Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Matt
    • Dec 2008

Why are you a Mechanic?

So what drives you to fix cars/trucks for a living? Does it hone you skills so you can apply them to personal projects ie. hot rods, muscle cars, off road rig, speed boat, circle track?? Did you start in this industry when you were younger with less aches and pains and now have too much vested (tools/experience) to leave? Is it the connection with customers and satisfaction knowing you provided them with reliable/safe transportation?
    At the end of a hard day I will ask myself why am I doing this and is it worth it? My ambition tank will get pretty low and I have to find some core reasoning to keep moving on. I'm curious what drives everyone in this profession. I was attracted to automotive repair, at a young age, for the muscle cars. All my toys are gone now and replaced with bills for braces, glasses, dance lessons, 4-H projects, etc. My customers keep me coming back however.
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Sometimes I think I need this line of work like I need a hole in the head.Guess there is satisfaction of breaking things down into pieces and putting things back together like new again. Sometimes you have to draw the line though between performing a miracle on something and foolishness and not doing what Jesus wouldn't do.
    Last edited by Witsend; 04-06-2017, 07:49 AM.

Comment

• greasybob
      • May 2008

I kinda grew into it from fixing farm equipment. I stay at it because it's a P.I.T.A. and I get to get dirty and get to use a welder and a torch. A cushy job just wouldn't do.

Comment

• kirkbarrow.garage
        • Jan 2015

Why 😱

I started life as a Radio, TV, Video, Satellite and Audio technician, who also placed radio and tv aerials on and in roofs.
        Got my own vehicles and obviously worked on them because I could not afford dealer prices.
        Then got made redundant twice inside 14 months and found I could get qualified as a vehicle technician at college on a course subsidised by college itself, found after I had finished the first year I had to pay for the exams, and around 100 over three years ����
        Coped with this, and kept getting better and now a licensed vehicle inspector too.
        For fun, in my time off ( if I get any ���� ) I fix busted tablets and cell phones and build tower pcs and improve/repair laptops.

Comment

• Witsend
          Banned
          • Nov 2012

You are a kid growing up listening to the Beach Boys Hot Rod songs, you romanticize get into the business and later it turns into a heavy metal grind, but because you are a Heavy Metal Masochist at heart , you stick it out because you still get some sort of satisfaction out making Order out of Entropy.
          Last edited by Witsend; 04-21-2017, 06:22 AM.

Comment

• David Green
            • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Witsend
            Sometimes I think I need this line of work like I need a hole in the head.Guess there is satisfaction of breaking things down into pieces and putting things back together like new again. Sometimes you have to draw the line though between performing a miracle on something and foolishness and not doing what Jesus wouldn't do.
            Jesus would never do our job, he told his followers to give up their jobs and follow him, something like save up your treasures in heaven where mouths and rust don't consume

Comment

• David Green
              • Oct 2009

Originally posted by kirkbarrow.garage
              I started life as a Radio, TV, Video, Satellite and Audio technician, who also placed radio and tv aerials on and in roofs.
              Got my own vehicles and obviously worked on them because I could not afford dealer prices.
              Then got made redundant twice inside 14 months and found I could get qualified as a vehicle technician at college on a course subsidised by college itself, found after I had finished the first year I had to pay for the exams, and around 100 over three years ����
              Coped with this, and kept getting better and now a licensed vehicle inspector too.
              For fun, in my time off ( if I get any ���� ) I fix busted tablets and cell phones and build tower pcs and improve/repair laptops.
              I have this 42" TV LCD and a part of the viewing area has dark shady lines appearing, please advise if you can, does those shady areas mean the TV is on its last legs ?

Comment

• kirkbarrow.garage
                • Jan 2015

Shady lines

Originally posted by David Green
                I have this 42" TV LCD and a part of the viewing area has dark shady lines appearing, please advise if you can, does those shady areas mean the TV is on its last legs ?

Sorry for delay to reply, there does not seem to be any way of pointing out replies to something here, but without seeing the item, and looking closely, I could not give an honest reply sorry.

Comment

• David Green
                  • Oct 2009

Thanks for replying, the screen area now on dark scenes towards the right side central area has or appears to have like a permanent dark shadow, however having adjusted the contrast and brightness, the TV viewing is OK and you can't see the shadow unless very dark scenes. I thought it might of been something on the surface of the screen, but am wrong, so just going to leave it until its not view-able.

Comment

• Dashinoku
                    • Aug 2016

I grew up watching my old man work on cars, So i was molded into it i guess

After i thought i learned all theres is to learn on basic street mech knowledge i went to UTI to become better

Comment

• Matt
                      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Dashinoku
                      I grew up watching my old man work on cars, So i was molded into it i guess

After i thought i learned all theres is to learn on basic street mech knowledge i went to UTI to become better
                      I grew up in my dad's small shop too. I spent a lot of hours at the 'ol solvent tank cleaning parts at an early age. I guess I entered into the industry because it was familiar to me.

Comment

Working...