X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • howver1
    • Jan 2008

NO WINDOWS 7 for Verus Pro user's

To all:

Snap On will not be offering the software from the Verus Edge for Verus Pro users! PERIOD that is how it was put to me.

I spoke with Snap On today and the answer I got was the Verus Edge is a different machine the software will not run on the Verus Pro. I stated that the Verus Pro meets all the requirements to run Windows 7 so why not? The answer was I dont know all I know is it will not be offered.

What a load of SH_T snap on. I will be rethinking my next scan tool purchase.
  • Joe Rappa
    Snap-on DSD
    • Aug 2007

There has been lot of talk from customers about this. I'm NOT looking to make anyone mad. Just looking for a matter-of-fact answer.

The Verus, Verus Wireless and Verus Pro are certainly not the fastest processors out there. They are plenty fast to run the scanner software, but I wouldn't run too much other stuff on it. I think running XP puts them at their performance limit. Why would anyone need Windows 7?
    XP has been a great OS. It's still supported. Why the push for 7? What does it offer?

Joe
    "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
    Henry Ford

Comment

• howver1
      • Jan 2008

Why Windows 7

Hi Joe,

Good question, then why did Snap On use Windows 7 on the Verus Edge? Instead of just using XP?

You are right XP has been a good OS, getting a little old, Windows 7 is a little faster and also a good OS, a bit newer and proven.

Why not offer it to their loyal scan tool user's, obviously Snap On has made some changes or they would not have changed the OS.

Just saying.

Comment

• andre104623
        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by howver1
        Hi Joe,

Good question, then why did Snap On use Windows 7 on the Verus Edge? Instead of just using XP?

You are right XP has been a good OS, getting a little old, Windows 7 is a little faster and also a good OS, a bit newer and proven.

Why not offer it to their loyal scan tool user's, obviously Snap On has made some changes or they would not have changed the OS.

Just saying.
        If you want a honest answer no one is holding you back from upgrading to windows 7. I could update my verdict d7 to windows 7 if I wanted to question is why? XP is a great work OS and perfect platform for snap on's software. Newer isnt always better remember that stick with XP

Comment

• Modis500
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by andre104623
          Newer isnt always better remember that stick with XP
          This is today's society .... They bought something two years ago knowing the pace that technology changes, then gripe when the company give them an answer they don't like... They are a business... Not unicef-they obviously want you to spend more $ on the newer and better. So your "next purchase" will speak volumes if you don't buy from them... As the common reply for the younger group goes- Just Sayin'!
          "If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time!"
          Zig Ziglar

Comment

• Witsend
            Banned
            • Nov 2012

I never did it on a Verdict or Verus before, but anyone ever try to Ubangi with Ubuntu? Anyone ever try to run Ubuntu with Windows on a Verus ? It works better on old hardware challenged PC's for surfing than windows, and since it is Linux based,pretty resistant to viruses. You won't be able to access your Verus software in UBuntu, but you should be able to select Ubuntu or windows on start up if you plan to use the Verus to surf the internet more safely and quicker. It also comes with a handy disc health checker ,so you know how many bad sectors are on the drive

Comment

• Crusty
              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by andre104623
              If you want a honest answer no one is holding you back from upgrading to windows 7. I could update my verdict d7 to windows 7 if I wanted to question is why? XP is a great work OS and perfect platform for snap on's software. Newer isnt always better remember that stick with XP
              I'm very glad someone else recognizes that "new and improved" may be "new" but isn't very often "improved".....LMAO-!!

If the machine functions as designed, why mess with it-?? It works...LOL....DON'T "improve" it and BREAK IT-!! LOL

Comment

• jm43130
                • Apr 2008

Some of us just bought a Verus Pro recently. I just got mine in APril 2015. 6 months ago, Snapon had to know then they were going to offer something new. Now if I want Windows 7, I basically have to spend another 5 grand and loose. The Edge you have to buy Obd 1 connectors also. Just always second guessing, what if?

Comment

• howver1
                  • Jan 2008

All good answers

Hey all,

I agree newer is not always better. I am happy with the way my Verus Pro performs.

I called Snap On to ask a couple question, and I think if most of you were on my end of the phone when the Snap On person with the I dont care attitude gave their you might have a different view on this post.

I was questioning for what if I wanted TSB's on my Verus Pro would they be offering the 7 version for the Pro user's to get this ability or what if the newer version is better and more stable.

I guess if the person on the other end of the phone replied like they were sypathetic and cared about their end user's I would not have posted!

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                    Snap-on DSD
                    • Aug 2007

Fair enough. A lot of that stuff gets lost in the translation. Nobody likes that!

Joe
                    "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
                    Henry Ford

Comment

• Wheel
                      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Crusty
                      I'm very glad someone else recognizes that "new and improved" may be "new" but isn't very often "improved".....LMAO-!!

Remember new stands for"Never Ever Worked" and "new and improved" often only refers to the price.

If the machine functions as designed, why mess with it-?? It works...LOL....

Don't you wish automakers would follow that advice?

DON'T "improve" it and BREAK IT-!! LOL
                      ... Like they did to the Verus scanner software when 10.4 came out???
                      You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• alwayslearnin
                        • Feb 2013

Hi, does anyone know when the verus edge is due for release in the UK? Thanks for any info on this guys

Comment

• Tnastear
                          • Dec 2015

I have been running the Verus Pro for a. Few years now and it has been great. I recently went to work at ford and purchased a Vcm and added the ids software to my Verus. The only problem I have is for certain jobs I need the newest version of Internet explorer. Windows doesn't offer the updates internet explorer for xp. The machine is plenty fast to handle multiple softwares and multitasking. Especially if you upgrade the ram. Has any one tried upgrading to Windows 7 or 8? Will the snap on software still run on 7?

Comment

• Wheel
                            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Tnastear
                            I have been running the Verus Pro for a. Few years now and it has been great. I recently went to work at ford and purchased a Vcm and added the ids software to my Verus. The only problem I have is for certain jobs I need the newest version of Internet explorer. Windows doesn't offer the updates internet explorer for xp. The machine is plenty fast to handle multiple softwares and multitasking. Especially if you upgrade the ram. Has any one tried upgrading to Windows 7 or 8? Will the snap on software still run on 7?
                            The only way to go from xp to 7 on ANY computer is with a clean install.
                            This will of course also overwrite all the Snap On programming.
                            So unless the Snap On programming could be bought and installed from scratch, you would have an underpowered Windows 7 tablet only instead of a top of the line aftermarket scanner. Your choice.
                            You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• Nandor690
                              • Jul 2013

Not true. You can upgrade to windows 7 without a clean install. What is also not true is being able to just update the verus to windows 7. This is not regular XP. It's XP embedded. So just upgrading to windows 7 won't work. I have tried. All the drivers work but you will not get the Diagnostic Suite to load. I'm sure it's probably possible somehow. The closest I got was the suite splash screen to load about 90% but it would never fully open. There are some fail safes in there, such as the software being directly tied to that particular computer, for snap on to not let this happen because then you could just clone your hard drive and put it in any old computer. BUT, you can clone your hard drive to another hard drive and then use that clone in your verus if the original should ever die. I should have realized that before I tried. I didn't even think about it being XP embedded until it was to late.
                              Some fun facts I found while trying this.
                              There is a hidden 7.34 GB partition with the boot files for the Paragon RAM disk. This is nice to know because you can put that on a USB and boot straight from it if you ever need to. I had to because after the windows 7 update, it would no longer give me the prompt to boot into the recovery when you first start the machine. The ram disk is pretty much just a boot loader. It stills needs to be able to find the recovery that's on the hard drives and the files on the D: partition to actually do anything. FYI, you can't just simple copy and paste the RAM disk files to a USB and boot from it.
                              Another thing I found while doing this is that there is actually 234 GB's of unallocated space on the end of the hard drive. I formatted it to ntfs and now have another E: partition with 230 GB of free space. It kind of baffles me why snap on would do that.
                              So no, I wouldn't try to upgrade to windows 7. I found out the hard way lol.
                              I am going to upgrade it to an ssd and upgrade the ram once the warranty runs out tho. I would actually prefer snap on to put ssd in them than worry about windows 7 imho

Comment

Working...