Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • carrolc2
    • Oct 2013

Modis Ultra update or Verus trade?

I need some trade advice. My Modis is due for software update. Pay for 19.2, and get 19.4 free when it is available. Its $1000 for the update. My dealer has a Verus, I believe a D10? New, has not been able to sell it. He might be interested in trading for my Modis. What do you think? Older platform? 4 channel scope though and Bluetooth dongle. I am not sure if there is a great big advantage. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

I might be wrong , but you should Ask yourself , My older tool update has the trouble shooter and all that information integrated into the software. If I update, I will get access to much more better data base ,and more newer information.But How well does my Modis Ultra access the internet to the Altus Drive for all the extra time saving information. Will older platform hardware struggle more, accessing hand holding steps, connector views etc, that have now been increasingly getting moved off and up to the cloud and access to the information is becoming increasingly dependent on good internet connection. Now always keeping an active sub or be left with an expired support shell that may soon not offer much more in the line of help than a $1600 Chinaman tool if you let the update subs expire. I think I would Keep the Modis Ultra as is for older OBD2 and OBD1 with the old built in access trouble shooter where you can still access and see connector views without going online. It don't pay to be Penny wise but Dollar foolish if you run a production shop and you have a bunch of young guys fresh out of tech school needing direction with where to go with diagnosis , you want to keep the shop scanners up to date with access to the latest greatest information, however if you are a self employed retired Turdmudgin working mobilely or out of your garage drinking a cold one in Mayberry Mode and got Google and a few extra minutes there is a lot of free information out there, and it might not be enough value in always having an up to date scantool and something gets broken in an update you need to buy the next update for to fix.
    Last edited by Witsend; 02-24-2019, 09:47 AM.

Comment

• GypsyR
      • Jul 2017

Unless it's a Verus EDGE, I wouldn't. FYI, a Verus Edge has the exact same internal hardware as the latest and greatest Zeus. (Big secret, shhh.) The older Verus versions are good equipment but wouldn't really be a step up for you, more of a lateral move with little to no real gain. My 2 cents anyway.

Comment

• carrolc2
        • Oct 2013

Thanks for the input. Think I will just update my modis. I was really interested in the additional scope channels, but I could look at a Pico down the road. Like the Zeus, but way too much money for the individual tech. Really like the modis, has been a great tool for me. I worry about it going out of style, so to speak. I hope SO will continue to support it for a while.

Comment

Working...