Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

There is nothing wrong with discontinuing further new updates of old platforms but telling you that you got only a 6 month window to be able to buy the final update for the cost of what a new Chinaman platform would run you with a year of updates is a tough pill to swallow.
    It's not wise to rush folk telling them , it's now or never to update, because budget challenged bottom feeders that work on older cars that would be willing to pay $600 a couple years later down road to purchase a cheap $1000 Verus and then purchase Legacy 17.2 update in 2019 when they actually need that new a coverage than opting to get a new Chinaman platform with a year of updates and never looking back.The Verus and all discontinued platforms would hold their value a little better if you could buy the final updates 5 years later, (especially if software got corrupted and needed a reinstall later)

Comment

• Wheel
      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Witsend
      There is nothing wrong with discontinuing further new updates of old platforms

When it is truly time, yes - but not before

but telling you that you got only a 6 month window to be able to buy the final update for the cost of what a new Chinaman platform would run you with a year of updates is a tough pill to swallow.
      It's not wise to rush folk telling them , it's now or never to update, because budget challenged bottom feeders that work on older cars that would be willing to pay $600 a couple years later down road to purchase a cheap $1000 Verus and then purchase Legacy 17.2 update in 2019 when they actually need that new a coverage than opting to get a new Chinaman platform with a year of updates and never looking back.The Verus and all discontinued platforms would hold their value a little better if you could buy the final updates 5 years later, (especially if software got corrupted and needed a reinstall later)
      You nailed it here. They are certainly throwing away a great opportunity to rake in no telling how much more money by offering the last update to a tool
      whenever you want it.
      You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• SnapOnKid
        • Jan 2011

What a dissapointment. So that's 7 years out of the second gen...Wireless version 325 model...

I was considering getting The new Verus Edge But I must say I am disgusted learning this.

I have yet to see one in person to see if I like it.i was not impressed by the changes with the Pro to warrant the change.

I am not sure I want to continue supporting a company that change's products every few years and is quick to discontinue support and software thereafter.

Especially since I keep my software current.

Comment

• Wheel
          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by SnapOnKid
          What a dissapointment. So that's 7 years out of the second gen...Wireless version 325 model...

Bought my !st gen. in 2008 when they 1st came out I think the latter half of the year, We’ll say about 8 ½ years of support which is very poor for an 8 – 10k tool that sold well and isn’t having difficulty handling updates yet, and comparing the support that was given the brick, soluses, and Modis. No excuse. It gets worse – the Verus wireless only came about after the Verdict and the 10.4 catastrophe. 2011, maybe? That gives it only about 5 – 5 1/2 years support. Acceptable for an 8 – 10k tool? You tell me.
          Because they share xp, how long before the Verus Pro and Verdict get canned? Another year? If they can a tool 5 years after bringing it out, what makes the Verus, Modis, or Solus Edge owners think they will fare any better? If they can a tool that is still holding its own, then what is to stop them from doing the same to your new tool whenever they just feel like it? They got your money, now you’re stuck.

I was considering getting The new Verus Edge But I must say I am disgusted learning this.

Kinda makes ya have a lot of doubts and misgivings on what would have otherwise been a slam – dunk purchase, right? This is exactly the point I’m trying to make.

I have yet to see one in person to see if I like it.i was not impressed by the changes with the Pro to warrant the change.

I am not sure I want to continue supporting a company that change's products every few years and is quick to discontinue support and software thereafter.

continued next post
          You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• Wheel
            • Jul 2007

The Edge ain’t bad. I’ve had a chance to mess with one a while and here’s what I think:
            Boot up to ready to scan time ain’t bad, although my “OLD OBSOLETE” Verus ain’t all that much slower with its ssd & 1gb ram upgrades. Edge is fast, quiet, light. Has Windows 7, a usb3 port, and comes in a real handy kit bag as opposed to the clumsy clamshell boxes It finally has an ssd, but it should have been larger than the 60 gb it has – more like 128 or better still 256 gb. (there’ll be a flurry to replace these after warranty I’ll wager). The directional buttons the Pro and Verdict are equipped with will certainly
            be missed because the touchscreen can be a bit stubborn & cumbersome at times. Unlike its predecessors, the onscreen keyboard has a nasty habit of CONTINUALLY displacing and rearranging your Windows desktop icons EVERYTIME it pops up.
            It also will not boot up with a micro sd card in place or a usb drive attached and they have once more password locked the bios again so you can’t see if you can fix the bootup problem. With the lack of harddrive capacity, you really need that card and it working right The newer software has some nice advantages, but in live scanning, the old 10.2
            features lost to us mop the floor with the way the new software works, and the new scope preset method is almost useless compared to the old way. I probably need to make a comparison video & post it to Youtube.

Before Snap On pulled this stunt, I would have highly recommended the Edge to you, but for this reason I can’t – I’m sorry.

It’s not that they don’t make a good product – they do. It’s just instead of having your back, they now stab you in it. This is why I’m done buying any scanners or scopes from them from now on unless they honor their responsibility to their customers like they once did with the Brick.

Snap On has some really gifted and dedicated employees building, fixing, and helping us with our problems with these things – it’s just too bad there are too many Obamas and Hillarys running things & making mistakes.

Comment

• Witsend
              Banned
              • Nov 2012

Oh well , always be Diagnostic Tool Archeologists scavenging for Dirt cheap Fossils of Once Majestic Beasts.

Comment

• Wheel
                • Jul 2007

Oh well , always be Diagnostic Tool Archeologists scavenging for Dirt cheap Fossils of Once Majestic Beasts.
                The bright side is you might get a good deal on a like new discontinued Verus Edge in 4 or 5 years. Just make sure it has the latest update because Snap On won't help you or themselves by selling it to you later.

Comment

• SnapOnKid
                  • Jan 2011

10.4 was the end of 2010. I bought the Gen 2 wireless verus at that time.

Unfortunately with the cost of these units being so high and how fast they go obsolete the dealers in my area don't carry them on the trucks. Supposedly there is a Diagnostic guy that demo's these products that works for snap on and assists the dealers as needed. I have yet to meet the New guy and hopefully he is better than the last guy.

If only I wasn't over qualified for the position...

Comment

• Witsend
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2012

I think my challenged budget for a complete new platform is only about what an update for a Verus runs, maybe $1250.Use it for 3 years as is, Keep it as is, and get the newer replacement. The Insides of all scanners comes from the same God forsaken Hong Kong Phooey places anyway.I think a large busy shop can justify the cost of the best you can get, but a regular tech doesn't want to assume an equivalent of a car note to payoff to find updates have been discontinued. These things are so pricey that it would be wise to still support it with still being able to purchase the final update up to 5 years later (sliding scale cost be half price after 5 years)

Last edited by Witsend; 11-14-2016, 08:13 AM.

Comment

• Wheel
                      • Jul 2007

Unfortunately with the cost of these units being so high and how fast they go obsolete the dealers in my area don't carry them on the trucks.
                      Maybe they're on to something? Maybe we should follow suit?

Comment

• Wheel
                        • Jul 2007

I think my challenged budget for a complete new platform is only about what an update for a Verus runs, maybe $1250.Use it for 3 years as is, Keep it as is, and get the newer replacement. The Insides of all scanners comes from the same God forsaken Hong Kong Phooey places anyway.I think a large busy shop can justify the cost of the best you can get, but a regular tech doesn't want to assume an equivalent of a car note to payoff to find updates have been discontinued. These things are so pricey that it would be wise to still support it with still being able to purchase the final update up to 5 years later (sliding scale cost be half price after 5 years)

https://racine.craigslist.org/tls/5834229259.html
                        People and shops who can't afford a new verus edge might could afford an older verus and/or an update for one they already own and be in business. Not so now. A lose - lose situation.

Comment

• 737mechanic
                          • Sep 2016

Originally posted by Wheel
                          People and shops who can't afford a new verus edge might could afford an older verus and/or an update for one they already own and be in business. Not so now. A lose - lose situation.
                          I am the perfect example. I run a small mobile auto repair business on the side and thought that the snap on verus would be a good investment for many years to come. I now regret buying a verus and wish I would have bought the Autel Maxisys. The price of the Autel is lower and the updates are cheaper and if they do it the same as they did the maxidas they will give at least a three year window when they plan to quit the updates not six months like snap on.

I would still love to hear the official reason they are giving up on the verus because it still had plenty of power to do what it needed to do.

Comment

• Witsend
                            Banned
                            • Nov 2012

The original Verus and the Verus Wireless probably were discontinued from production and not sold brand new for quite a few years already but the last update for it will be next year. That is not so bad , but the bad part is you can't buy the final update of any of the no longer supported older scan tools in the event the older unit software becomes damaged or you'll need the present new car coverage a few years later and be able to buy Final Legacy updates at a reduced cost.
                            The Port Freight 08 was discontinued from production this year and hardware support ends 2017 , update able possibly till 2020, but from what I can tell , the updates are fewer and farther between ,not much of it been updated since my tool expired since mid 2014. The Manufacturer version numbers on some makes increased by a couple decimal points where other version numbers went up an entire whole number or more. Not sure why, but afraid to update it for fear that some software changes might dumb down some of it's original functionality. After Maxi Cyst debut the former flagship Port Freight 08 coding abilities got listed on comparison chart as minimal and maxi Cyst coding abilities got listed as advanced. They never were able to give me any good examples of needed coding abilities a newer maxi cyst possesses that I would not also find on older slower Port Freight 08. I work on older beaters so if i find a working Verus with 10.4 3 years down the road from now for $500 (if my ancient Counselor 2 dies) and then can buy the Final Legacy 17.2 or 17.4 for $600- $700 (half the original cost ) snappy could still make a few bones off me and other budget challenged folk still using retro snap on scanners instead of buying a new Chinaman tool. There's a lot more choices out there . 25 year old Snap On Ratchet head replacements can be obtained, why not the final software updates of retro scan tools for 10 years (in event you want it or need it)

Comment

• Crusty
                              • Dec 2007

Something for people to think about is, does the darned thing turn on and plug in-??

SnapOn hasn't been in the habit of putting the newest and fastest hardware components into their scanners. They balance the cost of components with production numbers. The vehicle manufacturers don't put aerospace quality components into their vehicles either. The hardware does what it was originally designed to do. It does that. Maybe not at breakneck speeds, but it does operate.

So, one has a software version of perhaps 15.4, it will turn on and plug into a 2014 vehicle, and older vehicles. As long as the equipment isn't "punted" across the room, it will do that for many years to come.

Occasionally I pull out a scan tool that was originally purchased in 1988 and updated last in 1996 for an older vehicle. The technology of the scanner and the technology of the vehicle are compatible. It still works.

Sometimes the newest latest and greatest software is actually a downgrade to something that the older stuff used to do but got culled out of newer equipment.

Sometimes the newest latest and greatest IS required because a newer technology vehicle is in our bay. They call it "progress"-!! (LMAO)

A brand new Ford laptop based scan tool needs to find an internet connection the minute it is turned on, while it searches for a current subscription, or it will NOT even "turn on and plug in". And it ONLY does Ford.

One SnapOn scanner I have (originally purchased circa early 2008) will plug in and turn on and allow me to complete the tasks on vehicles 2015 and older and it will do that next year, and the next, and the next.

Yes I do see the odd 2017 MY vehicle, and some 2016 as well. The vast majority of the vehicles we see are 2015 and older.

ALL my SnapOn scanners perform the needed tasks (for the most part) on over 95% of the vehicles that we are faced with.

As for the scope portion, yes it is "handy" to have connection and component "prompts", but critical thinking skills will still tell you that a scope is voltage/time, regardless of what year/make/model. There are advantages/disadvantages to not having the "all-in-one" kit.

There is no magical, do it all, forever, wave a flag, tell the mechanic what part needs replacing, wipe your nose, wipe the other end too, piece of kit.

I hope they don't go the way of vehicle manufacturers where you need an internet connection and subscription 24/7/365 just to say hello.

I'm glad they plug in, turn on, and function.

Comment

• BMW JEDI
                                • Feb 2012

Excellent Post, Crusty!

Comment

Working...