Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DIESEL-WORX
    • Feb 2015

Verdict, Verus, or Something else?

My brother and I are planning to open a small diesel repair shop, he has been a Ford certified diesel technician for 8 years, and I have been for 3 years. We are deciding on the first scanner to purchase, we are very familiar with the IDS, and have never used a snap-on scan tool long enough to form an honest opinion of them. We work on primarily Powerstroke, but we do have a large fleet clientele and several of the companys also have Dodge and Chevy vehicles. We'd like to start out with a scan tool that can handle all the big brands. We just got a Verdict from our snap-on rep to demo for a few days, I haven't had much time to play with it yet.

I understand I will not be able to install module updates with the Verdict or Verus, but will I be able to do a PMI? For instance when you replace a 6.0 Ficm suck the information out and put it in the new Ficm? Will either scanner be able to make IQA code changes for 6.7 injectors?

When talking Verus .vs Verdict, is the Verus faster when processing applications? I've noticed loading web pages and applications on the verdict seems fairly slow in relation to a laptop.

I haven't been able to find the average price of these scanners online. The price we were given for the Verdict D7 was $4,300 after a snap-on rebate, is that a fair price for the Verdict? I'm planning on requesting a price on the Verus Pro this afternoon.
  • maven
    • Mar 2014

If youre going to specialize in PS, Id get A VCM2 and subscribe to IDS. Theres NO WAY I would leave my dealership to open a specialty shop and not bring an MDI and Tis2Web

Get yourself a Solus Ultra for non Ford scan tool needs, or a used Verus if you can find one cheap as the big screen is AWESOME to have.

Solus Edge/Modis Ultra are the best scan tools, being faster than everything else and having nice screens. But a Solus Ultra is only a little slower and displays the same info on the screen as the the Edge/MU do, even with the nice 8" screens these two only grpah 4 pids at once. Thats the main reason why the Verus is awesome, so mch more usable data on screen at once. I think t can be worth the difference in speed a lot of times. Especially if you keep the Verus on during the work day, boot time is its main disadvantage.

I wouldnt consider the Verdict if you want to run outside applications in it. The Verus is a better choice for that. I know guys who run IDS from a Verus.

Comment

• Witsend
      Banned
      • Nov 2012

Diesel Shop

If I wanted more coverage for heavier duty diesels than F350s , I would look at this a Nexiq Pro Link Scanner, I think Snap On may sell a rebadged version of the same scanner

National Tool Warehouse supplies automotive tools to a wide range of customers including professional mechanics, hobbyists, and shade tree mechanics.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
        Snap-on DSD
        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Witsend
        If I wanted more coverage for heavier duty diesels than F350s , I would look at this a Nexiq Pro Link Scanner, I think Snap On may sell a rebadged version of the same scanner

http://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.com...FQ8oaQodhpwAgg

So you know, that scan tool was recently discontinued. That place is probably selling off the old stock. The new Pro link ultra is the replacement.

Joe
        "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
        Henry Ford

Comment

• Joe Rappa
          Snap-on DSD
          • Aug 2007

We'd like to start out with a scan tool that can handle all the big brands.
          Any Snap-on scanner will cover all three diesel trucks, but as others have stated, not at the OE level. Thankfully you have one to play with and can see exactly what the coverage is. So you know, the Solus EDGE will have the same coverage as a Verdict/Verus. Scanner coverage is the same across all Snap-on scanners as long as they are on the same update.

For instance when you replace a 6.0 Ficm suck the information out and put it in the new Ficm?
          No. you will need a Pass Thru Programmer or an IDS to do that.
          Will either scanner be able to make IQA code changes for 6.7 injectors?
          Not currently. I'm hoping we see this in the future.

When talking Verus .vs Verdict, is the Verus faster when processing applications?
          Verus is much faster. I have both. Even with a Solid State Hard Drive the Verdict lacks some horsepower. If you are on a tight budget it still makes a good PC based scanner though.

My 2 cents.

Joe
          "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
          Henry Ford

Comment

• Witsend
            Banned
            • Nov 2012

Axe but don't tell policy?

So you know, that scan tool was recently discontinued. That place is probably selling off the old stock. The new Pro link ultra is the replacement.

Joe
            That's important information to know, but I would call Nexiq first, maybe be supported for updating for awhile yet (unless competitor bought em out with an Axe but don't tell policy.
            If you specialize in diesel trucks you'll still see International, Freightliner, Isuzu, Mercedes Benz to name some that have some lighter diesel commercial trucks.

Comment

• maven
              • Mar 2014

Originally posted by Witsend
              If you specialize in diesel trucks you'll still see International, Freightliner, Isuzu, Mercedes Benz to name some that have some lighter diesel commercial trucks.
              Mercedes is the only one of those to my knowledge that offer anything in a light duty truck in the US.(Sprinter) Most class4/5 trucks arent gonna seek out a "regular" light duty shop even if they work on powerstrokes. Hell probably get F450 and F550 guys but thats what the VCM2 is for

Comment

• Witsend
                Banned
                • Nov 2012

On the Pro link Ultra it appears you get 10 free uses , then you have to decide what OE subscriptions you want to pay for to be able to use it? Wouldn't it be cheaper to run the OE subscription of choice off a laptop?

Comment

Working...