Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • diesel71
    • Feb 2008

beware of ford bcm"s

I just wanted to warn anyone who tries to program body control modules using fords IDS on certain newer fords that you will not be able to access the security part without a password from nastf. to get the password you have to be a licensed locksmith. you can program the bcm but can not reset the parameter or program the keys leaving the vehicle in a no start condition. wouldn't it be nice to know this before we did the job?. I have programed several in the past with no issues and had no knowledge that this was even an issue. from what I have researched this is only on certain models and there no list of what ones you can or can not program even using the oem ids tool.
  • ToltecasChavez
    • Apr 2011

To Clarify, can the BCM be flashed? Or do you mean, after flashing the BCM, you have to do antitheft and it won't let you without getting the PIN? Because if you can program the BCM and all it needs after is to add keys, then any generic tool can do that. But if during the flashing process you MUST provide a PIN to finish flashing the BCM, then this tip is worth noting.

Comment

• diesel71
      • Feb 2008

Originally posted by ToltecasChavez
      To Clarify, can the BCM be flashed? Or do you mean, after flashing the BCM, you have to do antitheft and it won't let you without getting the PIN? Because if you can program the BCM and all it needs after is to add keys, then any generic tool can do that. But if during the flashing process you MUST provide a PIN to finish flashing the BCM, then this tip is worth noting.
      the experience I had was on a 2017 f-450 ambulance so others might be different.
      yes you can flash the new bcm. on this vehicle after flashing it required to have the parameters reset and 2 keys programed into the bcm. at this point you need to gain security access and needed the password/pin.
      im not sure if using a generic tool after the flash would work. the parameter reset is in the antitheft part and to my knowledge without resetting that it wont let you program new keys. I could be wrong.

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
        • Apr 2011

Most likely it's a bladed key. What I can say is that I have seen parameter reset option and Lost Keys Option on my tool. For that car it shows me the all lost keys option. Not sure if all lost keys would work, but I don't see parameter reset option. Maybe after doing the 10 minute security access, the parameter reset option appears? Without the car here, I can't know for sure. :/ Still, great tip. I'll keep it in mind if I ever run into one.

Comment

• greasybob
          • May 2008

If you look in the BCM menu under security there is a parameter that identifies the the key learn method as either "timed" or "password". I may not be correct on the terminology (it may vary) here but the timed method can be programmed without a password so you should be able to determine if you can perform the learn without a LSID license

Comment

• greasybob
            • May 2008

The PID is "Security Access Type" TIMED or CODED.

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
              • Apr 2011

Awesome Tips Bob.

Comment

• diesel71
                • Feb 2008

thanks for the tips. unfortunately I could not exercise all my options, this was an ambulance and had to get it going asap. next one I get ill investigate deeper.

Comment

• bestdamgarage
                  • Apr 2016

I dont know about something that new but some aftermarket scanners will do parameter reset and key learn.I have been getting around it that way.

Comment

• Steve6911
                    • Feb 2007

Hey Paul

I saw this on the Ford Website

Not sure if one of the vehicles listed was the one you were working on. See if this helps you out for the future

Steve

Comment

• diesel71
                      • Feb 2008

thanks steve, ill read threw that

Comment

Working...