X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hhong12dlm
    • Mar 2013

Modis and Seiko DPU3445 capabilities ?

Just got one of these Seiko DPU3445 thermal printer and with help
    from a fellow member got my first prinouts of PID's, Codes and readiness monitors, unable to print screens,PID graphs or text
    from other areas such as help or component testing.
    Am I expecting too much?
    What are you guys getting as far as printouts with this setup?
    I have the printer set to default and then set it to "roll" paper,
    using IR port,been playing with the other settings a bit but no luck.
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

I think you are expecting too much . I think you can save screen shots and pids to view later and print from shopstream connect program , and then maybe only after being saved to a PDF file on the PC . Even my DS 708 that allows me to print wirelessly inside my house while parked along the curb doesn't have a print screen option for everything it displays. I once tried to print the freeze frame data and it wasted about 10 sheets of paper printing out way more cr@p then I wanted.
    i think you got a real handy thing to have .

I have a Snap On Scribe on top of Counselor 2 that comes in handy for printing stuff off scope and my MT2500 scanner. I was wondering if anyone out there has printed from the Counselor 2 and scribe printer using later model scan tools?

Comment

• chaskuss
      • Dec 2009

Originally posted by hhong12dlm
      Just got one of these Seiko DPU3445 thermal printer

snipped

Do you have the ACTiSYS model ACT-IR100M Infrared Adapter hooked up to your Modis? According to the Modis Display manual, this adapter is required to communicate via infrared with the Seiko KPU 3445 printer.

Comment

• hhong12dlm
        • Mar 2013

No I dont have that but,
        I believe ACTiSYS adapter is used to interface to a compatable
        printer for IR use, the Seiko DPU3445 has IR built in already.
        Seiko DPU3445 is in the Modis printers menu, ive been
        using the built in infrared port and have the printer sitting in front
        of the Modis, I can print DTC list , PID list, OBD monitors and thats
        about it, no screenshots or text from help or component testing.
        I'm thinking that to do that id need a another printer other than what
        I have or need to interface to pc with shopstream connect.
        What I usually do with screenshots is transfer to USB then view/print
        with PC / shopstream connect, the text I cant do that way.
        Not really too important I got the printer cheap on ebay and was
        playing with it.

Comment

• chaskuss
          • Dec 2009

No I dont have that but,
          I believe ACTiSYS adapter is used to interface to a compatable
          printer for IR use, the Seiko DPU3445 has IR built in already.
          Seiko DPU3445 is in the Modis printers menu, ive been
          using the built in infrared port and have the printer sitting in front
          of the Modis, I can print DTC list , PID list, OBD monitors and thats
          about it, no screenshots or text from help or component testing.
          I'm thinking that to do that id need a another printer other than what
          I have or need to interface to pc with shopstream connect.
          What I usually do with screenshots is transfer to USB then view/print
          with PC / shopstream connect, the text I cant do that way.
          Not really too important I got the printer cheap on ebay and was
          playing with it.
          Cool! So that means that the Modis has a built in iR port? My daughter asked me what I wanted for Christmas. Instead of my usual "I don't know" answer, I emailed her my Amazon tool wish list. She got me the Seiko DPU 3445 printer that Witsend linked above. I got a brand new printer [$38 delivered, sans battery, power supply or any other accessory] I'm looking for a new battery and power supply now. Best I've found so far is about $26 for a brand new 2200 Mah battery [stock is 1500 Mah] and $30 for a used power supply. I managed to at least verify that the printer powers up with a 9V 200 mAh power supply. Anyone have cheaper sources??

Comment

• hhong12dlm
            • Mar 2013

Charlie, I used a unversal power supply that I already had laying around
            got it from walmart $20, I use my printer with no battery, it takes a special button
            sequence to recharge the rechargeable battery and I
            dont move the printer anyways.

Comment

• chaskuss
              • Dec 2009

OK, I found the RCA model AH56R 2500 mA power adapter. You can find this on EBay, Amazon or WalMart. I got mine at WalMart, as I have two unused gift cards from them, sitting in my wallet. This adapter can be set to 6, 7.5, 9 or 12 volts. The DPU 3445 requires the 9 volt setting.

Comment

• Trindaddy
                • Jan 2010

Just got one of these Seiko DPU3445 thermal printer and with help
                from a fellow member got my first prinouts of PID's, Codes and readiness monitors, unable to print screens,PID graphs or text
                from other areas such as help or component testing.
                Am I expecting too much?
                What are you guys getting as far as printouts with this setup?
                Was that you I spoke with earlier? Anyway, you can only "print screen" when the print menu lists it as an option. I am sure you can do it from almost any screen. I will say that without a battery you are in tough shape because many of the screens and data that you can print are only available when you are attached to the car and have the data avail to print. Besides, part of the beauty of this set up is the ability to print the data without saving it...on the spot. Its way nicer to bring it with you and set it on the seat or dash and just print whatever you want as you see it. I know for sure it will print data, graphs, movies, and screens. Try it while accessing it "live".

Neil

Comment

• chaskuss
                  • Dec 2009

I paid $19.15 at Walmart's web site. Had it shipped to my local store so I would not have to pay shipping charges. It works great with the printer. Use the largest of the included output adapters with the Seiko. Use the link below.

FYI, When the printer is powered up, the red ERROR light will be illuminated, unless paper is inserted into the feed end of the printer.

Charlie

Comment

• hhong12dlm
                    • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Trindaddy
                    Was that you I spoke with earlier? Anyway, you can only "print screen" when the print menu lists it as an option. I am sure you can do it from almost any screen. I will say that without a battery you are in tough shape because many of the screens and data that you can print are only available when you are attached to the car and have the data avail to print. Besides, part of the beauty of this set up is the ability to print the data without saving it...on the spot. Its way nicer to bring it with you and set it on the seat or dash and just print whatever you want as you see it. I know for sure it will print data, graphs, movies, and screens. Try it while accessing it "live".

Neil
                    Hi, that was me....

Ive got my printer along with the Modis in a cart, its powered up
                    and hooked up live, so far I still can only get PID list,readyness monitors, DTC list, but no graphs, movies, and screens.
                    maybe the unit I got is different somehow than the snap on ? Or the battery that I do not have could be a issue ?
                    Hey Charlie what are you getting as far as print outs ?
                    Last edited by hhong12dlm; 01-17-2015, 08:01 AM. Reason: add

Comment

• chaskuss
                      • Dec 2009

Hi, that was me....

snipped
                      Hey Charlie what are you getting as far as print outs ?
                      Howard,
                      Sorry, I haven't really had to much time to play with my printer. I've only used it for basic stuff, so far. Maybe Trindaddy will comment. He has several of these printers and seems to have used them quite a bit. The 6 D cell battery pack with rechargeable NiMh batteries in it, works quite well for me. No problems using the RCA power supply, either.
                      Charlie

Comment

• Trindaddy
                        • Jan 2010

Hhong,

There is no "Snap-on unit". Its just a Seiko. As time goes by, I am learning to adapt to life without my printers as the Ultra can not utilize. I have to take some pictures of my old "air cards" for Chaskuss so I will try breaking out the ol girl, charge up a battery and confirm its abilities for you this week.

Meanwhile, check this over carefully:
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Trindaddy; 01-18-2015, 09:02 PM. Reason: address

Comment

• Trindaddy
                          • Jan 2010

Sorry Hhong, I will get to this soon for you.

Comment

• hhong12dlm
                            • Mar 2013

thanks, no hurry,
                            Im used to it the way it is now, unless im overlooking something, I dont see anything else to do to it at this point.

Comment

• Trindaddy
                              • Jan 2010

thanks, no hurry,
                              Im used to it the way it is now, unless im overlooking something, I dont see anything else to do to it at this point.
                              Here's the way its supposed to look Hhong. Sorry took so long to deliver these not-so-great pictures:

Taken while running/connected to this car!

Neil
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...