Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Matt
    • Dec 2008

Invalid file

I was able to capture a healthy crank sensor waveform image on my Verus D10 during a diagnostic session the other day. I wanted to upload this image into Sure Tracks graph library. When I choose any file that I have saved in my D10, Sure Track prevents me from being able to upload, giving me a message that my saved files are invalid. Please advise. Thank you.
  • Nick_Taylor
    Administrator
    • Jan 2014

You need to convert it to a .bmp, .gif, .jpeg, .jpg, or .png format.

Here is more information - http://m1training.net/get2know/suret...wcanIaddaGraph
    SureTrack Community Administrator, Diagnostics forum Administrator.

Comment

• Matt
      • Dec 2008

Thanks Nick. I'll give it a try.

Comment

• Nick_Taylor
        Administrator
        • Jan 2014

Here is some additional information from Snap-on.

If he saved a screen on the Verus using the S button, it would already be in a supported format (jpg).

Since he got the invalid file message, it is possible he saved a scope movie file (.vsm), not an image file.

If that was the case, he would have to load the file in his data manager on the Verus, navigate to the data he wanted to upload, then make a screen capture.

Comment

• Matt
          • Dec 2008

I did not save this specific image as a movie (.vsm). It was saved as a single frame image while in the guided component test feature. The D10 identified this file with a VSS. I haven't had much luck turning this image into an acceptable file. Any step by step tips would be of great help. Thank you.

Comment

• Nick_Taylor
            Administrator
            • Jan 2014

Do you have the file on your computer? If so, are you using ShopStream Connect to view it? If so, you can view it and then take a screenshot of it by using the PrtScn button on your keyboard. Then you can paste that from the clipboard into a new image in your computer's graphic program. Probably Paint. Then save it as a .png or .jpg file to upload.

Another good graphics program that is free and easy to use is available at www.getpaint.net.

Comment

• Matt
              • Dec 2008

The files are on my D10. Is it easier to transfer these files from my D10 to my desk top computer and then convert them to an acceptable format, or is there a more direct route to upload these files straight from the Verus D10 to Sure Track???

Comment

• Nick_Taylor
                Administrator
                • Jan 2014

On your Verus, you can take a screen shot any time by hitting the "S" button above the 5-way control on the right. This saves a graphic file of the currently displayed screen. You can then start up SureTrack on the Verus, either from the diagnostic suite or by going to www.askatech.com in the browser. Then go to the Add Graph page and choose the file from the storage on the Verus. the default path is going to be as follows:

Desktop\My Documents\ShopStream\Screenshots

The files are named starting with the date such as 20141217. Select the one you want to add then fill out the rest of the required info.

You can also hook up the Verus to your computer with the USB cable to copy these files.

Most of the newer Snap-on scan tools have this screen shot function with the "S" button. Some have a different button that can be configured to take screen shots. Consult your tool's user guide to find out.

Let me know if this works for you.

Comment

• Matt
                  • Dec 2008

It worked great! I never knew that's what the "S" button was for LOL! I'm gonna upload more graphs now. Super easy. Thank you for your patience Nick.
                  Last edited by Matt; 12-17-2014, 01:42 PM.

Comment

• Nick_Taylor
                    Administrator
                    • Jan 2014

Good deal Matt. I'm going to be updating the FAQ with more instructions for this.

Comment

• Rich Shepherd
                      Snap-on D&I
                      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Matt
                      I did not save this specific image as a movie (.vsm). It was saved as a single frame image while in the guided component test feature. The D10 identified this file with a VSS. I haven't had much luck turning this image into an acceptable file. Any step by step tips would be of great help. Thank you.
                      Matt,
                      Some more information.
                      The .vss file is not an image file. It is a data file just like the .vsm.
                      That is why you had to open it in the Data Manager and use the S button to capture a screen image.
                      The .vsm file contains all the data that was captured in the scope buffer when you saved it (Save All frames). The .vss file contains just the data that was displayed on the screen when you saved it (Save Single frame), but it is still a data file, not an image file like a .jpg is.
                      Both of these data files have to be viewed in the Data Manager on the tool or with ShopStream Connect on a PC as they can't be opened with an image viewer program such as MS Paint.
                      When you save data, if everything is on the screen you want to keep for future use, you can save just that data using "Save Single frame".
                      If there are points of interest before or after that point in the data, you can save all the data captured for future review. If you want to share an image of the screen, use the S button. For future reference, you may want to save the Movie (All frames) and then use the S button to make a screen capture of the specific screen you want. Sometimes you find later that there was something interesting you didn't originally see so having saved the whole movie has some advantages. On the other hand if one screen has everything you need to save, when you open it at a future time, you won't have to go looking thru a whole movie. Another advantage of saving the data (.vss or .vsm file) is that you can name the file when you save it and can add notes for later so you can remember what the file was saved for. Those notes can also be viewed with SSC too

Comment

• chaskuss
                        • Dec 2009

Rich,
                        Thanks for the great explanation. We all work better when we understand what's happening "behind the curtain".

Comment

• Crusty
                          • Dec 2007

RICH is REALLY, REALLY GOOD at understanding OUR needs when saving files for future reference-!!!!

Shop Stream Connect has made huge improvements under his tutelage.

ALL my saved files are on multiple computers and SSC is also on all those computers too.

SSC is a FANTASTIC program and anyone who doesn't have it should have their heads read-!!! LMAO.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP RICH-!!

Comment

• Nick_Taylor
                            Administrator
                            • Jan 2014

Here is the page for ShopStream Connect

The download link is on the right side of the page there.

Comment

• diesel71
                              • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Crusty
                              RICH is REALLY, REALLY GOOD at understanding OUR needs when saving files for future reference-!!!!

Shop Stream Connect has made huge improvements under his tutelage.

ALL my saved files are on multiple computers and SSC is also on all those computers too.

SSC is a FANTASTIC program and anyone who doesn't have it should have their heads read-!!! LMAO.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP RICH-!!
                              agreed thank you rich

Comment

Working...