Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Matt
    • Dec 2008

Transtar RAP kit

Anyone have experience with this system? I have seen these software install units offered under different names/vendors. I watched the video at transtars website. From what I can tell you lease a complete J2534 kit from the vendor and only pay per use. Sounds like a great idea, I just didn't know if it had the same capabilities/access as Pass Thru Pro or other J2534 devices.
    Last edited by Matt; 04-01-2017, 04:11 PM.
  • greasybob
    • May 2008

Sound like a cool idea. There is one kicker with the Drew Tech remote flash program fine print though. Installing used modules into different vehicles is not covered. So I'm not sure how this would work if you're installing a trans module/valve body that was previously installed in different vehicle.

Comment

• Matt
      • Dec 2008

work-a-round

I wonder if they would authorize an attempt to install software in a used module if you, the installer, assumed responsibility for replacing the module if the install failed?

Comment

• Witsend
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

If you rent a pass through and purchase the subscription, how would the loaner of the J2534 know if someone were flashing a new or used module? I think the additional time and steps needed to get a used module set up to work sometimes is just something Drew tech support doesn't wants to deal with calls and all the extra support time dedicated to holding hand and tutoring dozens of cheap Bastard DIY Green Horns speaking in broken english using a Drew Tech Rental tool from Poop Boyz to install junk yard modules. I think they figure the shop that only flash new modules are also the shops in more affluent areas most likely to embrace the purchase a brand new Drewtech J2534 and actively seek out re flashing work of newer cars , rather than a shop that only views re flashing as a necessary evil of the job dealing with newer cars, and will only try to get by as cheaply as possible with used modules and continuing to lease a J2534 tool only when a Chinese knock off J2534 doesn't work and they need to see if the Drew tech one can before giving up on trying to making a used module work..
        Last edited by Witsend; 04-04-2017, 11:25 PM.

Comment

• Matt
          • Dec 2008

The way I understand it is the installer does not have hassle with buying a subscription directly. The pay-per-use fee includes subscription cost, tool lease, and product support.

Comment

• Matt
            • Dec 2008

No free lunch

Looked into this a little further and there is a $20 per month "inactive fee" if you flash less than 2 times a month. Still not a bad price for someone wanting to get there feet wet installing software. The cost to flash is $125 per install, which I feel is reasonable, just retail that cost to customer. There is no mention of specific battery charger with flash capabilities that must be used while flashing with their kit I noticed too.

Comment

• Witsend
              Banned
              • Nov 2012

For $125 plus deposit per pop, Unless the car doesn't run and drive, I'ld just prefer to get the keys programmed with my Port Freight 08 and tell the customer where to bring it where they'll do it for $60.

Comment

• diesel71
                • Feb 2008

any information on programing a used module? I bet they only cover new and or updates to the module. flashing used modules is always sketchy.

Comment

• Matt
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by diesel71
                  any information on programing a used module? I bet they only cover new and or updates to the module. flashing used modules is always sketchy.
                  Fine print says no used modules. It also only covers GM back to 2001, I wonder what they expect you to do for 1996-2000?

Comment

• greasybob
                    • May 2008

Originally posted by Witsend
                    For $125 plus deposit per pop, Unless the car doesn't run and drive, I'ld just prefer to get the keys programmed with my Port Freight 08 and tell the customer where to bring it where they'll do it for $60.
                    So you think that you're rewriting the VIN ? Maybe not. Check this out, the story is this is a 2013 Caravan 3.6 with a PCM that wouldn't fire the no. 5 coil. A used part search brought me a PCM from a 2013 Chrysler 200 3.6. I rewrote the VIN so it would start. I saw right away that the calibration number was different but thought I would see what would happen if I tried a reflash. The J2534 program showed me both VINs the new and the original. No PCM flash available so the used PCM is a no go. It fires no.5 now but the APP voltage is wrong for the calibration. I haven't done much Chrysler flashing the last few years but as far as I can see with the new Chryslers there is no way to change the PCM other than the updates that are available for it or install new. The flash program is all inclusive with no manual down load as with the Legacy program. A lot of good reasons to avoid used modules. Just because Hollander says it's a match doesn't mean much, they should stick to crossing fenders and hoods.

Comment

• greasybob
                      • May 2008

The screen shots don't load ?

Comment

• greasybob
                        • May 2008

try again ?
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Witsend
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2012

So you think that you're rewriting the VIN ? Maybe not. Check this out, the story is this is a 2013 Caravan 3.6 with a PCM that wouldn't fire the no. 5 coil. A used part search brought me a PCM from a 2013 Chrysler 200 3.6. I rewrote the VIN so it would start. I saw right away that the calibration number was different but thought I would see what would happen if I tried a reflash. The J2534 program showed me both VINs the new and the original. No PCM flash available so the used PCM is a no go. It fires no.5 now but the APP voltage is wrong for the calibration. I haven't done much Chrysler flashing the last few years but as far as I can see with the new Chryslers there is no way to change the PCM other than the updates that are available for it or install new. The flash program is all inclusive with no manual down load as with the Legacy program. A lot of good reasons to avoid used modules. Just because Hollander says it's a match doesn't mean much, they should stick to crossing fenders and hoods.
                          If you stick to a used module with the same part number and tear tag, calibration from the same type of vehicle , you should be fine. Just change the VIN # to the correct Vin and relearn the crank if it worries you . A 4 year old 2013 Chrysler might be hard to find used in a Bone Yard , 10 years old Chryslers , GMs, and Fords though are a dime a dozen in junk yards and I think it be foolish to toss money at a brand new one , maybe a reman . Writing a VIN is basic coding and it's wrong that they make you buy a sub to rewrite VIN for some makes.

Comment

• bestdamgarage
                            • Apr 2016

Originally posted by Matt
                            Fine print says no used modules. It also only covers GM back to 2001, I wonder what they expect you to do for 1996-2000?
                            ive tried to flash 2 pre 2001 gm cars with ptp3 and both wouldnt work after a half hour on the phone with ac delco was told its to fast.It would require a tech 2.

Comment

• bestdamgarage
                              • Apr 2016

Originally posted by greasybob
                              i thought flashing chrysler can vehicles was a no go according to the drew tech website have you had success with them

Comment

Working...