Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Prezauto
    • Dec 2014

Gen2 Modis or Gen1 Verus

Hi all, new here and new to SO diagnostics. Have been using OTC Genisys classic for years now, and had a Genisys Evo & Maxidas DS708 (both of the latter sold to offset Modis purchase).

I have recently acquired a Vantage v3.0 with KV module, a Modis v13.4 and most recently a Verus v12.4, all off of ebay. Was so impressed with the old Vantage that I bought a Vantage Pro, but quickly realized I wanted 4ch.

Been using the Modis for a coupe of months and like it, but wanted a bigger display, which is where the Verus comes in. Sadly, being a one man show, I can only afford to keep & update one of them. Also have concerns with WinXP only being supported for another 3yrs, and the likelihood of Modis not being supported at all in the near future. Obviously if I keep the Verus it'll need the RAM and HDD upgraded. I don't care about using the Verus on the web, but like the idea off adding OEM software to it as opposed to buying a laptop down the road.

So I humbly ask for your experienced opinions before I spend any additional money on the Verus.
    John
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

I would sell that gen 1 Verus "as is" rather than risk a chance something going very wrong cloning HDD and getting a dreaded "authorization required" message and having no recourse but to pay to update the unit to 14.4 (and because you are not the original owner of the Gen 1 Verus with the receipt for the last 12.4 update) . I would sell your original Vantage and keep the Vantage Pro. The Modis , I wouldn't be as afraid to take it apart , clean it out, and upgrade the ram , add a keyboard , a mouse , and 10" screen like Scotmechanic did with his Modis with 13.4 which impressed me. Really cool looking now. The USB stuff all cobbled together plugged in at top of Modis I don't care for one bit, but I suppose you could probably velcro it beneath unit and run a short USB jumper to the top instead

Last edited by Witsend; 01-05-2015, 10:49 AM.

Comment

• Prezauto
      • Dec 2014

Originally posted by Witsend
      I would sell that gen 1 Verus "as is" rather than risk a chance something going very wrong cloning HDD and getting a dreaded "authorization required" message and having no recourse but to pay to update the unit to 14.4 (and because you are not the original owner of the Gen 1 Verus with the receipt for the last 12.4 update) . I would sell your original Vantage and keep the Vantage Pro. The Modis , I wouldn't be as afraid to take it apart , clean it out, and upgrade the ram , add a keyboard , a mouse , and 10" screen like Scotmechanic did with his Modis with 13.4 which impressed me. Really cool looking now. The USB stuff all cobbled together plugged in at top of Modis I don't care for one bit, but I suppose you could probably velcro it beneath unit and run a short USB jumper to the top instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVo9lyQBejg
      I've watched Scott's videos, and read several related discussion threads here. I've already opened up my Modis and from what I can see the memory isn't upgadeable? I'll post a pic of the board later. Also the Vantage Pro was sold a while back, kept the old Vantage.
      John

Comment

• SnapOnKid
        • Jan 2011

The difference wasn't much between the Verus 1 and the Verus 2 if you booted them up at the same time. The Nice thing about the Verus 1 is you can go back to the Cable with keys if you have a wireless module and its giving you issues.

Despite having the USB cable on the Wireless module, I have still experienced problems getting it to connect properly at times even with the cable. Especially after an update and firmware upgrade that accompanies newer updates.

I would stick with the Verus 1 and find someone competent to assist you with the upgrades.

Comment

• jm43130
          • Apr 2008

I have a Gen 2 Verus wireless and a solus Edge. I only update each one once a year. However , your dealer has to cooperate and tell you when new update is coming. You are sometimes a little behind because you update one just before new update, and then get a free update within a month because new update becomes available. So if you like to keep both, you can, just update one at like 14.1 update, get a free 14.2 update. then update other one in six months. The update you pay for is at end of update period, and free update is at beginning of update period.

Comment

• chaskuss
            • Dec 2009

You Aren't Very Specific in the Version of Modis

Originally posted by Prezauto
            I've watched Scott's videos, and read several related discussion threads here. I've already opened up my Modis and from what I can see the memory isn't upgadeable? I'll post a pic of the board later. Also the Vantage Pro was sold a while back, kept the old Vantage.
            It would help if you told us what type of Modis you have. It could be the original Generation 1 Modis Elite, or the Generation 2 Modis Elite or the newer Modis Ultra. I can't speak to the Ultra, as I've never had one apart. The main memory for the Gen 1 & 2 Modis Elites are both easily upgradeable. They use the old PC100 SDRam [desktop computer Ram] for the main memory. Below are two photos of me changing out the main memory in a buddy's Gen 2 Modis Elite. Gen 1 is similar. I have circled the memory slot in the second photo. The memory module is still installed in the second photo. However, the side with the label is facing down, so you can't see it.

These photos are of the top half of the Modis Elite. Snap On used Kingston brand memory, which in my book is the best. This type of memory is LONG obsolete in computers. It would be hard to find brand new "name brand" memory modules for this. That said, I would recommend buying tested Kingston, Crucial or other "brand name" used memory, as opposed to brand new "generic" memory off EBay or elsewhere. In the first photo you can see the make and model of the memory chip. The /64 at the end, denotes that it's a 64 Mb module. The Windows CE 3 & CE 5 operating systems used in the Modis Elites can handle a maximum of 256 Mb of memory. So to upgrade with the original Kingston brand you would want:

KVR100X64C3/128 [128 Mb] or
            KVR100X64C3/256 [256 Mb]

The C3 in the model number is the CAS latency number. Kingston also made a C2 version of these modules, which will also work [and is marginally faster] those part numbers would be:

KVR100X64C2/128 [128 Mb] or
            KVR100X64C2/256 [256 Mb]

Any of these four part numbers will work. I paid $12 for two of the KVR100X64C2/256 modules, off of EBay. The seller has over 100 more of these for sale. PM me if you want his contact info.
            FYI, there is also a second memory socket on these, which is empty from the factory. It is shorter and is designed to hold PC100 laptop memory. Adding memory here will give you more storage space for saving data files on the Modis. Since this memory would be "non critical" I went with brand new, generic memory here. I bought two of these in 128 Mb [one for me and one for my buddy] I paid a whopping $8 for the pair. At these prices, how could I go wrong? The socket for the laptop memory is hidden behind me holding up the main memory in the first photo. Heck, if you can find someone throwing away an old Windows 98 computer, it may have the correct memory in it, that you can harvest for free! Be sure to use proper "anti static" procedures when handling the innards of a computer, which is what the Modis is. If this is all scary to you, enlist the help of one of your computer geek friends, to help you. Note the two notches in the contact area of the memory module in the first photo. That ensures that the memory can only be installed one way. A sort of "idiot proofing". I know, I know. That just ensures better idiots. The white pieces on the ends of the memory socket in the first photo, are the "locking tabs" These ensure that the memory module won't come out, due to vibration. You need to move these outwards [45 degree angle] to unlock the memory module from it's socket.

If you watched Scott's video carefully, would would have noticed that he had an external 22" flat screen monitor hooked up to the Modis Elite. It's in the background. At the beginning of the video, note the connector at the lower, left corner of the Modis. That is the VGA [aka 15 pin DSub] connector for the external monitor. If the screen size is your major objection to the Modis, why not add an external monitor? You can probably pick up a nice 22" flat screen, used at the local pawn shop. My buddy just paid $30 for a 20" at the pawn shop. Must make sure that any external monitor [a computer monitor] has the older VGA connector. If it only has a DVI connector, you'll have to get a DVI to VGA adapter, which is a clunky kludge of a fix. A better solution to that problem would be to buy a DVI to VGA adapter cable. They go for about $5 for a 5 foot cable on EBay. That external monitor might get you by for a few years. By that time, those Verus' will be less expensive than they are now.
            Hope this helps

Charlie
            Last edited by chaskuss; 01-07-2015, 04:16 PM. Reason: fixed spelling errors & added 3 sentences to 4th paragraph & last paragraph

Comment

• chaskuss
              • Dec 2009

Modis Elite Upper Half Showing Both Memory Sockets

The photo below shows a Gen 2 Modis Elite upper half. At the top of the photo, the long black socket is for the main memory. near the bottom [just above the blue riser socket] is the shorter laptop memory socket. This is the socket that will be empty when you take the Modis apart. Gen 1 is similar. This photo is upside down, compared to the first two photos.

Last edited by chaskuss; 01-05-2015, 05:04 PM. Reason: added last sentence.

Comment

• Prezauto
                • Dec 2014

This is what I saw inside of mine. It is a gen2, sorry I must not have posted that other than the title. Also it has Win CE5 also.
                John

Comment

• Prezauto
                  • Dec 2014

It has the raised window and USB in left grip below CF card slot. Or do I have an updated gen1 in newer case with updated board?

I also have some spare memory from older computers, spare 15" flat panel monitor, spare wireless keyboard & mouse and a USB hub to use those and flash memory (if Win CE5 supports a hub),but I don't exactly have room for a dedicated Modis cart to keep it in & mount monitor to. It's a rather small 2 bay shop.
                  Last edited by Prezauto; 01-05-2015, 05:54 PM. Reason: added onto post
                  John

Comment

• chaskuss
                    • Dec 2009

Verryyy Interesting. Apologies to Arty Johnson

Prez,
                    Thanks for posting the photo. I have noticed that some Gen 2 Modis Elites have Windows CE 5.0 rather than 3.0 installed. I had asked about this on this forum months ago, but got no useful replies. Your board is entirely different from my buddy's [the photos I sent] & mine. Even the CMOS battery design is newer. Please look at the area I have circled on the photo below. Could this possibly be a memory socket for SO-DIMM [laptop} memory? Could you provide a pair of "edge on" photos of this area? On ours, the memory modules are mounted parallel to the main board, so you will probably have to look carefully at the sides to see if there are contacts on that white plastic piece.

What are those two Aqua colored sockets which appear to me from your photo, to be mounted in the blue riser socket [at the bottom of this photo] They are directly below the area I have circled. They don't exist in our boards. How about an "edge on" photo of those, as well? Looks like you have a newer design board.
                    Charlie

Comment

• Prezauto
                      • Dec 2014

The 2 aqua slots are what the removable scanner and scope modules plug into, are they possibly attached to the rear half of the case on yours? As for the connector you've circled, if you look closely there is a teal colored chipset installed already (note the color difference between it & main board).
                      Sadly I took this photo a few days back, before I reassembled it after a thorough cleaning, and it was the only one taken.
                      Last edited by Prezauto; 01-05-2015, 06:25 PM. Reason: grammar
                      John

Comment

• chaskuss
                        • Dec 2009

It has the raised window and USB in left grip below CF card slot. Or do I have an updated gen1 in newer case with updated board?

I also have some spare memory from older computers, spare 15" flat panel monitor, spare wireless keyboard & mouse and a USB hub to use those and flash memory (if Win CE5 supports a hub),but I don't exactly have room for a dedicated Modis cart to keep it in & mount monitor to. It's a rather small 2 bay shop.
                        Great that you have lots of spare computer stuff. Does your wireless mouse and keyboard use the same transmitter? I have no idea if it's a totally updated Gen 1, an updated Gen 2 or possibly, a later model Gen 2 than I've ever seen the insides of. In Scott's video, he has the wireless transmitter & USB memory stick plugged into what appears to be a small hub. His Modis also has Windows CE 5.0, so hopefully, you should be alright, there.
                        Perhaps you could pick up one of those Harbor Freight carts, to set it all up on. They are cheap enough. I've been thinking of getting one & using an external monitor. FYI, AESWave makes a very nice set of extra long lab scope leads for Snap On scopes. The perfect thing for a Modis on a cart. See

I should have picked up the fact that you have a Gen 2 from the title. My bad.
                        Last edited by chaskuss; 01-05-2015, 06:27 PM. Reason: added 3rd possible explanation for the newer motherboard

Comment

• Prezauto
                          • Dec 2014

Keyboard & mouse do share the transmitter, I totally forgot about the test drive leads from AESwave...good idea.
                          John

Comment

• chaskuss
                            • Dec 2009

Better photos needed

The 2 aqua slots are what the removable scanner and scope modules plug into, are they possibly attached to the rear half of the case on yours? As for the connector you've circled, if you look closely there is a teal colored chipset installed already (note the color difference between it & main board).
                            Sadly I took this photo a few days back, before I reassembled it after a thorough cleaning, and it was the only one taken.
                            OK When I upgraded the memory in my buddy's Modis, I did not remove the scanner or scope modules, so those 2 aqua 90 degree connectors stayed with the bottom [or rear as you call it] half.

The resolution of the photo you posted was not high enough for me to blow it up and get a good look at the center of the mother board. It goes out of focus when I do. However, looking at it again, I can see the two silver steel SO-DIMM [laptop memory] socket retaining clips. So that board must contain memory. That said, it doesn't look like a standard SO-DIMM memory module to me.

However, due to resolution limitations, I can not view the chips on that board. Can you post a higher resolution photo of just that board in the SO-DIMM slot or the entire motheboard? FYI, to release that board from the SO-SIMM slot, just move both the spring steel retaining clips outward. The board should then pop upward slightly. If it does not pop up, gently lift the rear [away from the white SO-DIMM socket] upward while the clips are released. The board is now unlocked and can be removed from the socket.

Comment

• Prezauto
                              • Dec 2014

Here are some more pictures of the board for you Charlie. Close up of the chipset, it's socket, scanner & scope module sockets.

I just realized in that last pic the scope & scanner board is printed with "2002",
                              Last edited by Prezauto; 01-06-2015, 07:59 PM.
                              John

Comment

Working...