Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mrtwstr
    • Mar 2018

Smoke-Producing Solution SUBSTITUTION

I need to smoke a customers Jeep right now and ran out of EELD500-1 solution, so the machine wont work at all.
    I've read baby oil works but may not be as visible because of no UV additive.
    Is this true?
    Is it OK to put Baby Oil in the machine so I can smoke this today while I order in the actual Snap-On solution?
    Thanks!!
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

I think you should be able to get by using the fluid they use in those Halloween Fog machines in a pinch if it's not some very tiny leak requiring a black light to see the pinpoint evidence of UV dye. Maybe a Party Supply Store?

Comment

• mrtwstr
      • Mar 2018

Thanks for the reply Witsend.
      I've done a lot of research and it seems the EELD500-1 is just an oil based solution with a UV die to make it easier to view with a black light.
      Mineral Oil is typically going to smoke more and run out quicker, baby oil will wok just fine and last longer.
      I am making a solution mixing 14oz baby oil and 20ml A/C Dye.
      Approx $3.30 for 14oz VS 8oz of EELD500-1 for $58.00
      I'll report how it works.
      I'm confident enough that I'm going to try it, but my main concern is if it will eventually plug the machine or build up inside on the heating element... or???

Comment

• Witsend
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

Not sure how it's designed, but I've seen a Rube Goldburg one with a diesel glow plug submerged in ATF in a paint can I think if you might need keep enough oil in it to keep the heating element always fully submerged under a good depth of oil , it should make the smoke without boiling the oil and turning the stuff into Tar Baby oil or risking a fire or explosion if it it turns out to have a lower flashpoint than the correct fluid and air gets to the heating element if you run the oil level too low

Comment

Working...