Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wareauto
    • Mar 2017

Programming no communication 4399

I have a 1997 Chevy Venture, original problem was map sensor. Traced problem to computer. Replaced computer with reman, unable to program...comes up with code 4399. Replaced with another reman, used, and new one...all come up with the code 4399 no communication. Put old computer back in, came up with the same code when trying to reprogram. Not an issue with vehicle battery voltage, that's good. Check all power and ground, fuses, trace wiring. All ok. Took computer to parts store to be benched programmed. Same problem with them...code 4399. Took vehicle and computers to another shop for programming, same problem..even when they tried tech II. Replaced BCM, same problem...4399 no communication. Any ideas?
  • Glide
    • Jan 2015

What j2534 setup did you initially use to attempt programming?

Comment

• wareauto
      • Mar 2017

J2534 Pass thru pro II

Comment

• carfixer
        • Apr 2015

what exactly is the code description?

Comment

• Glide
          • Jan 2015

Originally posted by wareauto
          J2534 Pass thru pro II
          Have you ever successfully programmed any ECMs with your current setup?
          You must be getting 4399 error during a programming event as this is not a code that would be read by a scan tool.If this is so,then you will have to contact ACDelco help line.After a programming error, modules are usually ruined.
          Or buy a preprogrammed ECM for this vehicle.

Comment

• jm43130
            • Apr 2008

I have ran this recently on gm's . I have to select replace and program module, then it will usually work. Seems like if you just select reprogram tab, it passes this error code. Also recently installed a srs moodule in a gm van, and it wouldn't let me program with latest program. I was able to select next up the tree program and it went right through.

Comment

• jables2006
              • Dec 2015

E4399 is generally related to a communication loss between the module & the programming tool. Could also be due to a drop in battery voltage, aftermarket components, connections, wiring issues, or a delay or interruption in the data transmission into the module.

Comment

• wrenchtamer
                • May 2017

Above post sounds kind of like describing all the reasons every flash has ever failed,ever. Like techline😝.

Comment

• bestdamgarage
                  • Apr 2016

call acdelco and i'll bet thet say the pass through is to fast anything aroubd 2001 and older wont program because the j box is to fast ran into this twice already

Comment

• wrenchtamer
                    • May 2017

Try bench flashing. On an 01 all you need is powers grounds and serial. I use a cardaqplus2 which is the same as the jbox2.

Comment

• Tech10
                      • Mar 2008

There's many different devices and ways to program a module, I'm not sure what you have tried. As others have said bench programming is the best way for this vehicle since you are having issues, it eliminates any possible issues that are caused by the vehicle. Now that leaves 4 devices that could be used a J2534 device, Tech2, MDI and MDI2. I Would suggest using the Tech2, and using the Tech2 you have 3 ways of programming there's Tech2 Remote, Tech2 Legacy Pass-Thru and J2534 Tech2. I would start with Remote, it is not uncommon that it might take a few times to complete successfully. I have had no issues programming older vehicles using Tech2 Remote on the bench and TIS 2000 also using TIS2WEB has not been an issue.

Comment

• Witsend
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2012

Bench Programming wiring set up

So do you go to the bone yard and cut off common Ecm and DLC connectors with a good length of the harness wiring, then isolate the wires you got to use and cut away or extract the terminals and wires you won't be using? I would think as soon as you power up the ecm on bench , it would set every hard code imaginable and not let you do anything with it .

Comment

• Tech10
                          • Mar 2008

Yes the junk yard is a good place to get the connectors you need, you could also use individual wires if need be. Use the wiring diagram to guide you. Maybe a half dozen wires on the blue ECM connector for this one. As far as the DTCs they can just be cleared once the module is installed if they are there.

Comment

• wrenchtamer
                            • May 2017

That's right. It's the easiest especially the first few times. It will set codes but only for one trip ccm components. As said, pull the pinout for the ecu and hook up EVERY power and ground input including constant power as well as switched from ignition. You know the dlc has everything needed to flash it so it's a nice way to work. I think on this one it's going to be just the powers and grounds and serial data line which I think is purple at the dlc but of course check to be sure. The other nice thing about this method is there is no question of some appliance on the vehicle killing your battery or disrupting your power supply. and when you are done you have a permanent harness you can use next time. Just take the power wires when you find them, crimp them together and fuse them and you can use a jump box for the flashing process. I do all kinds of ecus this way and now I have built myself a nice bench just for this. I do clusters, ecms, all kinds of stuff. Also if you ever want to get in to sniffing bus traffic this method will help you as well. Being a teacher it's worth it for me to set it up permanently for demos and stuff. Please feel free to message me if you have any other questions.

Comment

Working...