Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums Diagnostic Home . Diagnostic Product Index . Customer Care        
Diagnostic SoftwareDiagnostic PlatformsAsk-a-Tech, Automotive Repair InformationTech Central
Go Back   Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums > Snap-on Diagnostic Products > Diagnostic Platforms > Scanner Capabilities
Home Today's Posts Register Members List FAQ
Thank you for visiting Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums.
You are currently NOT logged in to a registered account. Some functions of Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums will not be available to you if your are not logged in as a registered member. For a limited time only, registrationto Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums to Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums is !! FREE !! Select the    **REGISTER NOW**    link to register for your FREE Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums account!!

Old 06-13-2018, 11:06 AM

PLohr Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Default MT2500 service fast learn adapt on 6L80 trans

Hello,
Is the MT2500 (with the right cartridges) capable of performing the 'service fast learn adapt' (relearn) on a GM 6L80 transmission? If it can, would you mind telling me which cartridge is needed? This is on a 2008 GMC Yukon XL.

If the MT2500 can't do it, what is the next scanner up the line that can do this? I am hoping to find a scanner that is not too expensive which can handle relearns.

Thank you for any help.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:27 AM

ToltecasChavez Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

What has been done to the car? If you replaced the transmission or module or PCM if it's integrated, then you will need to reprogram it if it gives you a DTC about it and then do a tranny quick relearn. But if it's only a relearn you need to do. Almost any tool that's out right now can do this. Autel, Mac, Snap-On, Launch, Etc. Should be in special functions or tests. Not sure about that old tool you just posted. Have never used it so I can't comment on it. Good Luck!
Old 06-13-2018, 11:33 AM
Snap-on DSD

Joe Rappa Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

A Trans Adapt Reset can be performed with any Snap-on scanner that works on that year vehicle. The MT2500 is not one of them. Sales of that scanner stopped around 1998, and it was updated for another 6 years or so after that. It won't cover your truck.
Because you had to wait 12-18 months after a vehicle was released to get scanner coverage, you should probably stick with any scanner that is updated past 10.2 Software Release.
Those scanners would include:
Solus Pro
Modis
Ethos Pro
Ethos Tech
Ethos Edge
Solus Ultra
Solus Edge
Modis Ultra
Modis Edge
Any Verus Scanner

If you're a tech and plan to scan vehicles regularly, the Ethos Pro, Tech and Edge are great deals.

Joe
Old 06-13-2018, 11:34 AM

BRIAN617 Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLohr View Post
Hello,
Is the MT2500 (with the right cartridges) capable of performing the 'service fast learn adapt' (relearn) on a GM 6L80 transmission? If it can, would you mind telling me which cartridge is needed? This is on a 2008 GMC Yukon XL.

If the MT2500 can't do it, what is the next scanner up the line that can do this? I am hoping to find a scanner that is not too expensive which can handle relearns.

Thank you for any help.
I doubt the MT2500 ever got updated far enough to cover those trans. Our old Modis would do them that's was updated to 14 or so.

Funny thing is once you get into to, I wanna say 11-12 models, there is no longer that function.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:33 PM

Witsend Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Kind of thought my MT2500 surprised me and it offered Quick learn for older Chrysler 4 speed, if not it was my flakey old Solus that I sold off and still have the MT2500 to deal with OBD1 and some older OBD2

Last edited by Witsend; 06-13-2018 at 06:20 PM..
Old 06-22-2018, 03:09 AM

PLohr Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Thank you, guys, for your help. This is great. Version 10.2...I will keep that in mind.

Will the regular Solus (not the Pro version) or regular Ethos (not Pro) do the transmission relearn procedure? Assuming the bundle is 10.2 or newer.

To answer the question, 'what has been done to the transmission?':
It started with a torque converter clutch failure. I had to replace most of the pump components. Vacuum testing the valve body and pump valves showed that only a few are very slightly leaky. Even so, I am going to put the Sonnax Zip Kit in since it is apart. Pretty sure I will need to run the relearn procedure after it is all back together. Still interested to hear what you think.

Have a nice weekend.

Last edited by PLohr; 06-22-2018 at 03:34 AM..
Old 06-22-2018, 08:52 AM

Witsend Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Quote:
I doubt the MT2500 ever got updated far enough to cover those trans. Our old Modis would do them that's was updated to 14 or so.

Funny thing is once you get into to, I wanna say 11-12 models, there is no longer that function.
Strange the function disappeared for the newer models. Never heard the saying You can't teach a New Dog old tricks. Could it be that Snappy's legal department told the engineers to take the function away for fear of Culpability Witch hunt for something that caused faulty transmissions to puke, and blame it on some Quick learn procedure the tool once offered
Old 06-22-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRIAN617 View Post

Does this mean that the Modis scanners with a bundle version of 11, 12 or higher won't perform a transmission relearn?

Thanks for any help.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:03 PM

BRIAN617 Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLohr View Post
Does this mean that the Modis scanners with a bundle version of 11, 12 or higher won't perform a transmission relearn?

Thanks for any help.
After a certain year model, I was guessing 2011-2012, (6L or 6T trans platforms) there is no quick learn function, only adapt resets. The software version is not the culprit, its the year model of the vehicle.
Old 06-29-2018, 03:46 AM

Understood, Brian. Thank you for clearing that up.

I noticed that the list of scanners provided by Joe Rappa leaves out the regular Ethos scanner.

This post also indicates that the regular Ethos is not able to perform a transmission relearn process:
http://productforum.autorepairdata.c...ead.php?t=8251

You are welcome to correct me if this is incorrect.