What test or features would you like to see added to you Snap On Diagnostic tools

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SnapOnKid
    • Jan 2011

What test or features would you like to see added to you Snap On Diagnostic tools

I see a few different Threads in various parts of the forum with people asking for different test and features. As some of you know Snap On does look at this site to determine what is most important to focus on for future software relases. I personal thought a thread like this might be a good idea to disscus what we would like to see added or even issues that could be fixed or improved upon. Let's see what you guys think

For me I would like to see some of the following things added

1. Honda / Acura VTM-4 Support I would like to see this one added by the 11.4 Update... This is very important on the AWD Platforms. If you can't clear the fault code in the VTM-4 system, The VTM-4 Feature will Not function... If you don't have another scanner that can see this system and clear the fault codes, you could end up with come backs that you can't fix or losing a customer over this problem. HIGH PRIORITY FUNCTION

2. Honda / Acura Evap Testing. Bi-directional support like the Factory scan tool to open and close the solenoids to test the system.
    MEDUIM PRIORITY FUNCTION

I am not sure what other manufactures don't currently have Evap Testing So if we Need to add a car line please post it up.

Doing this manually is time consuming when needing to smoke the system and some times requires removing a few parts to gain additonal access.

3. On Verus Plateforum when you pull a code, it gives you the option for more Help. That link takes you directly to Shop Key 5. Not all of us have a subscription. A direct link to trouble shooter would be more helpfull for those of us not using mitchel

How about changeing that option to also Alow you to look in trouble shooter software. HIGH PRIORITY FUNCTION

Currently you have to navigate around this to get to the trouble shooter software. This is Also time consuming. As a New User, I was un-aware of this and had to get help to figure out how to find the trouble shooter after pulling a code.

4. Back button does not always work on Verus plateforum. I understand a fix is on the way as we have discussed this in the verus forum.

5. I know Volvo coverage is on the way Starting with the basics first But would like to see all module coverage for these in the future. MEDIUM PRIORITY

6. More Porsche coverage. I know not every one works on these but some of us do from time to time. Like my self. I had the seat out trying to diagnose a bad module under the seat. This set the SRS light on and I had to get some one local to Reset this for me. LOW PRIORITY FUNCTION

7. GM Tire size calibration. The Tech 2 can change tire size calibrartion from the tool which affects the way the brakeing system works and were the shift points occure. This feature is very valuable when I do brake jobs. Since people change tire size deppending on whats on sale and what not I would be nice to adjust this Like the factory tool. HIGH PRIORITY FUNCTION

I know its avalible in the GM Tech 2 software on trucks like 99- up body style because I own an 00 and 05 Silverado my self and have used this feature. Not sure on cars though.

8. All module scanning on CAN bus systems Like on Ford Vehicals with CAN as Eddieverus mentioned. Nice to know what modules are present and active when you start your diagnostics. HIGH PRIORITY FUNCTION

9. Full vin feature Needed for record keeping. This is a must option HIGH PRIORITY FUNCTION

10. Fuel pump activation test This is helpfull to determine pump problems and diagnose fuel injection issues. Some of the Gm coverage seems to be missing. Would be helpfull on all product lines...
    HIGH PRIORITY FUNCTION

11. The scroll feature is Narrow and hard to grab and scroll through data. I know we have discussed changing the interface around on the Atlas/Verus platforum so please keep this one in mind while makeing adjustments... HIGH PRIORITY FEATURE

12. Desiel DPF Regeneration Reset feature. The OEM tools for FORD And GM allow you to reset this feature. This is a much needed feature for those that see desiels. Desiel are becomeing more popular with all car lines. HIGH PRIORITY FEATURE

13.The Abilty to save functional test results and the related data to that test. HIGH PRIORITY FEATURE

14.The ability to Auto ID a vehical with the option to enter it manualy Other scan tool OEM and aftermarket currently do this.

15.The Ability to move the graphs around when veiwing live data in graph forum. Apparently this was availible in 10.2 but changed with the 10.4 update We Need this feature back in the New User interface.HIGH PRIORITY FEATURE

16. Technician Work order needs to save the engine I.D. This is important information for parts and specific repairs HIGH PRIORITY FEATURE

Over all I would say in the last 2 years Snap On has made Huge improvments in there coverage. Thats why I finally spent the money on a new scan tool. Same with the shop owner I currently work for. We looked a several scan tools and had a few demo's, but overall the Snap on had fairly good coverage and a good over all lay out.

Let's see what you guys would like to see added or changed.
    Last edited by SnapOnKid; 05-04-2011, 10:18 AM. Reason: Updates to the Wants and Need list....
  • timstech
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by SnapOnKid
    I see a few different Threads in various parts of the forum with people asking for different test and features. As some of you know Snap On does look at this site to determine what is most important to focus on for future software relases. I personal thought a thread like this might be a good idea to disscus what we would like to see added or even issues that could be fixed or improved upon. Let's see what you guys think

1. Honda / Acura VTM-4 Support

2. Honda / Acura Evap Testing. Bi-directional support like the Factory scan tool to open and close the solenoids to test the system.

Doing this manually is time consuming when needing to smoke the system and some times requires removing a few parts to gain additonal access.

3. On Verus Plateforum when you pull a code, it gives you the option for more Help. That link takes you directly to Shop Key 5. Not all of us have a subscription. A direct link to trouble shooter would be more helpfull for those of us not using mitchel

How about changeing that option to also Alow you to look in trouble shooter software.

Currently you have to navigate around this to get to the trouble shooter software. This is Also time consuming. As a New User, I was un-aware of this and had to get help to figure out how to find the trouble shooter after pulling a code.

4. Back button does not always work on Verus plateforum. I understand a fix is on the way as we have discussed this in the verus forum.

5. I know Volvo coverage is on the way Starting with the basics first But would like to see all module coverage for these in the future

6. More Porsche coverage. I know not every one works on these but some do from time to time. Like my self. I had the seat out trying to diagnose a bad module under the seat. This set the SRS light on and I had to get some one local to Reset this for me.

Over all I would say in the last 2 years Snap On has made Huge improvments in there coverage. Thats why I finally spent the money on a new scan tool. Same with the shop owner I currently work for. We looked a several scan tools and had a few demo's, but overall the Snap on had fairly good coverage and a good over all lay out.

Let's what you guys would like to see added or changed.
    I would like to see item 3 on your list, I also see the potential with SO. I put off a TECH2 and MDI for now to go with a VERUS

Comment

• SnapOnKid
      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by timstech
      I would like to see item 3 on your list, I also see the potential with SO. I put off a TECH2 and MDI for now to go with a VERUS
      Thanks for the response!!! I am actually going to get rid of my tech 2 . I might Get the MDI for flash through stuff on GM's though...

The only thing so far that I can not do with my verus That I can with the tech 2 is change tire size calibration which affects brakeing functions and transmission shift points. Something else I should put on my list...

Comment

• timstech
        • Dec 2010

Thanks for the response!!! I am actually going to get rid of my tech 2 . I might Get the MDI for flash through stuff on GM's though...

The only thing so far that I can not do with my verus That I can with the tech 2 is change tire size calibration which affects brakeing functions and transmission shift points. Something else I should put on my list...
        I know your VERUS is new, do you pull it before the T2 on a GM BCM related problem

Comment

• SnapOnKid
          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by timstech
          I know your VERUS is new, do you pull it before the T2 on a GM BCM related problem
          I did on the last one I had. Was able to do all the same things. You know turn things on and off.

With the China clones on the market the tech2's are really losing there value.

I have been told you can no longer do pass through programming with the tech2. A Dealer tech says only MDI for that now. Have not verified it myself though...
          Last edited by SnapOnKid; 03-11-2011, 04:13 PM.

Comment

• Skip
            Super Moderator
            • Apr 2008

Dodges have the ability to change tire size in the ABS module with a SO tool, it's called pinion factor. You can enter a tire size or rev/mile. There is a limit on the range set inside the controller.

Comment

• SnapOnKid
              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Skip
              Dodges have the ability to change tire size in the ABS module with a SO tool, it's called pinion factor. You can enter a tire size or rev/mile. There is a limit on the range set inside the controller.
              Good to know. I have never worked on a dodge using a snap on scanner yet....

Comment

• Wheel
                • Jul 2007

On the scope side of things...

I would like to see the ability to graph ohms and engine RPM like
                the original Vantage could do.

I would like user definable probe setup. Let me explain.
                While Snap On's native pressure transducers and low amp probe are
                provided for, high amp probes, other specialty pressure probes, and
                temperature probes, etc. are not. Yeah you can still use them, but you
                must read them as voltage and do the interpreting yourself.
                The Interro PDA had the ability to allow the user to set up the scope to use any probe and automatically define the units of measure. For instance, if you wanted to set up a Fluke PV 350 pressure / vacuum transducer, which outputs 1mv per psi or inch of vacuum, you would fill in the name of the unit of measure, and tell the scope for instance that 1 mv should equal 1 psi of pressure, save your settings, and then your PV 350 would now be able to show up on your scope in psi or inches of mercury instead of millivolts. Or how about setting it up for your hi amp probe (1mv/amp) so you can read your starter draw or relative compression in amps instead of millivolts? If you were showing your customers these wave forms, having these values already converted would make explaining them a lot easier.
                You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• SnapOnKid
                  • Jan 2011

That makes perfect sense... Good Idea !!!

It would be nice to Read it as you just explained it. Especially when explaining it to a customer.

Comment

• kebo1970
                    • Nov 2008

cylinder contribution test for all ford vehicles would be a good upgrade. i use the contribution test we have now and it really SAVES me time. the live misfire data would help with all of the major brands (chyrsler,honda,toyota,nissan) i did'nt put gm or ford since we have some coverage. more honda toyota and nissan functional tests. worked on a 2000 acura TL last week; no functional test available. on honda if there are functional test available; none of them work. these are items that really make a mechanics job easier. porche and land rover coverage is ok but for every porche i turn away i see 10 fords,toyotas,honda, or nissans. snap on please help me increase productivity on what's coming in my shop daily; i doubt i'll see a porche or land rover this month. did i spell porche right?

Comment

• SnapOnKid
                      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by kebo1970
                      cylinder contribution test for all ford vehicles would be a good upgrade. i use the contribution test we have now and it really SAVES me time. the live misfire data would help with all of the major brands (chyrsler,honda,toyota,nissan) i did'nt put gm or ford since we have some coverage. more honda toyota and nissan functional tests. worked on a 2000 acura TL last week; no functional test available. on honda if there are functional test available; none of them work. these are items that really make a mechanics job easier. porche and land rover coverage is ok but for every porche i turn away i see 10 fords,toyotas,honda, or nissans. snap on please help me increase productivity on what's coming in my shop daily; i doubt i'll see a porche or land rover this month. did i spell porche right?
                      Good post! Which functional test for the Honda / Acura's are you looking for? Because Honda/Acura and Toyota's are a main part of my business here too.

The more people that post up specifics will show Snap On that we need to get certain features expedited.

Comment

• Wheel
                        • Jul 2007

On GM trucks 95 and older with 4 wheel ABS, Snap On has a feature
                        to initiate a functional test, which is often necessary to bleed the brakes.
                        Anyone who has struggled to get a good pedal out of these knows the
                        importance of what I am talking about. The feature does not work.
                        At least not on the Modis. And probably not on the other platforms. It behaves as though there is a code present (there isn't) and won't run the test. For those at Snap On who would try to troubleshoot this, ANY of these trucks with this system will do, but you might particularly try a 95 model. Also, there are enough of these out there, don't they warrant their own ABS connector? Using the multi 1 connector is a royal pain here. If I had a dedicated connector here, I could plug it in and be done before I even got started fumbling around with the multi 1 connector.
                        You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• eddiesverus
                          • Dec 2008

1. Honda / Acura VTM-4 Support

How about changeing that option to also Alow you to look in trouble shooter software.

5. I know Volvo coverage is on the way Starting with the basics first But would like to see all module coverage for these in the future.

6. More Porsche coverage. I know not every one works on these but some do from time to time. Like my self. I had the seat out trying to diagnose a bad module under the seat. This set the SRS light on and I had to get some one local to Reset this for me.

7. GM Tire size calibration. The Tech 2 can change tire size calibrartion from the tool which affects the way the brakeing system works and were the shift points occure. This feature is very valuable when I do brake jobs. Since people change tire size deppending on whats on sale and what not I would be nice to adjust this Like the factory tool.

I know its avalible in the GM Tech 2 software on trucks like 99- up body style because I own an 00 and 05 Silverado my self and have used this feature. Not sure on cars though.

Let's what you guys would like to see added or changed.
                          I agree with everything you have said, even I do own many other tools including a tech2, I prefer a single platform like the Verus because It lets me do many functions and run two tools in a single platform. But eventhough I still don't like the 10.4 interface I think its a very good tool. I had posted in an other thread that I also would like the ability for a all module scan, this would reley be the best upgrade. Currenty only pre-CAN Ford has it, but I would like it on GM class2 and all current CAN vehicles, as stated before this helps isolate which systems attention first and to the problem fast.
                          Yes as I stated on a diffrent thread, that a costomizible link added from the codes screen to SnapOn own Troubleshooter as well to IdentaFix, Askatech or IATN for those current subscribers. I have Shop key but I've always found the answer elseware. especialy in SnapOns own troubleshooter info.
                          Hard Work, commitment, Honesty and not giving up is what Makes us better Tech's

Comment

• SnapOnKid
                            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by eddiesverus
                            I agree with everything you have said, even I do own many other tools including a tech2, I prefer a single platform like the Verus because It lets me do many functions and run two tools in a single platform. But eventhough I still don't like the 10.4 interface I think its a very good tool. I had posted in an other thread that I also would like the ability for a all module scan, this would reley be the best upgrade. Currenty only pre-CAN Ford has it, but I would like it on GM class2 and all current CAN vehicles, as stated before this helps isolate which systems attention first and to the problem fast.
                            Yes as I stated on a diffrent thread, that a costomizible link added from the codes screen to SnapOn own Troubleshooter as well to IdentaFix, Askatech or IATN for those current subscribers. I have Shop key but I've always found the answer elseware. especialy in SnapOns own troubleshooter info.
                            Good post Eddie!!! I forgot about the all module scanning. Thats a good Idea I will add it on to my want list.

Comment

• SnapOnKid
                              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Wheel
                              On GM trucks 95 and older with 4 wheel ABS, Snap On has a feature
                              to initiate a functional test, which is often necessary to bleed the brakes.
                              Anyone who has struggled to get a good pedal out of these knows the
                              importance of what I am talking about. The feature does not work.
                              At least not on the Modis. And probably not on the other platforms. It behaves as though there is a code present (there isn't) and won't run the test. For those at Snap On who would try to troubleshoot this, ANY of these trucks with this system will do, but you might particularly try a 95 model. Also, there are enough of these out there, don't they warrant their own ABS connector? Using the multi 1 connector is a royal pain here. If I had a dedicated connector here, I could plug it in and be done before I even got started fumbling around with the multi 1 connector.
                              I have used that function on newer vehicals when I do a brake Job. It makes a world of difference to the pedal feel. Unfortunitly I can't remember the last time I had something older then 96-97. Never tried it on any thing older then around 98 at the shop I work for.

If the function Is not working as it should on say a 95 model GM Then we need to let Snap On know so they can be aware of this. They will need a vin Number so they can attempt to duplicate it and correct the issue.

Comment

Working...