MDI for Saturn relearn, what subscription?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • iblackford
    • Aug 2015

MDI for Saturn relearn, what subscription?

Hi All,

I have a 2002 SL2, I have an MDI clone, I need to use it to perform a relearn for a PCM replacement, what subscription do I need to buy? SPS? As I understand Saturns are slightly different (I'm here because my local dealer is useless on Saturns).

Thanks, Ivan
  • greasybob
    • May 2008

Not sure about the clone part but the software should be available from the SPS sight. If this link works you could enter the VIN and see if the down load is available https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web

Comment

• iblackford
      • Aug 2015

So I had checked that site previously, and my VIN is listed there. The problem is, my VIN is for an automatic, and what I want to do is convert it to a standard. Plenty of folks have done this on the same vintage vehicles in the past, 1 of 2 ways:

1) get a PCM from a manual car and perform a relearn to marry it to the BCM of my car.

2) at program time, apparently you can chose what options are installed on the car; cruise, transmission type, etc..they simply had the dealer reprogram the car as a manual transmission and it was done.

I can do either 1 or 2, as I have an MDI and spare manual PCM. My dealer is useless in helping me, and I can't seem to perform the 30min relearn on my particular year of car. This has been confirmed by other folks doing the swap, they had to go to the dealer to get it relearned. Since I have an MDI, I think I can perform what the dealer should be able to perform if I get the correct subscription.

Any help would be appreciated, I don't care which one I do, I just need a running car setup as a manual transmission, such that I can pass emissions.

Thanks, Ivan

Comment

• badcoupe
        • Jan 2011

you'll need a tis2web subscription. You can reflash it from there, you can also download tech2win and the appropriate drivers to set up your bcm as well. Go into software download and download tech2win as well as the mdi drivers. then you can go in to the body menu on tech2 and go to module setup. then by going to sps you'll be able to flash it as you need. Start by going to acdelcotds.com.

Comment

• iblackford
          • Aug 2015

So I need both the tech2win and the SPS subscriptions?

Comment

• badcoupe
            • Jan 2011

one subscription should get you all of it. Haven't used it in several years since I use a dealer login now

Comment

• iblackford
              • Aug 2015

This is the crux of my question, haha...if I had all subscriptions for a time I could just play at it, but I kinda want to know what the minimum subscriptions are before I buy them, as there are no returns.

I have a relatively old car, at the time it was new subscriptions were delivered on DVD, and I have heard some dealers sell these online when they are no longer needed. What were these DVD's called, and is anyone aware of where there might be some?

Thanks, Ivan

Comment

• Witsend
                Banned
                • Nov 2012

DVD's are from the days of Windows 98 and Ford SBDS

I would probably go to the junkyard and get the PCM and cluster out of the manual POS you got the trans out of and call it a day.Who gives a F@ck if the PCM vin is different . $50 well spent.

Comment

• iblackford
                  • Aug 2015

the VIN needs to match for the E-test to be valid, in order for me to get the registration sticker...

Comment

• Witsend
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2012

As long as there isn't a check engine light with a VIN mismatch code I think you will be fine. I think they are more concerned that the VIN plate of the car matches up to the plate number of the car being tested . Here in Illinois You probably get a waiver if you explain the trans was swapped out with a manual trans and the correct used pcm for the same model vehicle equipped with manual transmission.
                    I'm guessing , even if you brought it to the dealer you would be SOL for them to reflash the present pcm as a manual trans set up and retain same VIN , because there is probably a digit in your VIN # that relegates your vehicle as automatic transmission and at least one digit of your present VIN # is going to have to be altered before a re flashing to proceed anyway. The present PCM VIN after re flashing would be closer than a used junkyard unit but still not match the original VIN because it had to have one digit altered to denote manual transmission before reflashing

Comment

• iblackford
                      • Aug 2015

From what I know in Ontario, they simply read the codes from the computer and compare the VIN to the registered VIN. In my case, the deletion of the transmission throws some DTC's that are unfortunately emissions related, so I immediately fail.

These saturn transmissions fail quite often on older cars, and many folks in forums have swapped in manuals instead of throwing money at a transmission that could fail in the future. Up until the change in the e-test method a couple of years ago, you could run the auto pcm and they would just sniff you...now that they read the codes folks that hadn't converted their PCM have to. 00's and 01's are supposed to BCM relearn with a 30min relearn. 02's, from my experience and others, needs a tech2 to perform the relearn.

Thanks, Ivan

Comment

• iblackford
                        • Aug 2015

This seems to have gone a little quiet...anyone have any clue as to what subscriptions I might need, or a place that might have the information that I need?

Thanks, Ivan

Comment

• greasybob
                          • May 2008

The Tech2Win and the service programming subscriptions.

Comment

• iblackford
                            • Aug 2015

Both? So, I would use the Tech2win to emulate a tech2, and then the SPS sub to get the firmware needed to flash it, correct? This seems to make sense to completely reprogram the PCM.

However, if I wanted to just do a pcm relearn, to marry my junkyard manual pcm to the bcm, could I do this without the SPS subscription?

Thanks, Ivan

Comment

• greasybob
                              • May 2008

I don't think that you can rewrite the VIN in the PCM with the tech II.

Comment

Working...