Pro III J2534 computer software tool box. And even then it's not always 100% successful.
Old 04-26-2018, 05:25 AM

tech25 Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Hello and welcome,

I looked at my solus ultra with 18.2 update and have attached screen shots of what can be done, it appears you can you only read the vin in the engine,

and there is a skim module you can also access but the only function in there is to "reset" it, not sure what that does.

not a lot of help but hopefully if answers what the snap on can do, at least here in the USA.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp 42608002.BMP (750.3 KB, 37 views)
File Type: bmp 42608001.BMP (750.3 KB, 37 views)
Old 04-26-2018, 05:47 AM

BRIAN617 Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

You can write a VIN to a NEW/Reman blank ECM with SnapOn scanner, If a VIN is already stored in the ECM/PCM you can only read it not erase. Also, rewriting the VIN will not cure the anti theft issue. If you want to use a used ECM/PCM you'll have to find one without security enabled. I've had luck with having an ECM/PCM rebuilder both erasing VIN and disabling anti theft on a used unit.
Old 04-26-2018, 05:54 AM

longhungsilver Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Is the vehicle key grey? That is a skim key. Iím asking because if your vehicle uses a black key you are in a world of trouble. Plugging in a used pcm that has skim (if your vehicle doesnít) can turn the body module into a skim enabled vehicle and you canít erase that. So you will need a skim module and a compatible scanner to program and learn the skim code.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:25 AM

knightsam Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasybob View Post
I have not seen a VIN erase and rewrite function for Chrysler products in any Snap On scan tools. I use the SKIM and VIN rewrite functions that are part of the Pass Thru Pro III J2534 computer software tool box. And even then it's not always 100% successful.
Thanks very much for the info! Sounds like I would need to find someone in my city with a Pass Thru Pro III.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech25 View Post
Hello and welcome,

I looked at my solus ultra with 18.2 update and have attached screen shots of what can be done, it appears you can you only read the vin in the engine,

and there is a skim module you can also access but the only function in there is to "reset" it, not sure what that does.

not a lot of help but hopefully if answers what the snap on can do, at least here in the USA.
Thanks very much for taking the time to upload the screen shots mate. I'd be interested to try the "SKIM reset" function. Would anyone here take a guess at if resetting the SKIM on the PCM might help me? I'm wondering if this would allow me to plug the SKIM module back in and it would pair up to the new ECM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRIAN617 View Post
You can write a VIN to a NEW/Reman blank ECM with SnapOn scanner, If a VIN is already stored in the ECM/PCM you can only read it not erase. Also, rewriting the VIN will not cure the anti theft issue. If you want to use a used ECM/PCM you'll have to find one without security enabled. I've had luck with having an ECM/PCM rebuilder both erasing VIN and disabling anti theft on a used unit.
Thanks for your help mate. If I get to a real roadblock with this replacement PCM then I may have to get on the hunt for a compatible PCM without security.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhungsilver View Post
Is the vehicle key grey? That is a skim key. Iím asking because if your vehicle uses a black key you are in a world of trouble. Plugging in a used pcm that has skim (if your vehicle doesnít) can turn the body module into a skim enabled vehicle and you canít erase that. So you will need a skim module and a compatible scanner to program and learn the skim code.
My car has grey keys. So I think I might be alright here! Thanks!
Old 04-26-2018, 06:33 AM

Witsend Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Any chance the Wrangler you got the ECM from , still has the steering column with keys, you can get the key cylinder, keys , SKIM module (Key Transponder ring module assembly from ?

Last edited by Witsend; 04-26-2018 at 07:04 AM..
Old 04-26-2018, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witsend View Post
Any chance the Wrangler you got the ECM from , still has the steering column with keys, you can get the key cylinder, keys , SKIM module (Key Transponder ring module assembly?
Hey, I did try this and unfortunately they no longer have these parts from the same car!

I'm starting to wonder if I should try the "SKIM reset" function on the SnapOn Solus Pro as shown by tech25...
Old 04-26-2018, 06:42 AM

ToltecasChavez Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

You can do it with an Autel, Launch or a Pass thru Device. Any of those will work. If the computer is used, just write ur VIN into the used PCM, Turn car off then on. Start car. Simple as that. It's so simple anyone can do it. Specially since it's an older model. Good luck!
Old 04-26-2018, 06:45 AM

tech25 Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

hey, i attached a flow chart for this code.

it states possible cause number 1 is the vin is not written to the pcm.

i do not think the snap on can write the vin for this car. however other scan tools, or passthru may.

make sure to read the attachment.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf P1685 flow chart.pdf (90.7 KB, 4 views)