Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tenfooter
    • Apr 2007

Evap system seal

I would love to see every manufacturer that offers the Evap system seal function have the corresponding function available in Solus/Modis/Verus scanner software. I am no longer in the independent side of the business ,but I do know that more often than any other code, Evap codes are turning on the MIL. This is one test that makes diagnosing these codes go much faster.
  • Joe Rappa
    Snap-on DSD
    • Aug 2007

That coverage is there for an awful lot of cars right now. If there is a specific car, or car line that doesn't have it, please post it here.
    I know it would be nice to do on Subarus for example. There is no Vent Valve Functional Tests on them, and Global OBDII Service Mode $08 doesn't work because they are not OBDII compliant.

Joe
    "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
    Henry Ford

Comment

• joenash
      • Jan 2009

test

I have been doing evap monitor test on dodge/ chrysler cars. I know other cars you can make the solinoid work but it don't tell you if you have a evap leak, I know on toyota you can do a check test, I think that test all sensors conected to computer? So far I have not fixed a dodge / chrysler product for an evap leak and had any problems, It is a shame I see a lot of cars come in the shop from other garages and they put a gas cap on it and they still have problems, I use the smoke machine and it helps a lot.
      Any body else know of any other test on other cars?
      JOENASH

Comment

• Joe Rappa
        Snap-on DSD
        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by joenash
        I have been doing evap monitor test on dodge/ chrysler cars. I know other cars you can make the solinoid work but it don't tell you if you have a evap leak, I know on toyota you can do a check test, I think that test all sensors conected to computer? So far I have not fixed a dodge / chrysler product for an evap leak and had any problems, It is a shame I see a lot of cars come in the shop from other garages and they put a gas cap on it and they still have problems, I use the smoke machine and it helps a lot.
        Any body else know of any other test on other cars?
        Hi Joe,
        Thanks for the reply. Be careful using the EVAP System Test to verify that you fixed a leak. They can only find leaks that are bigger than .040" when you command the test with your scanner. No system out there runs a .020" leak test except when the monitor runs naturally. The only exception to this rule is Hondas. They can find a .020" leak just fine when you command the monitor to run.

Joe
        Henry Ford

Comment

• sdlindsey
          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Joe Rappa
          Hi Joe,
          Thanks for the reply. Be careful using the EVAP System Test to verify that you fixed a leak. They can only find leaks that are bigger than .040" when you command the test with your scanner. No system out there runs a .020" leak test except when the monitor runs naturally. The only exception to this rule is Hondas. They can find a .020" leak just fine when you command the monitor to run.
          Do you feel that extends to the Chrysler "Force EVAP Monitor" Test as well?

Comment

• tenfooter
            • Apr 2007

How about Nissan? The Star scan Nor Drb III won't do a small leak test on forced monitor just medium and large leak according to dealer connect.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
              Snap-on DSD
              • Aug 2007

Originally posted by sdlindsey
              Do you feel that extends to the Chrysler "Force EVAP Monitor" Test as well?
              Definitely true with Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep. They were the first ones I noticed it on. Since then me and a couple of other guys have tested most every car that has the test capabilities. Nobody but Honda can find a .030" leak when running a leak chack. They find it just fine if you let the Monitor run naturally though.

Joe
              Henry Ford

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                Snap-on DSD
                • Aug 2007

Originally posted by tenfooter
                How about Nissan? The Star scan Nor Drb III won't do a small leak test on forced monitor just medium and large leak according to dealer connect.
                I haven't checked Nissans myself because I don't have a scanner available to me that will for the EVAP Leak Check on one. Does anyone happen to know if the OEM Nissan Scanner will do it?

Joe
                Henry Ford

Comment

• tenfooter
                  • Apr 2007

Consult 2 and 3 both have it in work support section.

Comment

• tenfooter
                    • Apr 2007

There is also a forced monitor test in the DTC/SRT confirmation test section.

Comment

• tenfooter
                      • Apr 2007

My point is to do smoke/pressure decay testing not to force monitors I have no need to force the evap monitor except on Mopar vehicles with NVLD.
                      Any vehicle that uses canister purge and vent solenoids along with a pressure sensor should have facility to close both the vent and purge to allow smoke testing (This would be a good standard) .

Comment

Working...