X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Aftermarket wheels and factory wheel torque

Got a 2004 Lincoln Navigator with new aftermarket wheels with smaller outer diameter nuts . Factory wheel nut diameter is like 7/8' torque is a whopping 150ft lbs, These aftermarket ones have regular tapered nuts of smaller outer diameter of 3/4 and I definitely have a gut feeling 150ft lb factory torque spec is too much. What's a good rule of thumb for dealing with this sh@t?
    Attached Files
  • BRIAN617
    • Dec 2016

Hit them with the Port Freight impact until they quit turning...

Comment

• Tech_A
      • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Witsend
      Got a 2004 Lincoln Navigator with new aftermarket wheels with smaller outer diameter nuts . Factory wheel nut diameter is like 7/8' torque is a whopping 150ft lbs, These aftermarket ones have regular tapered nuts of smaller outer diameter of 3/4 and I definitely have a gut feeling 150ft lb factory torque spec is too much. What's a good rule of thumb for dealing with this sh@t?
      Make sure you have a clause in your work order that waives the liability of non OEM components.

I'd always warn people about how unsafe that sh*t is and that it might break under the prescribed specifications.

Comment

• Witsend
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

Make sure you have a clause in your work order that waives the liability of non OEM components.

I'd always warn people about how unsafe that sh*t is and that it might break under the prescribed specifications.
        A disclaimer waiver won't keep someone from puttin a cap in ur @zz
        Last edited by Witsend; 06-24-2017, 07:46 PM.

Comment

• JamesO
          • Dec 2014

Nut size does not really dictate the torque requirement/capability, it has more to do with the stud size/diameter.

The torque is to provide the proper "clamp load" for the wheel to hub interface, however, I might be a bit concerned as the wheels seem to have a dual bolt pattern and the tapered lug nuts on the hub face could be an issue. The tapered lug nut can act as a wedge as well.

You might want to try to contact the wheel manufacturer to verify if the wheels can handle the 150 fl/lb torque requirement.

Comment

• Witsend
            Banned
            • Nov 2012

Nut size does not really dictate the torque requirement/capability, it has more to do with the stud size/diameter.

The torque is to provide the proper "clamp load" for the wheel to hub interface, however, I might be a bit concerned as the wheels seem to have a dual bolt pattern and the tapered lug nuts on the hub face could be an issue. The tapered lug nut can act as a wedge as well.

You might want to try to contact the wheel manufacturer to verify if the wheels can handle the 150 fl/lb torque requirement.
            I'm thinking with the dual bolt pattern, and much smaller area the smaller aftermarket lugnuts have to work against, that the OE 150 ft lb torque spec would exceed the wheel manufacturer's maximum torque limit, especially for a dual pattern wheel with less than a half inch of material between the holes.
            I torqued all the nuts to 110ft lbs and left the centers off and sent the customer back to the place that sold him the wheels to do the final torque of the new wheels to whatever the wheel manufacturer specifies. I figure if your wife accidentally steps on your nuts in gym shoes it's not as damaging as if she's wearing stilettos, so take it easy on the smaller aftermarket nuts if your cruising the ghettos.

Comment

• Witsend
              Banned
              • Nov 2012

I'm thinking with the dual bolt pattern, and much smaller area the smaller aftermarket lugnuts have to work against, that the OE 150 ft lb torque spec would exceed the wheel manufacturer's maximum torque limit, especially for a dual pattern wheel with less than a half inch of material between the holes.
              I torqued all the nuts to 110ft lbs and left the centers off and sent the customer back to the place that sold him the wheels to do the final torque of the new wheels to whatever the wheel manufacturer specifies. I figure if your wife accidentally steps on your nuts in gym shoes it's not as damaging as if she's wearing stilettos, so take it easy on the smaller aftermarket nuts if your cruising the ghettos.

Comment

• JamesO
                • Dec 2014

Yea, I am NOT a fan of dual bolt pattern wheels for the reason that there is material missing adjacent to the bolt mounting surface.

150 ft/lb is high, but I guess this is due to the 6 bolt pattern and the vehicle load capability. Assume this may not be required except under extreme loading and/or towing situations.

Not sure why the nuts are smaller, assume these wheel have center caps to cover the ugly dual bolt pattern holes. Wonder why the OE lug nuts were not used.

Sometimes things do not make sense.

Comment

Working...