99 Lexus RX300 P1354 (VVT malfunction Bank2)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

99 Lexus RX300 P1354 (VVT malfunction Bank2)

Came in running terrible with misfire codes for cylinders ,2, 4, 6 and lean code for bank 1. I'm not sure if the Snap On scanner can turn on a VVT solenoid valve or not, but using the Maxi-... I selected and turned on the VVT solenoid for bank 2 and no change in the lousy idle quality occurred. I then selected and turned on VVT solenoid for bank 1 and it idle changed and became rougher.
    I unplugged Bank #2 VVT solenoid and plugged a Bosch style noid light in to confirm circuit, took the single bolt out , pushed a hose to the side and slid the Bank #2 VVT solenoid out within 5 minutes. Ohmed out at 7.5ohms .Using a power probe ,determined power and ground pin sides of harness connector, then jumped power and ground to respective pins of removed solenoid and watched plunger valve actuate. Sprayed it down with brake cleaner and blew it off, but before reinstalling the VVT solenoid I briefly started the engine to expel some oil and of course to make a mess. It took a second one second start up before it expelled oil out of the hole though, but it made a good enough mess for me to decide to put the old VVT solonoid back in and verify it runs like new and watch the long term fuel trims go into negative territory.
    Guess a oil and filter change and clean down the oil and she's good to go. I wonder if a BMW or VW would be as Abuser friendly?

• Crusty
    • Dec 2007

I wonder if they've been following the "Extended Oil Drain" intervals or the oil life monitor in the vehicle. LMAO-!!
    Naaaaaw....oil doesn't get dirty or sludge up small passages.....the "new" synthetic specifications don't allow that to happen.... LMAO

Comment

• Modis500
      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Crusty
      I wonder if they've been following the "Extended Oil Drain" intervals or the oil life monitor in the vehicle. LMAO-!!
      Naaaaaw....oil doesn't get dirty or sludge up small passages.....the "new" synthetic specifications don't allow that to happen.... LMAO
      ESPECIALLY on the Lexus V6's..... NEVER had a sludge problem on these!!
      And speaking of extended drive time on oils, the locals with their Lexus and BMW's are the worst here in the Southeast. But that rant is for another day.
      "If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time!"
      Zig Ziglar

Comment

• wayno
        • Jul 2011

Sludge

You must not work on many Lexus . They do sludge. They even at one time had a campain because of sludging.

Comment

• Crusty
          • Dec 2007

Seen all this same Cr@p since the oil crisis of 1973-!!
          New oils came out, miracle oils, "new and improved"....
          Has anyone noticed more and more failures in the last 6 or 8 years regarding timing chains, cam phasers, cam & crank codes, sticking valves, etc, etc....
          ALL are related to oils and variable valve timing....
          WHY-??
          because the oil just plain needs to be changed once in a while...
          All the advertising hype about "You too can enjoy a low cost of maintenance by extending the oil drain intervals".
          Lexus aren't the first vehicle to have sludging issues.
          The idea of phasing the camshafts to improve the volumetric efficiency of the air in and out of the cylinders is sound in principle. The fundamental issue is the only way to do this is with Pacals law and the power of hydraulic pressure.
          The fundamental principle is that oils need to be changed, or buy a new car sooner......
          Now the used car market gets the neglected vehicles and people suffer the damage that shows up much later and in exponential damage with more and more components in the vehicles.
          Just sayin....LMAO (again) ... change the damned oil-!!!

Comment

• diesel71
            • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Crusty
            Seen all this same Cr@p since the oil crisis of 1973-!!
            New oils came out, miracle oils, "new and improved"....
            Has anyone noticed more and more failures in the last 6 or 8 years regarding timing chains, cam phasers, cam & crank codes, sticking valves, etc, etc....
            ALL are related to oils and variable valve timing....
            WHY-??
            because the oil just plain needs to be changed once in a while...
            All the advertising hype about "You too can enjoy a low cost of maintenance by extending the oil drain intervals".
            Lexus aren't the first vehicle to have sludging issues.
            The idea of phasing the camshafts to improve the volumetric efficiency of the air in and out of the cylinders is sound in principle. The fundamental issue is the only way to do this is with Pacals law and the power of hydraulic pressure.
            The fundamental principle is that oils need to be changed, or buy a new car sooner......
            Now the used car market gets the neglected vehicles and people suffer the damage that shows up much later and in exponential damage with more and more components in the vehicles.
            Just sayin....LMAO (again) ... change the damned oil-!!!
            excellent way of putting it crusty I see the same things in the diesel world, a customer looses a turbo and asks why it failed=I say because there is sludge in the turbo supply line, restricting the flow of oil. causing extra heat and damaging the bearings. they always wonder how that can be....lol after all they use this super duper oil that's don't need changed until 10,000 miles ....lol or they have put some snake oil additive in, that's not supposed to let that happen.

Comment

• Modis500
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by wayno
              You must not work on many Lexus . They do sludge. They even at one time had a campain because of sludging.
              Yes, I was aware of this campaign, that's why I made the joke! The two worst sludge-babies I see most common are the Toyota/Lexus V6 and the BMW 6's.
              Just my experience
              "If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time!"
              Zig Ziglar

Comment

• Crusty
                • Dec 2007

Originally posted by diesel71
                excellent way of putting it crusty I see the same things in the diesel world, a customer looses a turbo and asks why it failed=I say because there is sludge in the turbo supply line, restricting the flow of oil. causing extra heat and damaging the bearings. they always wonder how that can be....lol after all they use this super duper oil that's don't need changed until 10,000 miles ....lol or they have put some snake oil additive in, that's not supposed to let that happen.
                diesel71; l learned a few things from a very good "A" customer (and friend) who pointed out that Turbos need a cool down time, just idling for a minute or two after driving before shutdown.
                The turbo does get a little -"hot"-?? LMAO.
                If they don't let a little oil flow through for a minute while it cools down at idle, the oil BAKES in the turbo oil feed line and bakes the turbo bearings.....
                When you add worn out oil and additives it only makes sense that the little buggers start to allow the shaft to flop around.....

I've enjoyed your posts regarding anything diesel BTW.
                Always learnin'...LOL

Comment

Working...