Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Crusty
    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Scott 79
    Evidently my customers trust me more than that, and if it is someone that does not know me but "heard" about me, I simply explain that 95% of the time, an egr code is not an EGR valve problem.. and we won't limit this to Ford's DPFE sensor.. allot of blocked or restricted intake passages out there. The mighty P0171.. "I put an oxygen sensor in it and the light came back on".. well you should have let me check it. I never install a customer supplied part without discussing that I have NO liability if it does not fix the vehicle. Bring me a Fram oil filter and I will throw it in the woods and install my OEM filter, they have no choice there! If it were up to me, I would never install a customer supplied part but I also want to eat next week, so if I install a set of $16 brake pads begging them not to, I do not have to worry about the noise and the need for new ones in about 15K.. I just collect my $64 labor and send them on their way!
    First I hear what you're saying ...
    BUT... I would like to point out that you're concerned about blowing an engine up with your view on oil filters...but are you not concerned about someone being injured or maimed because of poor stopping ability with $16.00 brake pads-???

I would rather be concerned about safety and so what if the engine blows up.
    Not slamming you but ... Just sayin...

As for the thought that if you don't put them on, someone else will..... that's exactly what this thread is about.
    Professionalism.

MAVEN-!!!! See what YOU started-!!?? LOL

Comment

• ericsautomotive
      • Mar 2014

WTF

Customer parts have always made my labor time increase by at least 1/2 an hour. Not that I'm ripping people off ! ! I'm just not letting them rip me off. YOUR PART, YOUR PROBLEM !! Is warranty standards.
      As far as diagnostics.... Hell I don't trust anybodies diagnostics. Not even my own sometimes. LOL TEST, TEST AND RETEST. Prior to buying any parts.
      However I have been known to throw a couple of MAF sensor on when I have a good test unit lying around.... LOL
      Don't guess! Test !!

Comment

• MasterWrench
        • Oct 2006

There are many posts made by people there that I would LOVE to comment on...something like "someone actually pays you to fix cars" ... the complete lack of basic knowledge of some of these guys just amazes me...
        MasterWrench

Comment

• Nick_Taylor
          Administrator
          • Jan 2014

Originally posted by MasterWrench
          There are many posts made by people there that I would LOVE to comment on...something like "someone actually pays you to fix cars" ... the complete lack of basic knowledge of some of these guys just amazes me...
          I appreciate the restraint that most community members observe when dealing with these situations. Believe me, I want to say things like this myself but I just have to try and guide them to ask better questions. I'm not sure we can do more than that.
          SureTrack Community Administrator, Diagnostics forum Administrator.

Comment

• Crusty
            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by MasterWrench
            Originally posted by Nick_Taylor
            I appreciate the restraint that most community members observe when dealing with these situations. Believe me, I want to say things like this myself but I just have to try and guide them to ask better questions. I'm not sure we can do more than that.
            I agree with both of you. On the other hand people have been spewing the notion that the scan tool and codes is all you need to have to diagnose a vehicle, ever since the early 1980's in fact.
            All we can do is try to be professional and help people realize that they need to do more reading on their own. Then they need to do more testing on their own.
            IDENTAGUESS sure hasn't helped the professionalism of the trade either. It's simply toss parts according to popularity.

As Eric says, TEST, TEST, and RETEST.
            There is a lesson in the children's tale about the tortoise and the hare.

Comment

• Witsend
              Banned
              • Nov 2012

As Eric says, TEST, TEST, and RETEST.
              There is a lesson in the children's tale about the tortoise and the hare.
              Today 02:30 PM

Some tortoises don't want to run any races . They Sit quietly in the local watering hole half the day and let the hare run itself ragged, hare goes to the watering hole at the finish and ends up gets dragged to the bottom of the pond and eaten by the tortoise.
              Moral of the Story Kids, There's nothing wrong with a little hare in your mouth from the kitty. (Check you tube 1st)

Comment

• Crusty
                • Dec 2007

OK. Old Bull Young Bull
                Lets RUN over and xxxx one of them cows.....
                Naaaaw we'll WALK over and xxxx 'em all.

Comment

Working...