Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cpe_efi
    • Jul 2018

2006 Wrangler 4.0 : Cam & Crank Pos Corr Relearn

I have a PassThru Pro II and would like to know if it is possible to do the "Cam & Crank Position Correlation Relearn" procedure on a 2006 Jeep Wrangler 4.0(S) L6 engine?

Currently seeing DTC P0016 being set due to this issue. I know that the Jeep/Mopar dealers can use their DRB on Jeeps to affect a Relearn in the PCM when the Oil Pump Drive Assembly (OPDA) has been replaced or the engine rebuilt. In this situation, the engine was rebuilt and the OPDA was replaced. I have gone through the whole realignment process, so I am ready now to perform the relearn procedure! I am hoping that I can do this with my PTP II.
  • tech25
    • Oct 2017

I do not see this procedure anywhere for this vehicle. are you POSITIVE this can be done on this exact make and model and year?

this fault code only suggest that the engine is out of time mechanically or there is a problem with the sensor or electrical problem with the harness.

I have attached a diagnostic sheet you should go through, note....look at the possible causes. not one says the procedure is the cause. double note....since it was just rebuilt.. i would suspect timing is off.
    Attached Files

Comment

• cpe_efi
      • Jul 2018

I appreciate the detailed analysis and resolution instructions you have provided.
      I am just following the factory shop manual instructions and have attached a copy of those instructions for the mechanical realignment process. At the end it states to do the Cam/Crank Relearn with the DBR tool. So according to Dodge/Jeep, it kind of looks like it should definitely be done.

I should state that since I did the full mechanical alignment procedure, the P0016 hasn't resurfaced. I haven't seen it come back. But right now I'm a bit gun-shy about releasing the vehicle back to the customer without the Relearn being done.

When I got the Jeep to work on, the Cam Pos Sensor (in the UPDA) was more that 10 degrees Advanced with respect to the trigger wheel. I got everything lined up dead-on with TDC on the crank, so I know that this is now correct. The customer had taken the vehicle to several shops and they supposedly did the alignment and according to him, the relearn process as well, all to no avail. I can tell you, they did not take the time to dial it in mechanically!

Thanks again for your help!
      Attached Files

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
        • Apr 2011

Short answer, no. No Passthru device can do this. That option would be on a scanner. Snap-on, Autel, Launch, etc. I have seen it on my scanner, but not sure if 2006 would have it. I'm almost certain it should. If you don't have a scanner, try to borrow one. Good luck!

Comment

• cpe_efi
          • Jul 2018

Thank you. I have an Autel AL519 Scan Tool, and even though it has a lot more functionality than your basic Scan Tool, it did not have any Special Function features available for this 06 Jeep (which BTW does have CAN bus architecture).

Can you recommend a couple of Scan Tools (Snap-on, Autel, Launch, etc.) that could provide this kind of functionality? Even a used DRBIII goes for around $3000, and I would certainly like to cut that cost down substantially.

I can already read/write the PCM with my Tuning Software and have gotten great results already with my custom tuning on this Jeep, so I really don't need all the other bells & whistles (right now at least) to perform that kind of functionality. The Jeep would be running excellent (much better than stock) if it weren't for the Cam/Crank Relearn issue!

Thanks for your help.

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
            • Apr 2011

None of my Snap-on tools have that option for a 2006 wrangler. Engine changes after 2007. I have a launch tool, but cannot see any special functions on it since it needs to be connected to a car. But Autel and launch are almost the same. So I'm gonna say that this car either doesn't have the option or it's an OEM tool only. If I had this car in the shop, I would check it with my launch tool. I recently updated the tool to the newest model, the Launch Torque. Tech25 seems to be right.

Comment

• bestdamgarage
              • Apr 2016

If you can veiw data look for the cam crank sync pid see what it says.

Comment

• cpe_efi
                • Jul 2018

The shop needed to get the Jeep back, so they said they would do the Cam/Crank Relearn procedure. When I do get another 2005-06 Jeep 4.0 to work on again, I will look for the Cam/Crank Sync PID. Hopefully, by then I'll have some kind of Scan Tool that will allow me to do the Relearn myself.

It's just the kind of issue that needs to be done every once in a while, so I can't see tying up $3000+ on buying a DRBIII, when I might use it only a few times each year. I'm all for a cheaper alternative!!

Thanks for your suggestion about the PID.

Comment

• BRIAN617
                  • Dec 2016

Originally posted by cpe_efi
                  The shop needed to get the Jeep back, so they said they would do the Cam/Crank Relearn procedure. When I do get another 2005-06 Jeep 4.0 to work on again, I will look for the Cam/Crank Sync PID. Hopefully, by then I'll have some kind of Scan Tool that will allow me to do the Relearn myself.

It's just the kind of issue that needs to be done every once in a while, so I can't see tying up $3000+ on buying a DRBIII, when I might use it only a few times each year. I'm all for a cheaper alternative!!

Thanks for your suggestion about the PID.
                  I'm late to this conversation, however there is no cam crank "relearn" for this vehicle. Syncing the cam sensor is done via a function in the scanner. And that is all that is needed.

The scanner will put the PCM in a mode and display the value of offset in degrees + or - of center. Turn the cam sensor housing to acheive 0* offset.

Comment

• cpe_efi
                    • Jul 2018

Thanks Brian. That actually makes a lot of sense! GM did the same thing with their 1996-2001 Vortec V6 & V8 engines, to rotate the CMP Sensor housing (looks like the distributor) in the rear of the intake manifold. I have done that many times working on the Vortec engines and I'm quite familiar with the process.

I will do that next time. Thanks again!

Comment

• tech25
                      • Oct 2017

only problem with this....you are now talking about GM..
                      for instance.. when i put a 2000 chevy tahoe in my snap on solus, with a vortec these are the various functions one can do, notice...ckp relearn is one.

now, compare that to the tech2win with the same vehicle. we can see crankshaft relearn is offered as a option.

however. with the jeep entered in the solus, no options are given. I still question if this is even possible on this exact year and model. if it is. then we need to get it added to the snap on tool
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Witsend
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2012

But does the DRB3 or Star Mobile list some Crank Shaft Position Sensor Relearn or use some other name like PistonTo Camshaft offset compensation(different terminology?)
                        Last edited by Witsend; 08-09-2018, 10:23 PM.

Comment

• tech25
                          • Oct 2017

I dont know, i do not own any of those tools so i cant confirm. maybe someone here does and can input this vehicle and check??

Comment

• Glide
                            • Jan 2015

Here are the last few steps for cam sensor replacement on this vehicle.Note the last two steps.

7. Install CMP sensor to oil pump drive.
                            8. Install sensor mounting bolt and tighten to N.m (15 in. lbs.) torque.
                            9. Connect CMP electrical connector to engine wiring harness.
                            10. If removed, install spark plug and ignition rail.
                            11. Connect DRB scan tool to data link connector. The data link connector is located in passenger compartment, below steering column.
                            12. Gain access to CAM/CRANK RELEARN screen on DRB scan tool

Comment

• tech25
                              • Oct 2017

it appears to be correct. why on earth jeep decided to check cam timing by the oil pump is beyond me. unless this is a old engine and this is kinda a retrofit to add cam timing, cheaper than re-designing the cylinder head. and also, why its not on the snap on scan tool too?

Comment

Working...