can a modis be overloaded causing damage?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jlou
    • Sep 2018

can a modis be overloaded causing damage?

can a modis or any lab scope be overloaded and damaged? ive heard that you shouldnt try to measure more than its rated for.
    im having trouble comprehending that. can any one elaborate and give an example of what type of testing could possibly damage a lab scope.
    what is a modis edge maximum rating?
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Yes , scopes can be damaged if exposed to higher voltages than the selected range. If you select a 0 to 2 V range but accidentally touch 12 V , it likely just go out of scale and not smoke the scope or meter, but if back probing a fuel injector or primary circuit of a coil without a 20-1 attenuator you could damage a scope. I'm not sure but I think Snappy ones might already have them built in and you might get away with a mistake once in awhile.
    Know what time and voltage range of what you are testing typically works under and if unsure select the highest and gradually go down.

Comment

• kirkbarrow.garage
      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by jlou
      can a modis or any lab scope be overloaded and damaged? ive heard that you shouldnt try to measure more than its rated for.
      im having trouble comprehending that. can any one elaborate and give an example of what type of testing could possibly damage a lab scope.
      what is a modis edge maximum rating?

When I first started work, I was a ( big breath ) Radio, TV, Video, Audio & Satellite Technician.
      We used TMK700 multimeters and they often got components burnt out by being on the wrong range or setting across something wrong for the range they were set too ( still got my own personal one I bought and like new too ).
      My fiancé wanted to build her own solar panels from component parts, and I got her a reasonable digital multimeter and one day she said ‘ it doesn’t work, but it made a loud bang ‘ !
      After inspection, I concluded due to lack of experience she had accidentally placed the connections across 240 vac on the ohms range 😱😱😱😱
      So the conclusion is yes, things can be damaged by being set to incorrect range or settings 🤗🤗

Comment

Working...