X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rangie1980
    • Jun 2014

Recalibrate Speedometer

Recalibrate Speedometer:
    Can I recalibrate a Speedometer on a 2011 Chevy 1500 Pick Up for Different size tires?
    The Local Chevy Dealer wants $800 for recalibrate!
  • David Green
    • Oct 2009

I suppose you should consider the net difference in road speed by changing the tyre sizes first. If you reduce the tyre sizes the wheel speed will increase and if you increase the tyre size the wheel speed will reduce, but by how much?

Would it be that significant to justify spending the money?

Comment

• Modis500
      • Sep 2012

Yes, in functional tests you can input or change tire sizes. I have done this on a 2007 Silverado and my personal 2005 Envoy.
      "If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time!"
      Zig Ziglar

Comment

• rangie1980
        • Jun 2014

Thanks for the replies

The truck is a company truck
        The truck has new tires.
        The new tires are bigger then the original tires
        The speedometer is 5-9 miles off
        The speedometer is reading lower then the actual vehicle speed
        The driver got a speeding ticket, so now I need to recalibrate speedometer

Comment

• Joe Rappa
          Snap-on DSD
          • Aug 2007

Originally posted by rangie1980
          The truck is a company truck
          The truck has new tires.
          The new tires are bigger then the original tires
          The speedometer is 5-9 miles off
          The speedometer is reading lower then the actual vehicle speed
          The driver got a speeding ticket, so now I need to recalibrate speedometer
          As Modis500 said, the functional test is probably there. If you want to know for sure, ID the truck into the scanner. The function will be in ABS, or maybe Stability Control. You don't need to be plugged into the truck to check if the function is there.
          This capability started getting added about 18 months ago, so not every truck is in there yet.

Joe
          "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
          Henry Ford

Comment

• Witsend
            Banned
            • Nov 2012

Some times there isn't an actual tire size menu but a Revs per mile entry you have to measure the circumference of the tire assembly and do the math.
            A jacked up Texas Donk with over sized tires and Chrome testicles hanging off the bumper is likely compensation for a shorter measurement someplace else.

Comment

• maven
              • Mar 2014

I posted on Suretrack Rangie but I saw this too...
              You can on some vehicles go into the EBCM and change the tire size. This however isnt available as an option on your truck in question. Also of note is that on most vehicles changing the tire size with the Tech2 just changes it in the EBCM for use in ABS calculations....it doesnt affect speedo/odo readings or VSS calculations.

The dealer also cant just change you to whatever size you want...GM will not issue a calibration file for a tire size change that isnt authorized. For example youve got a base model truck with P245/70/17s on it....you put beefy and fairly common LT285/70/17s on it...this isnt going to get approved by GM as its not a size thats an option on that truck and its not designed to use that much tire. I got through this ALL the time with customers.

Not too mention that here we "only" charge $175 to change tire size with GM calibrations.

Comment

• diesel71
                • Feb 2008

worst case scenario you can purchase a superchip flashpac for $350 bucks and change the speedo and tire size"s. if I remember right it will change from 26 threw 38 inch tires. search superchips #2841.

Comment

• Witsend
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2012

Best case Scenario

Customer accepts the fact that he knew he was speeding because he was told when he bought the oversize tires the speedometer would read slower than he is actually going.
                  Since he's likely not as good at rounding off decimal points as he is at rounding up cattle , he decides to follows someone in another pickup with proper stock size tires and finds out what the speedo error actually is at specific posted speed ranges and takes and sticks little red arrows on lense and writes the speed numbers on them with a sharpie where the needle sits when those speeds are reached

Comment

• meatwad
                    • Mar 2011

Tell him to buy a cheap gps and use that

Comment

• rangie1980
                      • Jun 2014

Thanks Everyone for the Good Advice

The truck is a company truck. I maintain a fleet to trucks and this driver took his company truck and put big mud tires on it. The driver also speeds a lot, we have GPS tracking on the trucks and the GPS is always showing him hard braking, hard cornering and speeding. The boss said to not touch truck, wait till these tires wear out and go back to stock tire size.

Comment

Working...