Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbcox
    • Mar 2017

Airbag & Seatbelt Changes

Hello everyone. I found this forum while searching for a solution to a problem. I am in the process of modifying a Yukon XL for wheelchair access. There are a couple of companies out there than provide a great solution, but for only one wheelchair user. My wife and I both use power wheelchairs. I am a mechanical engineer with automotive design experience, so we decided to move forward with a local fabricator to build a one-off. Everything is going smoothly, except that we have an airbag light on (error in the SRS system) because we have removed the two front seats. As you know, the seats contain airbags, occupancy sensors, seat belt sensors, and pre-tensioners. The absence of the components in the seats is causing the system to shut down. I want the remaining airbags to work should we ever need them.

Basically, we have two options:
    1. Fool the controller into thinking the components are there by using bypass module(s)
    2. Reprogram the controller to not shut down when their absence is detected, or at least not look for them.

Option 1 is preferred because the seats are modular, so when we put them back in, we can unplug the bypass and plug in the OEM seat so that it goes back to OEM specs. Unfortunately, I have had no luck finding such a module, or finding someone to build it.

So, option two is what we are exploring now. Snap-on tells me the Passthru Pro will give me access to various options that I otherwise would not have access to, but cannot say definitively I have the necessary options to turn off the components in question since this is an odd question. That is understandable. They requested I call GM to verify, and of course that didn't go too far. I spent a couple of hours on the phone to finally be told they weren't sure and that the only option would be to buy a SI subscription and *maybe* information would be in some of the documents. They claimed no one could tell me for sure the information was there, that I would have to buy it to find out. I never even made it to the question if I needed GM specific software on my computer.

When searching for "J2534 GM", I stumbled on this forum. I am in hopes that some of you who work on these vehicles every day can give me some direction. I know that there has to be a solution out there, because the companies building the single wheelchair modifications aren't disabling the entire airbag system, even though they remove a front seat. Please give me your thoughts. I am open to anything at this point! Thank you!
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Think I would definitely buy the SI (sports illustrated ) subscription and then put all the removed airbags under the passenger presence sensor and situate the wife's seat just rearward of the open sunroof.
    You could monitor all the available air bag system pids of a properly operating system and see if it displays the measured circuit resistances, where you might be able to create resistor simulators, and try that . Be aware that a deployment scenario could possibly make any homemade resistor /simulator loop to become very hot and possibly become a source of ignition to a fire , so don't take this idea as something that would be safe to do without risk
    Last edited by Witsend; 03-16-2017, 10:23 AM.

Comment

• Glide
      • Jan 2015

The passthrupro,or any other J2534 device won't do you any good unless you can convince GM to write you a custom calibration and give you a VCI number to program the airbag module to your requirements.
      So your first step is to contact GM customer assistance again.They have programs for licenced upfitters,I don't know if the outfit you have doing your conversion is one of these.

Comment

• sbreland73
        • Jan 2009

As Glide stated, even using the OE tool (Tech 2) or Tech to Win, you can't "turn off" airbags. I would try contact those conversion companies that do ADA vans, perhaps they could assist in a solution. Keep in mind, the driver's seat on most vehicles has no weight detection, as it is assumed a someone other than a child is driving the vehicle. This leaves you with just the buckle and/or pre-tensionor issue, which is easy to mitigate. The Occupant Classification Sensor in the passenger seat cushion is to help the SRS system determine the stage of deployment for passenger air bags based on the persons weight. HTH
        S. Breland

Comment

• Glide
          • Jan 2015

You also have to understand that the SIR system is just that,a system.
          Having some parts of the system working and not others could result in injury rather than protection.
          Meeting an airbag face first without the benefit of seatbelt retractor and anchor pretensioners isn't something that I would recommend.That's why if one component fails(or is disconnected)the whole system shuts down.

Comment

• Witsend
            Banned
            • Nov 2012

I figure sometimes to accommodate special needs of morbidly obese or handicapped folk to give them vehicular mobility you have to get creative, customize , and bypass safety items meant for regular @ssholes. F@ck the Lawyers and Satetycrats, Steven Hawkins probably would say ,It's not like these people aren't already wheel chair bound.
            Last edited by Witsend; 03-16-2017, 06:59 PM.

Comment

• Crusty
              • Dec 2007

GM has a program to assist people with special needs. It would be worth your while to investigate what they can do to assist you.
              "GM Mobility" should have been something the call centre directed you to.

Maybe this link has some other options for you.

Best of luck. Hope things come out well for you.

Comment

• dbcox
                • Mar 2017

Thanks for the info guys! I have contacted GM until I am blue in the face. I think the issue is I am not a company building a prototype that will eventually go through crash testing like the other guys are. I can only assume they feel another layer of the incorporated modifier gives them more protection. I have even called friends who work in engineering for GM and they haven't been able to get anywhere internally either.

I think I am going to have to either forget the airbags all together, or try to find someone to build bypass modules.

Comment

Working...